Author Topic: just a bit of tripe  (Read 979 times)

Aptis

just a bit of tripe
« on: Jan 18, 2010, 10:17:20 AM »
   The following may seem like a story made up, it may seem like a story that should be told on Halloween or even Christmas purely for the pleasure of the audience. But at the time; the strangeness of the event was overwhelming. My character is such that my feet are firmly planted on the ground, I am of a mind that I need proof positive of things such as lay lines, spiritualism, ectoplasm, ethereal energy and the like. And yet; this outlook on that particular day was somewhat dented if not punctured.

Have you ever been inside a ghost story, I mean have you been involved in one? Not one made up, not one that someone told you about; but actually seen or heard something that was totally unexplainable. Well I have, I know not if this was some kind of ghostly illusion, or a prank perpetrated by persons unknown. For if it was the later, then I know not who it was intended for or the reason for it. But if you analyse it, it seems to be a lot of trouble for very little reward. It is for this reason that I lay the facts before you and it is up to you to say the why and the who of this odd circumstance. There is only one thing that I guarantee and that is what I now relay to you is the truth, and this I would swear to on a stack of bibles.

About  thirty five years ago and a very short time after we moved into this house, we had a cold winter with intermittent snow falls. The two girls were very young and my son had not yet been borne, but it was one of those winters that children love. On that particular day the slate grey skies continued to empty their contents onto the ground and the snow fell thick and fast. It was not the weather to be playing out nor was it conducive for walking abroad or visiting friends. But by about eleven at night the snow stopped and the skies cleared, and the park outside our house was lit as clear as day by what seemed to be an extra large silvery blue moon. A smooth blue white blanket of fresh snow lay like a carpet across park, road and tree alike. It really was very chocolate box and very Dickensian, if I had seen a coach and four drive past it certainly would not have looked out of place.

It was just after one thirty in the morning when we got to bed and would welcome sleep with open arms for it had most definitely been a long day. The time now would have been about one forty five, and then it happened. Have you ever been in a position that you hear something, and you instinctively know that it’s not right? So much so that the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, and in order to hear it more clearly you actually stop breathing to listen. Well as I lay in bed that happened! I heard the voice of a small child, not just the voice of a child but more especially the voice of a little girl. I heard it as clearly as one person can hear another speak, “Maarrmee Maarrrmmeee”. It was the voice of a little girl who was obviously out having a very happy time with its mother. It was the sing voice of a little girl of about four or five; I knew the sound as I had two girls of a similar age at the time. Since we face the park there was only one place that it could have come from. At that particular time we didn’t have double glazing so it was perfectly possible to hear people talking outside, or even follow a conversation of those on the other side of that single sheet of glass, more especially in dead of night.
   Then with hairs raised on the back of the neck as it came again, Maaarrrmmmeee  MMaarrmmeee. By now I was running short of air from holding my breath, so with the air rushing from my lungs I whispered to my wife “Did you hear anything”. The whisper came back “Yes, a little girl calling for its mother”. By now every hair on my body was standing to attention, the questions running through my mind, the who the why, at almost two in the morning. With this I leapt out of bed and flung the curtains wide. There was nothing, not a thing moved. That blue white carpet was still there, none of it disturbed, not a footprint, no child, no adult, nothing to account for the voice. I stood looking out at that scene for more than twenty minutes, and still nothing, nothing moved. It was so still out there that the scene may well have been painted on the glass. There was nothing to fear in that small voice, the child herself seemed happy and content. The strangeness came from out of place it was, for who would take a child out at that time of night to play in the snow. And why did we hear no adult voice, as well as no marks at all in that virgin snow. My wife and I must have stood and listened for another twenty minutes before going down and making a cup of tea. It had certainly had unnerved the pair of us, in the day perhaps we may not have given it a second thought, but at night, in the bitter cold?

We have never heard it since, but we got the impression that this little child was very happy and content. I have no explanation for this nor has anyone I have told this to. It has been said that it may have something to do with what lies to the rear of our house. To the front, as has already been stated is a large park with trees dotted around the edge. But to the rear we have St Marks Church and a graveyard that contains headstones dating back to the early eighteen hundreds. No, this is not made up, and it happened just as I said. I may have had my doubts if it had only been me that heard it, but since my wife heard exactly the same thing I did; then who knows.       

We have never heard it since, but we got the impression that this little child was very happy and there was no fear or menace in that tiny voice. I have no explanation for this nor has anyone I have told this to. It has been said that it may have something to do with what lies to the rear of our house. To the front, as has already been stated, is a large park with trees dotted around the edge. But to the rear we have St Marks Church and a graveyard that contains headstones dating back to the early eighteen hundreds. No, this is not made up, and it happened just as I said. I may have had my doubts if it had only been me that heard it, but since my wife heard exactly the same thing I did; then who knows. I give you these facts, it is up you as to what you make of it, and I certainly have no explanation. But if we look at the possibilities -- Dog? No. Human? No, none in sight. Cat? Cats won’t go out in the rain let alone plough through nine inches of snow. I won’t say it was a ghost, all I will say is that it was something that happened and that my wife and I have no explanation for. You can make your own mind up.

I find it hard to believe that there are such things as ghosts, for if this were true and life forms generate a ghost image after death, then why do we only hear of humans and his close animal ghosts. Why have we not heard of ghostly dinosaurs, ghostly aardvarks or ghostly dodo’s. Now if one were to wake in the dead of night and find a ghostly raptor standing there; yes that would be scary. Considering the millions of life forms that have gone before us, the human mind seems to be very selective as to the ghosts they see. This having been said I still have no explanation for that night, so make of it what you will. 

Ghost

I find it strange the mind of man
For he sees those ghosts where e’er he can
He sees them at the church at night
They make him jump and give him fright
What are these things that give him fear
And can he see if they draw near

The question that really bothers me
Is it ghosts they do but see
And why is it we never hear
The ghost of weasel, stoat or even deer
Perhaps a ghost of fly or gnat
Of slug or snail or even rat

But think on this, yes even more
Why not ghost of dinosaur
If it’s true that ghosts abound
And in each animal a ghost is found
Then all of us must find and get
In contact with our ghostly pet

Xanado

Re: just a bit of tripe
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
Nice one --- liked the story --- is it true

Aptis

Re: just a bit of tripe
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2010, 09:12:58 PM »
Yes - It was the only time I have had anything like a ghostly experience. I never was a believer and although that really did happen I still don't think it was a ghost. Although I still can't explain it. That poem that I wrote a while back; shows what I really think about ghosts. I think a lot of people want to believe in ghosts because it gives them hope that there is something after this. Me ----- I don't hold out a lot of hope for that!