Author Topic: WDYTYA  (Read 411 times)

zoony

WDYTYA
« on: Oct 13, 2021, 08:02:36 PM »
  Thoroughly enjoyed the latest Who Do You Think You Are on Josh Widdicombe. He's not a comedian I particularly like but it was a fascinating journey to take with him. No spoilers but it's worth a watch.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

GrannyMac

Re: WDYTYA
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2021, 08:58:37 PM »
Absolutely.  Just watched it, so interesting.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

crabbyob

« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2021, 10:36:14 PM »
i just caught the last five minutes.... i do enjoy that kind of prog.
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

zoony

« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2021, 11:07:28 PM »
Indeed.. I've seen most of them, even watched one or two or three of people I dislike, for no particular reason and found understanding of them in the filming. I still dislike 'em but now it's more logical.

cowboy wisdom.

zoony

« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2021, 08:23:36 PM »
The new season is proving a cracker. First master Widdicombe and now a gob-smacked Judy Dench! It's an astonishing history of which she new nothing.. Mind, I was annoyed with her middle-class reverse oikism by referring to her lovely father's Military Cross and bar as "badges" he got for bravery! >:(  So it needed to be good.

cowboy wisdom.

GrannyMac

« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2021, 08:33:23 PM »
I enjoyed last night’s too. I wish I had that kind of access to my family records!

R. Gervais

zoony

« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2021, 09:29:48 PM »
Aye.. All I have is a box of old LPs.. :-\

cowboy wisdom.

GrannyMac

« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2021, 10:39:13 PM »
😏

R. Gervais

granny moss

« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2021, 07:30:38 AM »
My ancestors were aristocrats.....Austrian. Got their history from 12th Century. Most of them were Jurisprudents...The first couple were : Giovanni Battista Canciani......and Angelica Reverand.......My close grand parents were...:Giovanny Battista Canciani ....and Angelica Reverand.... I found that extraordinary coincidence ! :o gmx

Michael Rolls

« Reply #9 on: Oct 21, 2021, 07:51:38 AM »
My ancestors, dad’s side, were publicans!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Wandering Walter

« Reply #10 on: Oct 21, 2021, 08:10:28 AM »
On my Dads side Cotton Mill workers from North East Lancashire, on my Mothers side from the North East miners
Never enter the world of Conspiracy Theorists, it is the pathway to madness

GrannyMac

« Reply #11 on: Oct 21, 2021, 08:35:01 AM »
Our lot are a real mixed bag. The Irish protestants from Dublin on my dad’s side have proved very difficult to trace.

R. Gervais

klondike

« Reply #12 on: Oct 21, 2021, 09:30:20 AM »
I think my granddad was a poacher. One of my wife's unknown number of greats grandfather has a plaque in a local village. Sadly it was as the last man put in th village, stocks for drunkenness and wife beating.

Post Office. Records show that Williams Deacon was paid £2.7s. 6d for new stocks and 2s. 0d for a new lock in 1836. However in 1833 a William Baucott was put in the stocks for being drunk and beating his wife – the last time the stocks seemed to have been used.

http://www.littlehoughtonvillage.co.uk/village-stocks/
So long and thanks for all the fish

1955vintage

« Reply #13 on: Oct 21, 2021, 10:17:47 AM »
When I retired I had a dig into our family. I had four very interesting grandparents, all with a tough life .

Dad's dad lost his mother as a young boy and ran away from home and an evil step mother at 13. Lovely gentle kind man who shovelled coal into a furnace at a glass works. Had the touch of a pickpocket on the billiard table.

Dad's mum was orphaned at four and was brought up by her chain smoking, card playing seamstress maiden Aunt Lucy.

Mum's Dad was posted to Kent from Newcastle in the King's Royal Rifles in 1916 , married Gran and died in 1933 when she was carrying their ninth child.

The first thing I discovered was that his family had moved across from Ireland a generation before (Dunlavin, County Wicklow), then I saw their marriage certificate. They had married one month after my grandmother's 16th birthday , and three months after the birth of my uncle Clifford, their first born. I then discovered that my grandfather had never left Kent throughout the war, never seen combat service, so the family myth of him being a sniper and gassed as a hero was complete baloney.

I was then banned from doing any more work by my mother. Now she is gone, I may decide to start again.

crabbyob

« Reply #14 on: Oct 21, 2021, 12:03:37 PM »
a cousin did ours going back to the early 1700s and placing us in Kings barn in Fife... my grand-daughter wanted to do ours until i pointed out my father never had a father. his mum and his grandmother suddenly retreated to their highland home, from Hamilton, for six months then came back with a little brother for his mum, crazy days... his real mum was manageress of the co-op bakery when i was a kid and when my gran took me in to buy summit this lady came flying down from her office plucking my cheeks ect..lol... then gave me a beautiful big cream cake, my gran asked for it to be put in a paper bag as i was going home for lunch... i was devastated when my gran accidentally dropped it outside the shop....and that was the only time i ever saw her although we lived about a hundred yards from that shop... do you suppose my gran made a bit of a statement that day?
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”