Author Topic: Concreting over Amersham  (Read 1350 times)

Diasi

Re: Concreting over Amersham
« Reply #30 on: Jun 21, 2021, 11:49:18 AM »
How come you get emails from GCHQ and I don't ?

CCHQ, not GCHQ. ;D
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #31 on: Jun 21, 2021, 12:23:38 PM »
I think that they feel ‘levelling up’ actually means ‘levelling down’, which I have also heard of from other areas
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

klondike

« Reply #32 on: Jun 21, 2021, 01:25:05 PM »
Which of course is correct. If I spend money on a new kitchen then that's money I can't spend on a refurbed bathroom. Unless I can find that elusive magic money tree of course but most of the bark and leaves have gone from that let alone any fruit.
So long and thanks for all the fish

sparky

« Reply #33 on: Jun 21, 2021, 01:36:27 PM »

CCHQ, not GCHQ. ;D

Whoops, its was just that whenever I see what I mistook on this occasion, my ears prick up, "I will say no more," having to shoot you from this far away would be bloody difficult . ;) ;) ;)

Cassandra

« Reply #34 on: Jun 21, 2021, 02:10:12 PM »
I would like someone to explain what can be done, within the law, to stop someone sailing from France and claiming asylum here.   Priti Patel, Boris et al have no clout on their own.  Trafficking needs international cooperation if it is going to be stopped, and I don't see much sign of that happening.

GM, the simple answer is no. It would conflict with our treaty as conveners for the European Convention of Human Rights of 1950. Specifically article 8. There are many 'precedents' in law that therefore preclude us taking the actions you proffer.
Asylum claims and trafficking are not mutually inclusive in the eyes of the law, they are separate matters indeed the EHCR has no legislative powers against 'Trafficking'.

Unless stringent new international legislation is created addressing the latter, the parcel will continue to be passed by short term career politicians I fear.

Also 'international law' is difficult to invigilate even if a jurisdictive decision has been passed in court. France is a renown flouter of such decisions at both ECJ and International Law Court levels.

Our very act of intention to deny landing to 'Asylum seekers', or not passing humanitarian aid to those at danger on the seas would violate our vows under the ECHR.

The Convention was created in the shadow of the the Holocaust and approaching it's 70th year in November. It needs overhaul, but who will be brave enough in theses days of cancel culture and woke to suggest such cathartic consideration?

My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

klondike

« Reply #35 on: Jun 21, 2021, 04:27:52 PM »
I don't know but if they stood on that ticket in the right seat they may well upset the applecart of the hand wringers...
So long and thanks for all the fish

GrannyMac

« Reply #36 on: Jun 21, 2021, 05:06:39 PM »
Thank you for the explanation Cassandra.  None of it comes as a great surprise, TBH.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Diasi

« Reply #37 on: Jun 21, 2021, 05:23:27 PM »
Thank you for the explanation Cassandra.  None of it comes as a great surprise, TBH.

The problem is that many laws & schemes are drawn up by well-intentioned people who have zippo knowledge of the real world & to whom it never occurs that people will abuse them.

When Beveridge created the Welfare State I doubt that he had a single clue that it would open the floodgate to families who are now in the 4th generation of members who have hardly done a day's work in their lives.

The same lack of foresight applies to the asylum laws & rules.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

GrannyMac

« Reply #38 on: Jun 21, 2021, 06:00:03 PM »
I can't disagree re the Welfare State Diasi. You worked in the benefits area, I worked for local authorities.  I met people who rarely if ever, worked. The effort that some put into claiming everything under the sun, including disability benefits, would open a lot of people's eyes.  That attitude often went along with with an exaggerated sense of entitlement, which is passed down to their children.

Fortunately they're a minority, but with the shortages of staff many businesses are currently facing, perhaps 'no jobs' won't cut it any more. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #39 on: Jun 22, 2021, 08:28:55 PM »
Be good if it could
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Akbuk

« Reply #40 on: Jun 22, 2021, 10:01:09 PM »
That by-election vote was a classic case of, “local lives matter”.
You go full throttle against your constituents on a single issue and you could well take a fall.
I’m a real he/him.