Author Topic: winter fuel allowance  (Read 11209 times)

avalonmpk2

Re: winter fuel allowance
« Reply #15 on: Aug 20, 2012, 07:02:33 PM »
You will be back the Spanish economy is Kaput! When the Germans stop footing the bill it will be utter chaos and the British taxpayer wakes up. Why have you not taken Spanish citizenship?
Want your bread buttered both sides?
Stone walls do not a prison make nor iron bars a cage.
Richard Lovelace
DO NOT FORGET TO LOG OFF - REMOVE COOKIES

Dottie1943

« Reply #16 on: Aug 20, 2012, 07:08:25 PM »
A lot of ex-pats that belong to this forum have infact taken up Residencia status and some citizenship so dont just assume they have not.
When Roy and I lived there we took up Residencia and total encompassed the whole way of life. ;)
Breath in Breath out then repeat only when necessary!

avalonmpk2

« Reply #17 on: Aug 20, 2012, 07:11:20 PM »
You had the patriotic sense  to come back! And for that I salute you.
Richard Lovelace

Hugh

« Reply #18 on: Aug 21, 2012, 04:24:04 PM »
If you live in the south of Spain where it stays mainly warm during the winter why should you have the right to winter fuel allowance? just a thought. Although in the near future you are going to need every penny you can get your hand on. VAT going up starters for 10.

Dottie1943

« Reply #19 on: Aug 21, 2012, 06:02:02 PM »
Oh dear Hugh I can see several people saying something about southern Spain!

I lived in Almeria southern Spain but was a hilly billy and had snow in the winter perhaps worse than you had here in the uk one year.

Also in the summer the air on is needed because of the intense heat so it is needed and used believe you me :)
Breath in Breath out then repeat only when necessary!

Hugh

« Reply #20 on: Aug 21, 2012, 07:49:40 PM »
I assumed southern spain was warm through the year like many others I expect. The winter fuel allowance is to keep pensioners warm not cool. I can see a good reason for expats not getting the allowance. In UK we are paying very high prices for our fuel and quite abit of tax. All the fuel allowance is doing is giving us is a small return on the fuel tax which we have paid over the year. Expats don't wish to pay high taxes and expect the rewards. My view is they should not get it sorry.

Thesheriff

« Reply #21 on: Aug 22, 2012, 07:19:06 AM »
avalonmpk2,

You seem to know a lot about me and what I will do  - when you know nothing at all ???
We came to Spain in the year 2000 - having decided then that there must be more to life than Working &  Living in the UK and struggling to make ends meet - as we had been over the previous 10 years - I had been Self Employed since the age of 21 - So early retirement at the age of 59  to Spain was our decision.

So we sold up Lock Stock and Barrel in the UK - bought a large Caravan for all the belongings that meant anything to us and set off - a big move because we had never been to Spain for 22 years - and we got off the Ferry at Santander - drove to the South Coast of Spain.
There we sat facing the Sea - and we actually tossed a coin to see whether we went Left or Right from that point.

How many people do you know who have done that - how many do you know who would have even considered doing it - would you move to another country without careful planning where you were going ?? to us it was just another  ' Lets Do It '  adventure  !!!!!

That gives you the idea of what type of people we are - so a little hiccup like what is happening over here at present will mean nothing to us. 

Firstly  - We do have Spanish Citizenship and we pay our Taxes over here -

We do not get the Winter Fuel Allowance  - I am one of the minority that think it is not necessary - even though we lived in a cold area in winter - Most years our total Gas Bill was less than what we were paying in the UK for 3 months supply - and over here Gas was used for Cooking / Heating Water / Heating the House.

Ever since we came out here in 2000 our living expenses have always been a lot less than they were in the UK and it is only this last year when our living expenses have reached 50 % of our income.      So the Spanish Cost of Living will have to rise considerably before we start feeling  the pinch - and Spain according to the latest report is still the second cheapest place to live in the EU.

At present without going into to much detail -  after being here for 12 years - We now have more money in UK banks - than we had when we came out to Spain.

We also have a healthy Current Account out here  & Investments in Spanish Banks which pay a regular monthly income equal to half my Wife's Pension - which actually is more than mine.

All the above  also includes over £ 10,000 we have sent to our Son in the UK who has been struggling for the last  2 years  to keep his head above water ???   

All this goes to making it a long time - before we would even consider moving back to the gloomy weather that the UK can give.

The only downside to our current situation is my health - it is only due to the wonderful Spanish Health Service that I am alive today - having been battling against spreading Cancer since 2009 - I know I will die in Spain.

My Wife who will then be my Widow - because of the good Life Style we have had for the last 12 years -  intends staying here until her health starts to suffer - then she will   return  to the UK to live with our Son - but she will not be a drain on the UK economy.

So get your facts right before making statements on which you know Nowt  !!!!!
If I wake up in the morning - I know it's going to be a Good Day - just consider the alternative !!!!!

Hugh

« Reply #22 on: Aug 22, 2012, 09:07:25 AM »
Thesheriff cool off you are letting small thinks bother you. I for one would loved to have moved away from UK but to Tenerife. Yvonne didn't like the idea so we now spend 3 four week spells in Tenerife during the winter months. Which is the best of both worlds. You are enjoying your life in Spain so enjoy it you only live once. 

Thesheriff

« Reply #23 on: Aug 23, 2012, 10:47:47 AM »
Hugh,

I am cool -  but it annoys me when someone who knows nothing about me - has the nerve to tell me - that   I will soon come running Hot Foot   back to the UK when things get tough ??????
If I wake up in the morning - I know it's going to be a Good Day - just consider the alternative !!!!!

Hugh

« Reply #24 on: Aug 23, 2012, 11:09:39 AM »
It seems to me Thesheriff he was playing the wind up game and you fell into his trap. Not nice but some enjoy doing it. Spain or UK not fond of Spain myself but really enjoy my visit to Tenerife. You are making the most of your pension and doing every right money wise. Many have been very foolish with their money and coundn't return home even if they wanted to. You only live once so enjoy it.

Oldtimer

« Reply #25 on: Aug 23, 2012, 11:19:22 AM »
I think we should get winter Fuel allowance for our cars LOL
If you cannot do someone a good turn never do them a bad one.

Thesheriff

« Reply #26 on: Aug 23, 2012, 04:40:38 PM »
Hugh,

Maybe you're right about Abbyloon - he's not been back to reply -  The is one forum out here that has its more than fair share of Idiots - who do windups - I put it down to the Son cooking their brains - or what little they had to start with - coupled with the amount of cheap booze they probably drink.     Two reasons why I was not expecting something similar on this Forum  !!!!

Maybe he is one that has just done a runner from over here and needs to qualify his reasons ???

Hugh

« Reply #27 on: Aug 23, 2012, 05:21:12 PM »
Hi Thesheriff I have some fun and games on the forum and not allowed them to wind me but done my share of winding. Look an old post of mine BAN POLITICS ON PENSIONERS FORUM July 2010 would have brought it back up but one person on there got banned by someone not to be mentioned on here.

avalonmpk2

« Reply #28 on: Aug 24, 2012, 11:31:11 AM »
To The Sheriff,
With such a long tirade from you I have obviously hit a nerve, could it be that you do in fact feel just a little self conscious?
I have never been to Spain and never will - much preferring Austria, Germany and Switzerland. Incidentally I still do the occasionall job of work, pay tax and get very annoyed when people who are better off than the average taxpayer receive any form of benefit without living here
Richard Lovelace

avalonmpk2

« Reply #29 on: Aug 24, 2012, 11:34:52 AM »
Question to the Sheriff:
How many expats living in Spain  have been prosecuted for benefit fraud?
Check for yourself and then post an apology to me on this site!
Richard Lovelace