Author Topic: ♫♫ Dum-de-dum-de-dum-de-dum, dum-de-dum-de-dum-dum♫♫  (Read 1005 times)

Harley Quin

After a break of 50 or so years, I have returned to listening to The Archers. Thanks to BBC's iPlayer, I listen to it either in the summerhouse or in bed at night - usually the Sunday omnibus programme.

Like most of my interests, I tend to enthuse madly at the start, and looking at the Archers' forum (I won't be registering!), there seems to be a lot of disgruntled listeners, saying that it has turned into a Corrie/Eastenders type soap.

Are any of you avid listeners? I was wondering, if so, what you thought of the way the programme is evolving.

What a wonderful theme tune, a shame they don't play more of it at the end, like they used to.
Harley Quin is a mystery. He appears and disappears unexpectedly and by strange tricks of light and reflections.

Rita Postlethwaite

Re: ♫♫ Dum-de-dum-de-dum-de-dum, dum-de-dum-de-dum-dum♫♫
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2012, 08:00:50 PM »
Sorry Harley, never was one for these continuing dramas and sadly they all seem to go the same way these days.
Never look down on anyone, unless it is to offer your hand to help them up.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2012, 08:11:22 PM »
The only interest we had in the Archers was that my wife's grandfather was Chris Gittins (Walter Gabriel) and we used to go and watch the recordings at Pebble Mill, Birmingham. We also went to his "This is your life" with Eamon Andrews, most amusing!
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

Merrytel

« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2012, 08:15:06 PM »
'' The Archers , a story of everyday country folk , starrin Robin Hood & William Tell ''

ARF ARF ARF

stupid boy
Tel .  

Life is just a very short interlude , between two eternities !

Oldtimer

« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2012, 08:30:19 PM »
William Tell Wern't an Archer he shot is bolt.

He was an Apple Piercer?

"Bernie The Bolt Please."
If you cannot do someone a good turn never do them a bad one.

Harley Quin

« Reply #5 on: Sep 05, 2012, 08:53:44 AM »
Yes, they do all seem to go the same way. I remember Emmerdale Farm, in the 70s. Annie, Henry, Amos and all the lovely country folk. A cliff hanger was a missing sheep! Nowadays it's affairs, deceit and all the other vile things that are of such interest today. We have 4 box-sets of the Farm on DVD, and still love the early years of the soap.
Harley Quin is a mystery. He appears and disappears unexpectedly and by strange tricks of light and reflections.

Jane Marple

« Reply #6 on: Sep 05, 2012, 09:28:39 AM »
Fraid I've not heard the Archers since I was living at home before I was married, so unfortunately don't know how the stories have progressed with the times.  It's like all the soaps etc as mentioned, they have to move along and keep themselves updated to hopefully keep the audiences.  But everyone will have their favourite moments in time from each episode.  I remember the very first Coronation Street episode.  And look at the soap now!!  I don't even watch Corry anymore and haven't done for years.  But Emmerdale has always been my favourite, ever since the first episode of Emmerdale Farm.
"Don't you know?" said Miss Marple.
"No, I don't," said Craddock.  "Do you?"
"Oh, yes, I think so," said Miss Marple.  And she twinkled at him.

Merrytel

« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2012, 09:37:58 AM »
ENA SHARPLES FOR PRIME MINISTER ! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Tel .  

Life is just a very short interlude , between two eternities !

Harley Quin

« Reply #8 on: Sep 05, 2012, 09:42:20 AM »
Now there was a femme formidable!

Jane Marple

« Reply #9 on: Sep 05, 2012, 11:24:01 AM »
And who played her grandson.  Davy Jones of the Monkees, now deceased.  He was taken from the world of music much too young!! :( 
"Don't you know?" said Miss Marple.
"No, I don't," said Craddock.  "Do you?"
"Oh, yes, I think so," said Miss Marple.  And she twinkled at him.