Author Topic: A Different World we live in now.  (Read 861 times)

Maywalk

A Different World we live in now.
« on: Mar 07, 2012, 03:25:56 PM »
I had my cleaner call this morning and she always has a cup of coffee with us before she goes off to do another job.
While talking to her this morning about things in general she said her rent would be going up and although I have had her quite a while coming to us I had never enquired of her private life although I have asked after her two boys.
I asked her if she lived in a council house and she said yes and the rent will be going up to £85 this week and to top it all some sort of spyhole that was already in the door had worked loose and dropped out and after telling the local council they said it was her responsibility and to have a new door fitted. To say I am amazed at this would be putting it mildly. NOT everyone has the means of getting a deposit together to take on a mortgage and I am not ashamed to say that hubby and I used to live in a council maisonette many years ago. We were lucky and through hard graft managed to save for a deposit for the bungalow that we have now but I feel SO sorry for those stuck in a situation like this.

I was also gobsmacked ..........not a pleasant word but the only one I can think of to describe my reaction at the time...........when she told me her 13 year old lad was learning at school about condoms and how to use them to avoid getting venereal diseases.  :o
YES it is good for youngsters to learn these things but I thought that is what parents were for.  ???
Maybe I am old fashioned but I am glad I went to my makeshift evacuee school to learn the three Rs plus my maths and history and managed to get through life without having lessons about sex.
What makes it more baffling is there are MORE children being born to unmarried mothers and most of them dont know who the father is.

Oh Boy!!!!!!!!!! its a different world we live in now.

Rita Postlethwaite

Re: A Different World we live in now.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2012, 03:46:46 PM »
Hi Dottie, My mother will have lived in her council house for sixty years in May. Having been widowed in her very early thirties and with five children to support she never had the chance to purchase her own home. Having said that she would not move even if she could, having buried her husband and her son from the house it holds her dearest memories.
I had to smile at your "sex in schools" observations and I too feel that they are taught too much at too early an age these days. However, many parents duck out of their obligations when it comes to sex, especially in older generations. It would shock most people nowdays to hear that when I was forteen years old a friend shockingly told me the tale that she had been out walking with her parents when they had seen "one of those things that men use". For a few months I thought that men must have periods too until I plucked up courage to ask my grandma who put me straight on a few things. My mother was quite unapproachable on such matters!
Never look down on anyone, unless it is to offer your hand to help them up.

Maywalk

Re: A Different World we live in now.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2012, 04:05:04 PM »
In my day when I heard someone mention French Letters I thought they had come all the way from France.  ;D ;D ;D

My mother was unapproachable too Rita. It was my sister who was 7 years older than me who put me right. DONT ask me who told her.
I would not be able to tell you because she died some years ago.