Author Topic: Classical Music  (Read 16400 times)

Citizen68

Re: Classical Music
« Reply #30 on: Apr 13, 2014, 06:46:08 PM »
BD, hear, hear. I enjoy most classical music, which has the power both to soothe and revive.

Have to say I am not so keen on some off the 'new' pieces such as creep in to the Proms nowadays. One or two of them just sound like a cacophony of noises, to me: definitely not my cup of tea.

laird

« Reply #31 on: Apr 17, 2014, 08:13:44 PM »
we must all accept our taste of music and say yes to good classical music without upsetting others taste of music. l guess l am lucky as I accept all peoples taste.

laird

« Reply #32 on: Apr 18, 2014, 09:38:53 PM »
1812 overture is in my mind the greatest classical music ever, try it and accept the beauty of it

Bills Double

« Reply #33 on: Jul 04, 2014, 10:03:59 AM »
 :) :) :) :)

I have just listened to the final movement "Ode to Joy"of Beethoven's 9th Symphony on Classic fm, it's part of my all time favourite piece of music by my favourite composer.  ;) ;) ;) ;)
"Happiness is a voyage, not a destination & growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional".

FLICKR ACCOUNT: www.flickr.com/photos/bills_doubl

stellamaris

« Reply #34 on: Jul 04, 2014, 12:33:41 PM »
I haven't seen you before laird, but I am catching up.  Are you Scottish by any chance?  That would be good.   I used to love the 1812 overture when I was a lot younger, but haven't listened for a while.  My next obsessional piece was Faure's Requiem, but have not listened to that recently either.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

Citizen68

« Reply #35 on: Jul 04, 2014, 12:57:26 PM »
BD, what do you think about your favourite piece being chosen by the EU as their 'anthem'??

Granny49

« Reply #36 on: Jul 04, 2014, 04:37:54 PM »
Thank you Stellamaris for mentioning Faure's Requiem.  I nipped on to Youtube and played the beautiful "In Paradisum".  If you close your eyes and let it wash over you it certainly sooths the soul.

Thinking of Requiems has anyone noticed just how often (and inappropriately) Mozart's requiem is used in advertising these days.  It's another favourite of mine - I sang it with my school choir when I was young - but although I love to hear it it's often just a snippet ... such a sad way to treat beautiful music.

Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.

Phil

« Reply #37 on: Jul 04, 2014, 05:35:52 PM »

I have just listened to the final movement "Ode to Joy"of Beethoven's 9th Symphony on Classic fm, it's part of my all time favourite piece of music by my favourite composer.  ;) ;) ;) ;)

I once went out with a girl called Joy & on one occasion she had to lend me a tenner.

I gave her a note which said 'owed to Joy, 10 pounds'

Lol !!

;D

"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

Bills Double

« Reply #38 on: Jul 06, 2014, 11:44:20 AM »
BD, what do you think about your favourite piece being chosen by the EU as their 'anthem'??

C68 - It's a piece of music that unfortunately was used in the last war by the Germans in their propaganda campaign, therefore the EU using it doesn't overly upset me even though I'm anti-Europe - to me it's a fantastic piece of composing by a composer who was totally deaf & for him to produce such an epic piece of such diverse passages from pianissimo to fortissimo, also Beethoven was the first composer to include a choir in a symphony.  ;) ;) ;) ;)
"Happiness is a voyage, not a destination & growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional".

Bills Double

« Reply #39 on: Jul 06, 2014, 11:46:58 AM »
I once went out with a girl called Joy & on one occasion she had to lend me a tenner.

I gave her a note which said 'owed to Joy, 10 pounds'

Lol !!

;D

Phil -  very droll !!!!!!!  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Johned

« Reply #40 on: Jul 25, 2014, 01:03:55 PM »
I have to say that is a good one Phil!

Yellowbird

In spite of everything
« Reply #41 on: Jan 25, 2015, 01:20:34 PM »
When we were younger, more able and richer we spent a lot of time in London and other Cities, seeing Opera, and Ballet and listening to Classical Concerts. Alas on retirement finding ourselves unable to travel as we had done, we thought our Pleasurable Hobby was over, now we have discovered Live performances being shown at the local cinema, with special prices for pensioners.  Joy, we are able to join other like minded people and enjoy once again Opera Ballet and other Musical Wonders. :)
Born sceptic grown even more sceptic sadly

Citizen68

« Reply #42 on: Jan 25, 2015, 01:47:13 PM »
Yellowbird, I agree, I think this is a great innovation.  :) :)

Bills Double

« Reply #43 on: Oct 28, 2015, 06:42:14 PM »

I thought I'd resurrect this thread seeing we've got so many new contributors on the form.

Can anyone remember their first live concert they went to - mine was at the old Gaumont Theatre in Chester [situated by the Canal] when I was 13 years old as a birthday present from my parents. The programme consisted of:

- Overture: Rossini's - Overture to Semiramide.
- Concerto: Tchaikovsky's - Piano Concerto No: 1 in B flat minor.
- Symphony: Beethoven's - Symphony No 5 in C minor.

This was my first introduction to live Classical concerts which started my love of Classical music. I was always very aware of Classical music prior to this special encounter as my Father was an excellent church organist with whom I used to accompany him to church whenever he went to practice as well as listen to him play on our piano - he was an excellent improviser as well.

Since then I've been lucky enough to listen to live concerts as well as sing in with various choirs whilst on my travels. Those were the days. BD  ;) ;) ;) ;) 

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #44 on: Oct 28, 2015, 09:12:26 PM »
I've never been to a full classical concert, more's the pity, but I've attended many piano recitals in several countries, also been to Glastonbury Abbey classical weekends - brilliant.  
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625