Author Topic: A bit of history  (Read 916 times)

Michael Rolls

A bit of history
« on: Jun 16, 2021, 06:16:26 AM »
In 1120 Henry I returned to England after four years of campaigning in France, leaving his son and heir, the 17 year old William Adelin to follow shortly afterwards. William left Barfleur in the famous White Ship, which promptly sank. With the exception of a local butcher who had been on board to collect money owed him by various nobles (didn’t know about this until reading an article last week) everyone on board drowned.
This left Henry with no legitimate male heir. He reigned until he died in 1135 and persuaded the nobility of England to accept his daughter, Matilda – also known as Maud – as his successor, but when Henry died Matilda’s cousin, Stephen of Blois, seized the throne, despite having given his oath to Henry that he would support Matilda’s claim to the throne. That resulted in civil war, one less known than that in the 17th century but one which lasted considerably longer, waxing and waning until petering out in 1152, and known as the Anarchy. Stephen died in 1155 and was succeeded, not by his own heir, but by Henry, son of Matilda, who became Henry II, a succession that had been agreed with Stephen before his death.
One of history’s great ‘what ifs’. Had William not died in the White Ship the 12th and 13th centuries would have looked very different. William would have been 32 when his father died, time enough to have created his own line of succession. So, no King Stephen, no Henry II
I have known about the White Ship disaster for many years, but I was fascinated to discover that its wreckage may now have been discovered by a diving expedition off the coast of Barfleur, an expedition which included (although not as a diver) Earl Spencer, the brother of Diana, Princess of Wales.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Wandering Walter

Re: A bit of history
« Reply #1 on: Aug 02, 2021, 08:50:47 PM »
Very informative I enjoy history but did not know about the White Ship thank you
Never enter the world of Conspiracy Theorists, it is the pathway to madness

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Aug 02, 2021, 09:38:45 PM »
You are very welcome, sir
Mike

Alex22

« Reply #3 on: Aug 02, 2021, 11:20:41 PM »
I find history so much more interesting now, than when I was at school  ;D

zoony

« Reply #4 on: Aug 03, 2021, 12:01:19 AM »
I think that in those days teachers weren't interested in imaginative teaching or having fun while learning except for a few exceptions..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Diasi

« Reply #5 on: Aug 03, 2021, 01:10:36 AM »
Mike posted about this on the 16th June & his first reply was on the 2nd August.

That almost makes Mike's post a bit of history in it's own right. ;D
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Aug 03, 2021, 04:00:32 AM »
I can’t even remember why I posted it, but it was something to do with the legitimacy of the monarchy raised in a thread
Mike

Diasi

« Reply #7 on: Aug 03, 2021, 10:04:29 AM »
I can’t even remember why I posted it, but it was something to do with the legitimacy of the monarchy raised in a thread
Mike

I think your post may have related to something that Richmond, the Jacobite, posted.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

klondike

« Reply #8 on: Aug 03, 2021, 10:27:06 AM »
I find history so much more interesting now, than when I was at school
My school history syllabus was European Political history over some date range which eludes me now. It seemed to feature the Corn Laws, Repeal of the Corn Laws and probably the reinstatement of the Corn Laws delivered in a monotone by a master who was probably doing it from memory. O level grades ran from 1 to 9. I achieved a 9. Sadly 1 was the top grade and the lowest pass was a 6 which iirc represented 40%. The only subject I failed at O level.

I find many documentaries on historical events interesting though.
So long and thanks for all the fish

crabbyob

« Reply #9 on: Aug 03, 2021, 10:33:23 AM »
sadly, what was happening around the world when i was at school
is now history.... :o
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

klondike

« Reply #10 on: Aug 03, 2021, 10:37:30 AM »
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #11 on: Aug 03, 2021, 11:05:52 AM »
I think your post may have related to something that Richmond, the Jacobite, posted.
Phil
Now .I think about, you are right. I got a bit weary of his desire to rewrite history, so pointed out another, very major, ‘what if’
Mike

GrannyMac

« Reply #12 on: Aug 03, 2021, 11:44:17 AM »
I like these snippets of history, thanks Mike.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: Aug 03, 2021, 11:49:10 AM »
you are very welcome, ma'am
Mike

1955vintage

« Reply #14 on: Aug 20, 2021, 08:42:07 AM »
I was very lucky at school, as we started at 11 studying the 1066 arrival of the Normans, and worked through the next three years to the Tudors and Stuarts followed by Cromwell., which covered O level.  For A level we started at Pitt the Younger and worked trough to 1939. So apart from the bit between Cromwell and Victoria, we had it covered, but we were encouraged to read up on that period for completeness.

Various snippets, like Morton's Fork, stuck with you.