Author Topic: Income tax refund  (Read 612 times)

Sheila

Income tax refund
« on: Aug 05, 2012, 10:30:50 AM »
I received an income tax refund which I thought I was not entitled to.  I phoned the 0845 number and almost lost the will to live after the number of options etc. and was on for ages (at my expense).  I posted the cheque back with a covering letter (at my expense) and have since received a ridiculous form to fill in and return (at my expense). >:(
I wish I had just kept the cheque.
By the way, you may wish to learn from my mistake.  I do as much of possible of my banking and building societies online.  It is very difficult to work out how much interest you received if you do not have statements.  I received gross interest so did not get a statement of tax deduction at the end of the tax year which would have given me the information.  I had closed some of the accounts so could not go online to check.  In future, I will keep a note whenever I receive interest in case I have to fill in any more ridiculous and inappropriate forms.
There's something to be said for the old passbooks.
Rant over and back to the housework - which I also hate.

Merrytel

Re: Income tax refund
« Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2012, 10:41:10 AM »
Sheila , I've had some dealings with HMRC recently so I can fully sympathise , especially the length of time you're on the phone before you actually get to speak to a person >:(

It alwasy does help to have a rant though  , don't   it ?

Blow the housework , have a cuppa and a bikkie and put your feet up for half an hour :D
Tel .  

Life is just a very short interlude , between two eternities !

Sheila

« Reply #2 on: Aug 05, 2012, 10:42:36 AM »
Thanks Terry, good advice.

firenze

« Reply #3 on: Aug 05, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »
 :D I have had bisc and coffee so the nitty subject of banks and tax are bearable. Do agree with you re the loss of simple passbooks,cheques etc; - if "they" have their way - . If the big blackout of technology ever happens what then? Perhaps we would find it simple if we had grown with it. :-\
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Rita Postlethwaite

« Reply #4 on: Aug 06, 2012, 04:35:13 PM »
I think something a bit stronger than tea and bickies is called for Sheila!!  ;)
Never look down on anyone, unless it is to offer your hand to help them up.