Author Topic: Martyr who burned at the stake for being protestant commemorated with a plaque  (Read 421 times)

Bee

A PLAQUE has been unveiled to commemorate a martyr who was burned at the stake as heretic in Harwich.
The plaque was placed outside the New Bell Inn in Outpart Eastward, which is believed to be on the grounds of the town’s punishment area during the Tudors’ ruling.
The memorial, which was the joint effort of Essex Protestant Council and Harwich Town Council, will encourage people to dig deep into the past and remember everyone who fought to speak their mind freely.
William Bamford, who was a weaver of Coggeshall, was executed in 1555, the second year of the reign of Queen Mary I of England.

Also known as William Butler, the weaver was sent by Coggeshall police to Harwich along with five other men who were following the protestant faith.
https://www.harwichandmanningtreestandard.co.uk/news/19657236.plaque-unveiled-new-bell-inn-harwich-commemorate-martyr/

This took place in the town I live in and the councillor in the photo is my nephew.
The only way is up....

Jacqueline

What a brave person who would die for their faith, I can't imagine what these poor people went through. Can't comprehend having faith like that.   Personally I would have said I was any faith I  was told to to avoid the Stake, their god certainly did nothing for them.

We have a square in Carmarthen where Bishop Robert Ferrar of St David's was burned for being a Protestant, Bloody Mary has a lot to answer for, mind you so have many more.  Bloody religion must have taken more lives than anything else.

crabbyob

i will be having a word with God about this when i see him...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Sciatico

If I ever meet a god I will set its beard alight.