Author Topic: The Duke  (Read 2057 times)

Michael Rolls

Re: The Duke
« Reply #30 on: Feb 19, 2021, 12:40:59 PM »
perhaps I should have bought a duck pond
Mike
😁😁😁
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Michael Rolls

« Reply #31 on: Feb 19, 2021, 01:04:48 PM »
one of the things I never understood. Both in the NHS and local government, I came across a coterie of middle level administrators who saw it as their mission on life to explain why things could not be done, rather than to fond ways in which it could be done. The very worst example I encountered was when Surrey's health and welfare departments were combined. I inherited responsibility for the office accommodation for Surrey's Registrars of Births, Deaths and Marriages. As he handed over the files, he assured me I had nothing to worry about - hadn't needed to spend anything on them in years. I did a tour of the offices  - none of which had ever seen my predecessor - and was appalled at what i found. The very worst was in Cranleigh in SW Surrey - once identified as the largest village in England.  The office was a partitioned space on the local pub. Just imagine it - you come to register the death of your nearest and dearest in a wretched little cubby hole rocking to the noise of the pub's inhabitants. It took me nearly a month to find somewhere more suitable, and every bloody day I cringed at the thought that folk would identify me with what had gone on before
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

biglouis

« Reply #32 on: Feb 19, 2021, 03:55:33 PM »
There are notes on the HMRC website about how to calculate allowable expenses on working from home.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Diasi

« Reply #33 on: Feb 19, 2021, 04:51:42 PM »
one of the things I never understood. Both in the NHS and local government, I came across a coterie of middle level administrators who saw it as their mission on life to explain why things could not be done, rather than to fond ways in which it could be done. The very worst example I encountered was when Surrey's health and welfare departments were combined. I inherited responsibility for the office accommodation for Surrey's Registrars of Births, Deaths and Marriages. As he handed over the files, he assured me I had nothing to worry about - hadn't needed to spend anything on them in years. I did a tour of the offices  - none of which had ever seen my predecessor - and was appalled at what i found. The very worst was in Cranleigh in SW Surrey - once identified as the largest village in England.  The office was a partitioned space on the local pub. Just imagine it - you come to register the death of your nearest and dearest in a wretched little cubby hole rocking to the noise of the pub's inhabitants. It took me nearly a month to find somewhere more suitable, and every bloody day I cringed at the thought that folk would identify me with what had gone on before
Mike

I was a 'doer', a problem solver & an innovator during my time with what is now the DWP.

It did me no favours whatsoever & I strongly suspect it held me back at promotion time.

I'd have risen nearer to the top if I'd stayed as a time-served old sweat who did the job as it had always been done.

I certainly got no thanks for computerising our regional section.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

xetog

« Reply #34 on: Apr 09, 2021, 12:50:58 PM »
Well, he's dead now, so lets pay some respect.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

klondike

« Reply #35 on: Apr 09, 2021, 02:05:42 PM »
I think you missed the thread you were aiming for...
So long and thanks for all the fish

xetog

« Reply #36 on: Apr 09, 2021, 02:12:41 PM »
No, just didn't want to start a new thread.

mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

klondike

« Reply #37 on: Apr 09, 2021, 02:15:09 PM »
There's already one running on his death.
http://www.pensionersforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,27517.0.html
So long and thanks for all the fish

Wandering Walter

« Reply #38 on: Jul 04, 2021, 06:00:37 PM »
I have had private medical insurance for years , its more affordable these days since the financial fiasco in 2008 lots of people stopped it to save money so the prices were reduced to entice people back .

As for the Royal Family they have Physicians retainers who will examine and treat them ASAP the Queen has her own personal Physician last one was killed in a cycling accident about 4 or 5 years ago.

Phil the Greek went into a private hospital at first, but when he needed heart surgery transferred to Bart's in London as it has a large world renown Heart Unit same as any other heart patient no matter who they are 
Never enter the world of Conspiracy Theorists, it is the pathway to madness