Author Topic: celebrity-obsessed society  (Read 2953 times)

caminito

celebrity-obsessed society
« on: Jan 01, 2012, 07:21:39 PM »
British children are growing up in an 'empty' and 'destructive' celebrity-obsessed society that is breeding unrealistic expectations of wealth, an education minister warned today.

Schools Minister Nick Gibb hit out at the consumerist, 'got to have it now' culture and said children must be taught to live within their means.

Millions of children will 'take wild risk' when they are adults unless they learn about how to survive in a materialistic world,

Also their role models live flakey lives with no stability or the faintest idea about marriage or relationships.

They change partners like we change our shoes !

Russell Brand’s 14-month marriage marriage to Katy Perry is over   ???

Perhaps the "celebrities should be issued with a " temporary wedding license " valid for two years !

Dottie1943

Re: celebrity-obsessed society
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2012, 08:37:17 PM »
I was amazed it lasted as long as it did, that was a match made in the media cutting room nt in heaven >:(
Breath in Breath out then repeat only when necessary!

Oldtimer

« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:55:49 AM »
Its my opinion but I think Russel Brand is a shallow person Anyway?
If you cannot do someone a good turn never do them a bad one.

Maisie

« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2012, 10:15:30 AM »
Its my opinion but I think Russel Brand is a shallow person Anyway?

I don't think he is necessarily shallow - probably coping the best way he can. I have been reading his biography on wikipedia - he had a very difficult childhood and I guess he is possibly permanently scarred by it. He's a great actor, by the way. I saw his in the film adaptation of Shakespeare's The Tempest, in which the lead was taken by Helen Mirren. I was very impressed by his performance.
Maisie

Oldtimer

« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2012, 10:18:29 AM »
Yet he made a fool of himself with the rather chilchildish phone call scandels?

Maisie

« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2012, 10:19:18 AM »
British children are growing up in an 'empty' and 'destructive' celebrity-obsessed society that is breeding unrealistic expectations of wealth, an education minister warned today.

Schools Minister Nick Gibb hit out at the consumerist, 'got to have it now' culture and said children must be taught to live within their means.

Millions of children will 'take wild risk' when they are adults unless they learn about how to survive in a materialistic world,

Doesn't Nick Gibb realise that our entire economy is supported by unrealistic expectations of 'wealth', which have been raised by commerce in collusion with banks, and governments? That's why international credit card debt is so high. Are we not currently experiencing what happens when these expectations are not realised?

Maisie

caminito

« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2012, 11:15:25 AM »
An article in the Guardian ....

Young people take their tone from what they observe and experience around them, so it is worth briefly identifying the sort of behaviours which lead to their disaffection. They are daily confronted with the greed, corruption and social illiteracy of a feral uberclass which authorises a raunch culture driven by celebrity, whose mantra is best summed up in the ubiquitous assurance that "you're worth it". From Prime Minister's Question Time to the proliferation of Xbox games, they are made witness to the success of violence, bullying and confrontation. The sporting arena offers the triumphalism of testosterone overload, reinforced by the misogynistic braying from lad-mags. The merchant community have encouraged them to believe that it is right to "want it all and want it now". Essentially, today's young people are offered a contaminating iconography, increasingly in their face, whose misbehaviours they understandably mimic.

However the core to the whole issue is the phenomenon of social deficit. In a toxic alliance between politics and the market place, we have all been transformed from citizens with mutual needs into consumers with competing appetites. No amount of 'outward bounding' is going to cure this sickness.

Angelo

« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2012, 11:49:54 AM »
I would find it hard to disagree with any of the article posted by Caminito. Most of the so called celebrities are of no consequence what so ever, they have little or no talent or personality but attain their celebrity by being STUPID. Using shock as a vehicle to get themselves noticed. Our generation for the most part are unimpressed and un shockable. Unfortunately the press and media collude in this proliferation of Trash!  
Lacking any prospects of decent jobs the young think that this is an easy way to fame & fortune. They need to know it is not either. At best it is ephemeral and worthless.

Deetta

« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
Caminito - Guardian article is spot on, couldn't have summed it up better myself.  I see this attitude all around, keep telling my materialistic daughter what we had to grow up with after WW2, but she just can't understand what it means to do without. :(

caminito

« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2012, 01:12:43 PM »
From a Telegraph article ...
They want it now ....

The younger ‘generation’ are partly to blame for their own misfortune because many fail to follow their elders’ example by starting to save early. They have come to expect regular foreign holidays, among other treats once regarded as luxuries, often funded by credit cards taken out earlier than their parents did.

A third of the people surveyed who are now in their thirties spent more than half their net income on leisure and entertainment when they were in their twenties, compared to a fifth of those who are now in their fifties and sixties. Most of the younger generation now expect to holiday abroad an average of 2.5 times a year, whereas a quarter of baby boomers never travelled overseas in their twenties.

David Thomson, a director of the CII, said: “Despite the current financial climate, the younger generation is more likely to spend money on a meal out rather than put it in their pension pot, as their older counterparts might have done.

“Holidays abroad are now an accustomed treat for 20-year-olds rather than a luxury for baby boomers, many of whom never took overseas holidays at that age and where a vacation might have meant a week in Norfolk rather than a beach in foreign climes.

Oldtimer

« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2012, 01:39:03 PM »
The live now pay later generation? or not pay!!

Rita Postlethwaite

« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2012, 05:10:43 PM »
I find it really rich that any MINISTER should talk about people living within their means, talk about the teapot calling the kettle black!  >:( If banks, government and media advertising weren`t constantly encouraging everyone to overspend then maybe the country wouldn`t be in the mess it is in now. ::)
Never look down on anyone, unless it is to offer your hand to help them up.

Dottie1943

« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2012, 06:49:50 PM »
going off topic slightly here, I saw a news thread on TV over the holidays where it was saying that people who had less than 15,000 pounds of debts could declair themselves insolvent and after 6 years it would be wiped off the system!!!! what is this saying to youngsters these days go out and spenbd, get into debt then go bankrupt because it is expected of you!!! :-\
Breath in Breath out then repeat only when necessary!

Rita Postlethwaite

« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2012, 07:49:54 PM »
It`s a mad mad world Dottie.  ::)
Never look down on anyone, unless it is to offer your hand to help them up.

Angelo

« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2012, 07:54:38 PM »
If I remember rightly we were obsessed with Roy Rodgers, but it only lasted till we got home from the saturday morning pictures. Then we playd footie, or cricket ( bat & ball) and for got all about them till next Saturday.
Those were the days ?