Author Topic: Funeral Plans  (Read 8521 times)

cheddar-caveman

Re: Funeral Plans
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2012, 11:37:37 AM »
That is good advice firenze. We are doing our best having forked out some £7K on our lifetime trip to Aussie ;D
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

saxman

« Reply #16 on: Feb 16, 2013, 05:12:19 PM »
Hola not sure about this cos this is my first post. Anyway here goes, my Spanish friend told us about a company called Ocaso because Ann and I were worried that in Spain you tend to get buried /cremated the following day. And of course you have to pay straight away. Didn't seem much time to get cash out of ISAS etc.
We are both 65 this year and pay 39 euros a month for the two of us. Could be cheaper in other parts of Spain I believe!
We now feel relieved that if something happens to either of us ,
Ocaso will sort out all. There also is no lead in period ie after one year before making claim like in UK.
Hope this is of help
Regards
David :)

superfish

« Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2013, 05:13:43 PM »
I was paying into an insurance sceme but found that every year we were paying more and more so I cancelled it. As the cost of a funeral is going up each year , last year I think it was 10%,  I have now done a paid up funeral plan with Avalon for both myself and my husband. The staff where very informative and extremely helpful as well, and now at least I have peace of mind that when anything does happen to one of us the one left behind will have no worries,  they  just dial the phone number that was given to us with the paper work and Avalon do the rest. Also if we should ever decide to move back to the UK or another European country the Paid up funeral plan moves with us. Here in Spain you normally have to pay for the funeral before or on the day of the funeral and in most cases your Bank account is frozen. When I took ours out in 2011 I was told that the cost of a Funeral was in excess of 4000 Euros, so the fact that ours cost 5600 euros for both was a very good deal.,(and the money is lodged with Barclays bank in the uk),     but you can pay over 5. 10, or 20 years if you prefer.  You can also get information off the website  regarding Death procedures on www.spnfuneralplans.com/deathprocedures.html. This tells what will happen if your loved one dies in hospital, or at home, plus loads of other information.
I hope this information has been useful, as it is not a subject we like to discuss but I for one am completely as ease knowing that I do not have to worry as my Spanish is not all that good and also where would I find the money at such short notice?

em

« Reply #18 on: Feb 19, 2013, 08:07:50 PM »
I did  not know that Avalon was in the funeral business.
Em.

caminito

« Reply #19 on: Feb 19, 2013, 08:14:29 PM »
He composts everything  ::)

spanishwrinkly

« Reply #20 on: Feb 19, 2013, 11:19:54 PM »
Hola not sure about this cos this is my first post. Anyway here goes, my Spanish friend told us about a company called Ocaso because Ann and I were worried that in Spain you tend to get buried /cremated the following day. And of course you have to pay straight away. Didn't seem much time to get cash out of ISAS etc.
We are both 65 this year and pay 39 euros a month for the two of us. Could be cheaper in other parts of Spain I believe!
We now feel relieved that if something happens to either of us ,
Ocaso will sort out all. There also is no lead in period ie after one year before making claim like in UK.
Hope this is of help
Regards
David :)
Thanks for the info saxman.
I have sent an email and waiting for a reply now, but sounds good.

Thesheriff

« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2013, 08:50:17 AM »
Superfish,

I think you are living in Spain due to the content of your post - and this is probably a bit late for your benefit now - but it may be of use for others.

I honestly do not know where people such as Avalon  grab these numbers from that the quote as Funeral Costs  - I can only assume they are looking at the most expensive items they can find.

We have now had Funeral Insurance for 4 years and you are right - the cost does go up every year - this year € 570.00 for the two of us - but this year I will make on it - with only a maximum of three months left for me.

Our cover is for  € 3,300  quite adequate for a Cremation requiring just a simple Coffin - Up to a weeks stay in the Chapel of Rest - everything you can think of - a lot less than € 5,500 ??

This though was from a Spanish Funerias - with English speaking Staff - I have been told of another since who would do the same for € 1,750 - but no English staff to assist ?  and also a bit far away from where we live
If I wake up in the morning - I know it's going to be a Good Day - just consider the alternative !!!!!

Bombero

« Reply #22 on: Mar 12, 2013, 06:23:20 PM »
Although Fred is correct about the Tanatoria time scale they do charge for this service.

Citizen68

« Reply #23 on: Mar 12, 2013, 08:35:09 PM »
Welcome to Bombero, keep in touch with us all.

Citizen68

« Reply #24 on: Mar 12, 2013, 08:44:46 PM »
Makes you think: I am not an ex-pat (more of an ex-pet), but had not thought about things like funeral arrangements if you are living away from the UK. Bit of a cautionary tale, hope all of our pals on this forum who live abroad have sorted-out arrangements.