Author Topic: Spanish driving licence  (Read 13155 times)

300s

Spanish driving licence
« on: Jul 02, 2012, 07:37:28 PM »
Just heard today that if you have lived in Spain for more than 2 years and have not changed to a Spanish driving licence then you are liable for a €400 fine. The Gardia Civil are already making random stops and checking. How they know how long you have lived in Spain I do not know. They must be able to check residencia status from the roadside. Watch out, the Spanish are hard up and they think all expats are rich pickings. I thought my British European licence covered me here in Spain until I reached 70.

Dottie1943

Re: Spanish driving licence
« Reply #1 on: Jul 03, 2012, 12:25:26 AM »
300s

I believe that this law has been in operation for some time, but obviously the Guadia are using it to make up their money as they are self financing.  I got so paranoid in the end living in Spain, although I tried not to break any laws if they wanted to they would find something wrong, your British you must have money!

Breath in Breath out then repeat only when necessary!

Thesheriff

« Reply #2 on: Jul 03, 2012, 06:49:42 AM »
300's

A European Driving Licence  is only legal if you live full time in the country that issued it  & for visiting other parts of the EU.

If you live full time in any other country in the EU  your UK European Driving Licence should be exchanged for a European Driving Licence issued by that country.
If I wake up in the morning - I know it's going to be a Good Day - just consider the alternative !!!!!

Karensun

« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2012, 07:06:31 PM »
Having checked with the DVLA....a European driving license is valid to drive in the EU wherever you live.
If you live abroad when your license runs out you cannot get another via UK but must renew it in the country in which you live.
It is acceptable to have an old address on it but then you will receive no reminder of expiry. You cannot have an EU license from the UK and have a foreign address on it.
However, the Guardia are often singing from a different hymn sheet!

Thesheriff

« Reply #4 on: Jul 08, 2012, 09:57:09 AM »
Karensun,

Yes it does entitle you to drive anywhere in the EU  - providing you are still as resident of the UK.

But if you become a  full time resident of Spain you should have a Spanish issued EU Driving Licence.

and the Guardia are not singing from a different hymn  sheet - they are singing from the Spanish one because that's where we live !!!!!!!

Also leaving it to the last possible moment to change over ie. age 70 - can cause problems - because then the UK Licence will have expired - and you cannot exchange an expired Licence for a Spanish legal Licence !!!!!

300's,

The Traffico Officers  are able to check anything these days  with the Computers they have in their vehicles.
If I wake up in the morning - I know it's going to be a Good Day - just consider the alternative !!!!!

CapnBilly

« Reply #5 on: Jul 26, 2012, 07:56:06 PM »

Yes it does entitle you to drive anywhere in the EU  - providing you are still as resident of the UK.

But if you become a  full time resident of Spain you should have a Spanish issued EU Driving Licence

Sorry, but this is completely wrong.  Under the EU Directive on Driving Licences, a UK driving Licence ( or any other EU country for that matter) is valid for use throughout the EU ( including Spain). If you become a resident of Spain, you  do NOT need to change it for a Spanish one, (providing it is still valid)

If you believe this is wrong, then you need to post a link to the EU directive which confirms this change (which would be in contravention of everything the EU is currently working towards i.e freedom of movement). The latest directive which comes into force in 2013, is designed to provide more harmonization , not LESS.

Directive 2006/126/EEC of 20 December 2006 will replace directive 91/439 19 January 2013.
The new rules introduced by directive 2006/126/EC will reduce possibilities of fraud, guarantee a true freedom of movement for EU drivers and reinforce safety on European roads.

Dottie1943

« Reply #6 on: Jul 26, 2012, 11:57:32 PM »
Not entirely wrong because the car is registered at the owners uk home address and if they are now residents in Spain then that is now their home address not the uk. You really cannot have it both ways. Dottie

Capn Billy

« Reply #7 on: Jul 27, 2012, 05:31:25 PM »
Not entirely wrong because the car is registered at the owners uk home address and if they are now residents in Spain then that is now their home address not the uk. You really cannot have it both ways. Dottie

I would agree with that if this post was about a Spanish resident driving a UK registered car, but it's not, it's about using a UK driving licence, presumably in a Spanish registered car, although nothing was said about the car being driven.

Thesheriff

« Reply #8 on: Jul 28, 2012, 08:16:50 AM »
Capn Billy,

It is actually against Spanish Driving Laws for a Spanish Resident - who holds a Spanish Driving Licence to drive a Car that is not Spanish Registered  -  It is also against the Law for  a Spanish Registered Car to tow a UK Registered Trailer or Caravan  and Vice Versa - they have their own rules out here no matter what the EU Rule - fall foul of them at your peril.

It's OK saying argue the toss with the Guardia Office & tell him - his and his countries Laws are against the European Law - but how long do you sit and cool your heels for in prison while your case is awaiting trial ?????

As Dottie mentioned  there a many out here running around in illegal vehicles - No Tax  /  No MoT /  No Insurance   God help anyone involved in a accident with them - they think because they have put their Car through the Spanish MoT and on the back of this got insured they are Ok - Not So.

See the article below by David Searle who occupation is publishing Books - updated every year on all aspect of Spanish Law including Driving in Spain.

Capn Billy

« Reply #9 on: Jul 28, 2012, 05:28:17 PM »
Capn Billy,

It is actually against Spanish Driving Laws for a Spanish Resident - who holds a Spanish Driving Licence to drive a Car that is not Spanish Registered  -  It is also against the Law for  a Spanish Registered Car to tow a UK Registered Trailer or Caravan  and Vice Versa - they have their own rules out here no matter what the EU Rule - fall foul of them at your peril.

Agree with that

It's OK saying argue the toss with the Guardia Office & tell him - his and his countries Laws are against the European Law - but how long do you sit and cool your heels for in prison while your case is awaiting trial ??? ??

Interesting point for debate

As Dottie mentioned  there a many out here running around in illegal vehicles - No Tax  /  No MoT /  No Insurance   God help anyone involved in a accident with them - they think because they have put their Car through the Spanish MoT and on the back of this got insured they are Ok - Not So.

Agree with that

So, I don't necessarily disagree with your last post, but it has morphed into a discussion about driving a UK registered car whereas the original post, and your comments, were about the need to change your UK driving Licence when you become a of resident of Spain, and you do not.

I posted because your comments were made as statements of fact, rather than your opinion. Now, if your opinion is that it is easier to change your Licence, then I think thats a interesting topic for discussion, but there is a difference between fact and opinion. I also think that people who are looking for information about this subject might read your opinion, and consider it fact, when it's not, and they have a choice. I am a great believer in informed opinion.

Thesheriff

« Reply #10 on: Jul 29, 2012, 02:44:37 PM »
Capn Billy,

I will look for and try and find the information that states quite clearly that person who is living in Spain Full Time - and is Registered as a Resident with the Spanish Authorities  - has to hold a European Driving Licence issued by Spain.

A European Licence is only valid if you live full time in the country that issued it.

Capn Billy

« Reply #11 on: Jul 29, 2012, 07:35:47 PM »
Capn Billy,

I will look for and try and find the information that states quite clearly that person who is living in Spain Full Time - and is Registered as a Resident with the Spanish Authorities  - has to hold a European Driving Licence issued by Spain.

A European Licence is only valid if you live full time in the country that issued it.

As I don't want you to waste your time looking for something that doesn't currently exist, the attached form is the one from the DGT website which you use to exchange your UK Driving Licence. As you can see it clearly states ESTE TRÁMITE ES VOLUNTARIO, ergo, it is not necessary.

Dottie1943

« Reply #12 on: Jul 29, 2012, 09:22:56 PM »
Capn Billy, tell that to the Guadia ;D :) ;D

Dottie1943

« Reply #13 on: Jul 29, 2012, 09:27:24 PM »
For some of our newer ex pat forum members who have not seen this before please do watch it is not only so true but also very very very funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XXWZ3uAEKsw

Capn Billy

« Reply #14 on: Jul 29, 2012, 10:37:08 PM »
Capn Billy, tell that to the Guadia ;D :) ;D

Now we are talking about choice, which is different. I'm happy to take my chances .

I've lived in Spain over 5 years, and I've been stopped once, with no problem, BUT,  it is my choice not to exchange my UK Licence. . Others may want to do something different, that is upto them.