Author Topic: Ban on Incandescent Lamps  (Read 2510 times)

John

Ban on Incandescent Lamps
« on: Jun 13, 2009, 11:33:36 PM »
New EU directive for minimum requirements on household lighting

To combat climate change the European Union has agreed to phase out conventional light sources that are energy inefficient.

According to an EU Directive, from 1st September, 2009 manufacturers and importers may no longer sell
incandescent lamps with an output of 80 W (950 lm) or more or which are frosted and not in Energy Class A.

Clear lamps with more than 950 lm must achieve at least Energy Class C, and ones with less than 950 lm at least Energy Class E.

Lamps in Energy Classes F and G will be banned from -1 September 2009

Ban on Sale of 80 Watt or more Incandescent Lamps - 1 September 2009

Ban on Sale of 65 Watt or more Incandescent Lamps - 1 September 2010

Ban on Sale of 45 Watt or more Incandescent Lamps - 1 September 2011

Ban on Sale of 7 Watt or more Incandescent Lamps - 1 September 2012

There are some wonderful low energy lamps around now. But you need to shop around because the prices vary even across supermarkets.

Morrisons have done better than most.  They have had some excellent supported offers on lamps.

There is no lamp that I have seen that cannot be reduced to one of lower energy.  I expect to see even more types and solutions as this restriction kicks in.

p diddy

Re: Ban on Incandescent Lamps
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2009, 11:46:27 AM »
my life has not been the same since it was a real shame

Wrinkles

« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2009, 02:40:05 PM »
Typical EU thinking and taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut.
I have had Low energy bulbs in my house for years, even before the price became "reasonable", but there are a couple of incandescent bulbs still in use.  In the lounge we have a couple of LE table lamps but the main lamp is incandescent, why because it's on a dimmer and for the reason that now and then we need a really strong light to see various things, small print, fine detail, threading a needle etc, light that just isnt available from the LE unless you put 25W+ which you don't need all the time. The alternative is to put the very much more expensive LE that can be dimmed.
Eventually ALL incandescents will be banned so what about my security lights. When they are activated you would have to wait for ages before they come up to full brightness. Would it not have been more sensible for the EU to have increased the price of incandescent by way of green tax to a level above LE's then there would be a choice and source of payment to offset the green (supposed) issue.
These Law/Directive makers never consider the future, the UK smoking ban is an example, no smoking in offices, shops etc, we all know that. However it was decreed that ALL of these building MUST display notices to that effect, not just for a while  or until everybody got used to the idea, but forever. Every new building for the next x hundred years MUST display no smoking signs. Would I be unduly cynical if I suggested that the law makers [probably had a stake in the sign industry  ::)
Inside every older person is a younger person
wondering what the hell happened?

John

« Reply #3 on: Aug 08, 2009, 10:30:43 AM »
Sticking with light bulbs. We have seen nothing yet.

You will have the light you seek with LED bulbs. But with any technology there is a balance between releasing what you need to do the job and selling you interim items commercially.

We are in the interim period where LED bulbs do not quite do the job and can be expensive.

It must always be remembered whatever the green issues are. Electricity production is a business. The less efficient an electrical item, the more money they make (plus 5% VAT and other climate levy Stealth Taxes).

Incandescent lamps for all their marvel are extremely inefficient. Liken to gas guzzling vehicles. You can get lamps that warm up in seconds now, this is normally reflected in the price.

charlie gracie

« Reply #4 on: Aug 09, 2009, 07:27:23 PM »
 I am fed with the powers that be in the  European union (which we never voted for) just  the common market which was for free trade between the member states.  Telling us what light bulbs we can use, is ridiculous  I have tried these so called carbon friendly bulbs and they ain't as good as the tried an tested bulbs we have used for years.
Before they ban them i shall stock up with enough light bulbs to see me out. i am 71
And with great pleasure see clearly "til the end "and stick two fingers up to the idiots, who try to control us. when you look at the map of the world there is no way this little country is going to make any difference in the morbid fear of global warming,
OUR politicians should  concentrate on issues that matter to this country.

John

« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2009, 11:36:58 AM »
86% of the law and directives are now funnelled into the UK from Europe.

Apart from long holidays and unlimited perks, including second and more jobs.

Members of Parliament (MPs) have never had it so good. Their cushy edge was

tainted by the leak of the last 4 years of expenses. But look on the bright side

there were plenty of years of take and make. The cheap all you can eat and

drink in the Houses continues. Plus you can claim thousand of pounds for food

and drink on top. Onk! Onk!

Papaumau

« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2009, 12:25:52 PM »
While this does look like just more dictation from Europe it is in fact simply good common sense to get rid of old, inefficient and expensive technology and replace it with much "greener" and efficient stuff.

I agree that low-voltage or some LED bulbs are not as bright initially as tungsten filament bulbs are but if we give them a short time to warm up they almost produce the same amount of wattage output that bulbs that are more than five times more expensive and power-hungry can.

Old codgers like me are inclined to resist new stuff just for the resistance-sake but sometimes if we just stop and think for a while we will admit that new is not necessarily bad.

Talking about LEDs; another bit of new kit that is soon to come to Britain is LED televisons where the new LED-pixel technology will produce even better pictures with deeper blacks and more intense colours and just like when TVs went from monochrome to colour this will be another step forward that many will resist for resistance-sake. Not me !

Take a look at this new technology here:
http://www.samsung.com/uk/experience/television/led/index.html
Regards....

Papaumau.