Author Topic: Overcharging for Electricity on Economy 7 Tarrif  (Read 1568 times)

Eddie1738

Overcharging for Electricity on Economy 7 Tarrif
« on: Oct 02, 2011, 03:01:15 PM »
I had a new electricity meter installed several weeks ago which now requires me to scroll through a menu for readings.  Part of the menu includes the clock and I noticed that the time was set for GMT and not BST which meant the clock was 1 hour slow.   As I set most of my appliances to come on at midnight eg washing machine I thought I would be getting night rate charges, whereas because of wrong clock setting I was in fact still paying day rate charges.   I contacted my electric company who advised that all time clocks for every electric supplier are permanently set at GMT so for 6 months of the year the time is out by 1 hour.   When I complained to thenm (Atlantic, Electric nd Gas trading name for Scottish and Southern Energy) they immediately gave me a £20 credit.  When I asked for £20 for previous 3 years they initially refused until I told them I was going to watchdog and Ombudsman.  They immediately gave me a further £60 credit making £80 in all.   
So if you are on an economy 7 tarif get onto your electicity compaany and demand a similar credit for every year you have been with the company.  Also do like I did and contact Watchdog.  I am now £80 bettef off than I would have been.  It is time to claim your refund - don't delay - check your clock setting today before clocks go back to GMT

Dottie1943

Re: Overcharging for Electricity on Economy 7 Tarrif
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2011, 03:05:12 PM »
Eddie1738

WELL DONE MY SON!!!!!

I love it when the Grey Votes get their own back!!!!!!

You have done so well and highlighted a fact that I dont think any of us had thought about, so now everybody check your meters this is a wonderful way of getting some of your money back! ;D

EDDIE welcome to the forum too ;D ;D ;D
Breath in Breath out then repeat only when necessary!

PuffTheMagicDragon

« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2011, 03:52:20 PM »
Hi Eddie, nice one mate :).
I used to work for one of the regional electricity companies, before and after privatisation, and when people complained, they would always try it on until the customer persisted, or took it further, to the ombudsman or the press etc. So yes, always cause a fuss, and don’t give in.

Puff
OnOn......

Rita Postlethwaite

« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2011, 10:08:48 AM »
Welcome Eddie, NEVER let them get away with it if you are in the right. Well done. ;D
Never look down on anyone, unless it is to offer your hand to help them up.

Papaumau

« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2011, 12:41:46 PM »
Oh Eddie...I wish more people were like you !

The British psyche - I have found - is just not wired correctly, in the main, to make us complain when we should. I sometimes get so frustrated by people who allow themselves to be abused just because they feel that "they" ( the abusers ), are the people "in the know" and if they are doing it, it must be right.

You talk about the programme Watchdog and you are right that that programme has made many more people aware of just what they can do when they feel they are being ripped off by companies or individuals.

It and the internet, where people can get together in many ways, is slowly bringing the laid-back Brits a bit more forward so that we are more liable now to make a scene in public when we are being treated badly than we used to be.

This is great as when it does happen, ( and it is backed up by good information ), it means that the regular rip-off merchants are set back on their heels by such customer resistance.

Once again, well done Eddie, and I hope that your example brings many more Brits to the cause.  >:(
Regards....

Papaumau.