Author Topic: spanish banks  (Read 7910 times)

caminito

spanish banks
« on: May 25, 2012, 07:35:41 PM »
A report on channel 4 tonight!
 Unemployed spanish workers are now coming to the end of their 18 month benefits in droves . Banks have been "modifying" mortgages for those that could not pay so that they did not show on the accounts as foreclosures . This is now impossible for the banks to do in such large numbers .
 So the banks will have massive loses for the mortgage defaults and property prices will crash by 50 %.

Dottie1943

Re: spanish banks
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 09:00:51 PM »
Dam!!!    Missed it !!!
Breath in Breath out then repeat only when necessary!

caminito

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 05:22:54 AM »

Dottie1943

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 11:54:38 AM »
Thanks Caminito I will watch it later today :)

Dottie1943

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 05:17:27 PM »
I knew that this was happening in Spain where the mortgages were concerned but it suddenly hits home just how bad it is when it is described in such graphic detail.

I wonder what would happen to Brits who have purchased a second home in Spain, who still have a home in the UK if they owe money to the Spanish bank, could they come back and get the home owner to sell their main home to pay off the holiday homes mortgage?

caminito

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 05:31:55 PM »
As we are in the EU ,then the spanish banks CAN chase the brits for any money owed .
I have read of this happening already . Nowhere to hide !

Dottie1943

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 05:35:32 PM »
As you say Caminito nowhere to hide these days but no doubt there will be some who think they can leave there troubles behind!

caminito

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 05:53:10 PM »
One way people can find out if they  are liable  , is to look at the BOP and the province !
Example.... BOP Malaga and type into the buscar (search) their name. That will show any denuncies !
If it's tax liabilities then both governments have reciprical arrangements

Dottie1943

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 08:06:17 PM »
Thats a great site, I am going to have fun with this one thanks ;D

caminito

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 09:19:58 AM »
Maybe the Brits doing a runner from Spain can follow the lead of Irish on how to dodge debts ?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/may/27/irish-dodge-debts-uk-bankruptcy-tourism

Dottie1943

« Reply #10 on: Jun 09, 2012, 10:25:05 PM »
Well there you go!!! After saying for weeks they did not have a problem suddenly they have got one hundred billion problems!

I am so glad finally the UK have dug their heels in and said nothing is coming from us for this bail out

Oldtimer

« Reply #11 on: Jun 10, 2012, 07:03:17 AM »
I think Diddly David and Boy George are playing Monoply with our money?
See Senor!!
If you cannot do someone a good turn never do them a bad one.

xetog

« Reply #12 on: Jun 10, 2012, 11:49:37 AM »
We have what we call our "bolt hole" in Spain.  It's a little inland from the coast on the southern Costa Blanca and in a predominently Spanish area.  It's a two bed apartment which we had converted into a 1 bed to give us more living space, overlooking farmland.  We always regret it being locked up for so long each year, but this has been a common things amongst Brits who just want some sunshine in the winter.  Our fear now is that we will go out one day and find the place occupied by squatters as there are now so many Spanish with neither jobs or homes.  It feels somewhat selfish to have such a place now, but to sell at this time would involve us in a huge financial loss.  We could let it out cheap, but the legal issues surrounding that in Spain are complex.  We do hope to go over later this year for a couple of months, so we will see what happens then.
M.
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Dottie1943

« Reply #13 on: Jun 10, 2012, 03:16:44 PM »
Xetog

As you know we used to live in Spain and loved it, but hated the way the Spanish people, sorry should say some Spanish people treat  Brits and other ex-pats. I also hated the fact that they only told you what they thought you wanted to hear, that also applied to their own kind where authorities were concerned, now it's come home to roost for them and is biting them on their bums!

I love Spain and most of the Spanish people and will be going back on holiday this year some time, but really feel they have themselves to blame, being greedy and loaning people too much money for second homes and homes they can't afford, same thing happened over here but at least I knew my money was safe, I did not have much but what I have got I want to keep ;)

xetog

« Reply #14 on: Jun 10, 2012, 04:10:25 PM »
There are some things we love about Spain, some we hate, but I guess that's the same about most places.  Generally we don't have problems with Spanish people of our own age, but the younger generation do appear to begrudge the ex pat's their place.  I guess the elders remember what things were like before the EU ploughed so much of our money into the country.  Two things we can't stand: The corruption (yes they will always tell you what you want to hear even when they know it's a lie) and the treatment of animals.  We are not people you would call animal lovers, we have no pets.  But the ill treatment of animals as a normal situation sometimes has to be seen to be believed.  I suppose thats why all animal sanctuaries are run by ex pats!  Many of the properties around where we are are holiday homes for the Spanish from the cities.  There are now loads of those up for sale for silly money, because they just can't affort the mortgages they took out inh the good times.  At least we bought with cash, but are now not sure if that was wise.  We have friends, Spanish and ex pats who are literally hanging on by the skin of their teeth having been seduced by cheap money and lax banks.  As the Euro falls in value, the ex pats are finding things a little easier, but things are getting worse for the Spanish.  Also a lot of Brits were buying places on the basis of their UK sickness benefit.  That has now been curtailed and they have all had to return to the UK.
M.
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.