Author Topic: Listening to the radio.  (Read 16867 times)

firenze

Listening to the radio.
« on: Feb 03, 2014, 01:11:14 PM »
Do others find listening to modern music on radio difficult, all that is heard is a cacophony of sound and thump thump.  Off it goes and a CD of yesterday's music on.  When pop was music of the ilk of
Dire Straits or Gallagher and Lyle the Beatles even it did not have thump thump.  Am I missing something?  Black mark to anyone who says Youth! ;D
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Maywalk

Re: Listening to the radio.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2014, 02:40:43 PM »
Got to agree with you Firenze.
Not only the music, its some of the ruddy lyrics to the so called songs too.
Mind you I am going deaf so that could account for it but even if I wear ear phones its still a load of gobbledegook to me.
I can hear the sounds of the big bands that I love but I cant hear my beloved Warsaw Concerto and London Fantasia played on the piano as well as I used to.
Sod this getting old business. :(

Henry Wilks

« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2014, 04:55:15 PM »
The wireless isn't what it used to be! Radio 2 has turned into what Radio 1 was. Gone are the melodic tunes, it's all bang-bang pop now. Blimey, aren't I sounding like an old grump! Radio 4 can be good - although not as good as the old Home Service. At least we still have The Archers to listen to! The cacophony of commercial stations (all sounding just the same, apart from Classic fm) are ruined by adverts, and local radio is often pretty dire. Bring back the Light Programme!

Johned

« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2014, 06:34:58 PM »
I listen to an American station online called Radio 365live which streams a range of music to suit all tastes.  Try it.

Rita Postlethwaite

« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2014, 11:37:37 AM »
I agree Henry, Radio 2 has just become a shadow of Radio one and now gets turned off more than it is turned on! Would rather listen to our own choice of music which I know wouldn`t be everyone elses taste but it keeps us happy.  :D
Never look down on anyone, unless it is to offer your hand to help them up.

Lisa

« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2014, 01:12:01 PM »
We have also gone back to playing our old CD's and cassettes. Hardly ever listen to the radio. Watch the news  on teli. and that is about it nowadays. Must admit todays so called music is just a jumble of noise, neither the singer or musicians in tune with each other.
Always put your brain in gear before opening your mouth.

MARTIN

« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2014, 04:44:43 PM »
We have also gone back to playing our old CD's and cassettes. Hardly ever listen to the radio. Watch the news  on teli. and that is about it nowadays. Must admit todays so called music is just a jumble of noise, neither the singer or musicians in tune with each other.
But find this good to listen to.  :)
http://www.1959bhsmustangs.com/VideoJukebox.htm

peterpensioner

« Reply #7 on: Apr 13, 2014, 05:33:48 PM »
Oh no, what goes around comes around. I remember my parents back in the 60’s saying “what is this rubbish you are listening to”, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones – “that’s not real music”.

Citizen68

« Reply #8 on: Apr 13, 2014, 06:56:15 PM »
peterpensioner, that was true but doesn't it all seem melodic and full of lyrics compared to some of the latest? I heard a 'new' one being promoted the other day, it was something like 'I can't trust you like I used to -' just repeated over and over again.

un1corn

« Reply #9 on: Jul 14, 2014, 04:20:29 PM »
Hi Firenze, My music taste varies almost daily, I used to listen to Classic FM quite a lot but now am an avid listener to Smooth radio.
I enjoy the light classics and often download music and burn CD's for my own pleasure.
But having said all that, when I feel a bit down and need cheering up I will play the sound tracks of Saturday Night Fever (The Bee Gees), most popular when I was a teenager............

firenze

« Reply #10 on: Jul 14, 2014, 06:39:05 PM »
Hi Un1corn hope you are well...do not forget it is obligatory to  get to your feet and give Travolta a run for his money :D  Beegees music pleases me too when in the doldrums.  Did you see Robin has a posthumous disc to come, the brothers really gave radio a lift in their day which ended with the early demise of all of them but Barry.

Mark Twain.

Rita Postlethwaite

« Reply #11 on: Jul 14, 2014, 07:19:07 PM »
That is a lovely post Un1corn, I have to make an admission, if I want to dance and really let go then I listen to McFlys Five colours in her hair, it always leaves me laughing!  ;)
Never look down on anyone, unless it is to offer your hand to help them up.

un1corn

« Reply #12 on: Jul 15, 2014, 07:39:57 AM »
Thanks Rita, Regrettably my actual dancing days are a distant but happy memory, but back in the day..............

firenze

« Reply #13 on: Jul 15, 2014, 12:21:32 PM »
Ha! Rita one of the younger ones McFly indeed ::) Must say I rather fancy Harry :-[

Mark Twain.

un1corn

« Reply #14 on: Jul 15, 2014, 12:54:57 PM »
I have to admit that McFly is to loud and busy for my taste, maybe I am really getting old........