Author Topic: pension credit mixed aged couples help  (Read 17185 times)

Phil

Re: pension credit mixed aged couples help
« Reply #30 on: Feb 17, 2013, 01:18:25 PM »
Phil,
Your posts of advice are so clear and of benefit..no pun intended, to enquirers who must be helped by them.

Thanks firenze.

I try to ensure that what I post is factual & based on current or impending regulations since it could impact on other forum members who read my posts.

I see absolutely no merit in posting what I or anyone else think the regulations should be.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

forrestgumph

« Reply #31 on: Feb 17, 2013, 01:49:32 PM »
Personally Phil I have found your posts very helpful and I can understand them unlike some posts I read, thank you.

Phil

« Reply #32 on: Feb 17, 2013, 02:21:45 PM »
Personally Phil I have found your posts very helpful and I can understand them unlike some posts I read, thank you.

Thanks forrestgumph,

I'm aware that I must come across as nit-picking & pedantic but I can't emphasise enough the importance of both correct facts & correct terminology when discussing issues relating to contributory State Pensions & means-tested, tax-funded non-contributory benefits.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

maggiezed

« Reply #33 on: Feb 23, 2013, 11:37:32 AM »
 When universal credit is introduced in October 13 mixed aged couples will be treated as working age until both couples reach Pension Age, unless they (as a couple) were in receipt of Pension Credit before the change over.
 Until October 13 if one member of a couple is over State Pension age then both partners, regardless of the age of the younger partner, are eligible to claim Pension Credit, which is around double that of working age benefits. eg Jobseekers/Income support for a couple is £111.45pw, Pension Credit is £217.90pw
 You need to got to AgeUK or CAB to get a better off calculation to see if you would be better off living alone or together. Once you have that calculation - will you be better off if you and your partner move in together? you will then have to think of stage 2 - Introduction of Universal Credit.
 As it stands at the moment, when Universal credit is introduced, New claimants for mixed aged couples will be classed as working age. State Pension will be treated as income and deducted from benefits. These couples are not protected from Council Tax increases or the Bedroom Tax. These couples will not be able to claim any pensioner benefits such as extra heating allowances
This change is in the Welform Reform Act 2012 which is now in law and comes into effect in October 2013
There are Universal Credit Pathfinders starting in April 13, which are in the NW England, Tameside, Oldham, Wigan and Warrington
Initially those who will take part in the pathfinder will only be single unemployed people. If this goes Ok then more complicated cases will be added.
If you are not in these areas then Universal Credit will be rolled out Nationally in October 13.

If you are in receipt of Pension Credit before October 13 then you will not be affected by Universal Credit and will keep the higher benefit (Pension Credit)
Steve Webb Pensions Minister is well aware of this fact, but at the moment there is no grass root movement, just a few who know what is going to happen, as most people do not know of this change.  I have been involved in campaigning against this for the last year, and can definitely say that at the moment there are no plans for this change to be shelved.
There is also a twist is the tail if the older person is female - Toy Boy Tax - Please type into Google: "Toy Boy Tax for pensioners" as these thread doesnt allow external links
We need people to contact their MP's as there will be a lot of pensioners living in isolation and poverty for many, many years if this is not stopped.

80 yr old on PC
54 on ESA

pamwe chete

« Reply #34 on: Feb 23, 2013, 12:37:20 PM »
Hi Maggiezed,
Do you have a link to the source of your frightening info please?
When the people are afraid of government we have anarchy, when the government are afraid of the people we have democracy :-)

Phil

« Reply #35 on: Feb 23, 2013, 02:07:45 PM »
Exactly what I've said about contacting the CAB or other expert body.

It's also crucial to get an actual calculation in pounds & pence as well as a summary of what part of the regulations will apply & which won't apply because any change in circumstances could have a devastating financial effect if not thought through very carefully.

I do have to say to, however, that those of us who don't qualify for pension credits have had many years in which to come to terms with losing out on all benefits & not just reductions in some of them.

Phil

« Reply #36 on: Feb 23, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »
Hi Maggiezed,
Do you have a link to the source of your frightening info please?

The Rightsnet forum has some interesting blogs on it.

maggiezed

« Reply #37 on: Feb 23, 2013, 06:25:13 PM »

Sorry Phil which reference in particular do you want as I did try to put some links in and couldnt
 I got involved last year after I had been sent a link to a Parliamentary Standard Note SNO1439 - section 3.1  
The draft regulations for Universal Credit were published on 15 June 2012. These provide that where one member of a couple is over the qualifying age for State Pension Credit, but their partner is below the qualifying age for claiming Pension Credit, then benefit support will be available through Universal Credit and not Pension Credit  
If you Google: welfare reform SI approval motions universal credit   - it will take you to Citizens Advice Briefing to the House of Lords on Feb 15th 2013
I took part in a call for evidence at The House of Lords in July last year and I submitted this evidence to the Social Security Advisory Committee along with   Citizens Advice and Ageuk
The additional waiting period has not really had much publicity, in fact the above Briefing is the first time I have seen any mention of the additional years.
I have letters from Steve Webb stating that the Government is not going to put a pensioner premium in Universal Credit.  
At the end of the day if all mixed aged couples are going to be treated equally when Universal Credit is introduced, then its very harsh and people are going to suffer. - Its a bad law that needs changing.  
But, what is also happening is, that a small group within the mixed aged couples group, (where the older partner is a female, hence the name Toy Boy Tax),  will incur an additional penalty, and that penalty in January 2014 is an extra 4 year waiting period. 
That is not right any way you look at it.
My MP was written to Steve Webb for the fourth time asking him how he will help this particular group - I am still waiting for an adequate response.   

Phil

« Reply #38 on: Feb 26, 2013, 12:17:49 AM »

Sorry Phil which reference in particular do you want as I did try to put some links in and couldnt
 I got involved last year after I had been sent a link to a Parliamentary Standard Note SNO1439 - section 3.1
The draft regulations for Universal Credit were published on 15 June 2012. These provide that where one member of a couple is over the qualifying age for State Pension Credit, but their partner is below the qualifying age for claiming Pension Credit, then benefit support will be available through Universal Credit and not Pension Credit
If you Google: welfare reform SI approval motions universal credit  - it will take you to Citizens Advice Briefing to the House of Lords on Feb 15th 2013
I took part in a call for evidence at The House of Lords in July last year and I submitted this evidence to the Social Security Advisory Committee along with   Citizens Advice and Ageuk
The additional waiting period has not really had much publicity, in fact the above Briefing is the first time I have seen any mention of the additional years.
I have letters from Steve Webb stating that the Government is not going to put a pensioner premium in Universal Credit.
At the end of the day if all mixed aged couples are going to be treated equally when Universal Credit is introduced, then its very harsh and people are going to suffer. - Its a bad law that needs changing.
But, what is also happening is, that a small group within the mixed aged couples group, (where the older partner is a female, hence the name Toy Boy Tax),  will incur an additional penalty, and that penalty in January 2014 is an extra 4 year waiting period. 
That is not right any way you look at it.
My MP was written to Steve Webb for the fourth time asking him how he will help this particular group - I am still waiting for an adequate response.   

It was pamwe chete who wanted a link & more information.

After a 25 year connection with the benefits system I'm reasonably au fait with the the regulations, but thanks anyway.

The unfairness started in April 2010 when the adult allowance was withdrawn which means that although married, my wife & I only get a single person's State pension. Age Concern actually thought that this was fair!!

granny bee

« Reply #39 on: Feb 26, 2013, 08:05:29 AM »
The idea of the bureaucrats is obviously to confuse the already confused elderly, many of whom will not apply for what they might be eligible for, and thus the object of any new system implementation is achieved i.e. to save money!!

Phil

« Reply #40 on: Feb 26, 2013, 11:52:07 AM »
The idea of the bureaucrats is obviously to confuse the already confused elderly, many of whom will not apply for what they might be eligible for, and thus the object of any new system implementation is achieved i.e. to save money!!

In a word, yes.

lincolnlass

« Reply #41 on: Oct 23, 2018, 04:34:16 PM »
[font=]maggiezed I hope you are still reading post's in the forum.  Do you know if there as been any changes in regarding to adding a premium for an older partner of a mixed couple.  Also you please direct me to the group trying to campaign and hopefully put a stop to the changes for mixed aged couples.  I would be most grateful.  

Diasi

« Reply #42 on: Oct 23, 2018, 09:30:46 PM »
maggiezed I hope you are still reading post's in the forum.  Do you know if there as been any changes in regarding to adding a premium for an older partner of a mixed couple.  Also you please direct me to the group trying to campaign and hopefully put a stop to the changes for mixed aged couples.  I would be most grateful.

Hello lincolnlass & welcome to the forum,

maggiezed who you hope is still reading the messages & can give you some advice hasn't been on the forum since 2013.

On checking the members profiles it seems many of them haven't posted for a number of years.

Peterpensioner hasn't been on since Nov 2017 & Phil hasn't been on since Aug this year.

Anyway by using some of the links in the old posts, I've come up with this site which may help you but, as has been suggested in some of the posts, the Citizens Advice would be a good place to start.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Universal-Credit-And-Pension-Age
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)