Author Topic: Poor maths - again!  (Read 2030 times)

cheddar-caveman

Poor maths - again!
« on: Mar 12, 2014, 08:23:09 AM »
In the papers today - Chinese maths teachers are to come to England to give masterclasses in the subject as part of a fresh bid to boost standards.  
Doesn't this just say everything about our education system from teachers to students - not fit for purpose. Mind you, I think these Chinese teachers are in for a real shock when they come face to face with the attitude and behaviour of our children in class compared to theirs. Their children seem to want to learn whereas a lot of ours do it under sufferance making it difficult for the few that do want to learn.  
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

Granny49

Re: Poor maths - again!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2014, 09:29:04 AM »
Can you hear me screaming Cheddar caveman.  This isn't "again" it is all to do with the somewhat discredited PISA report. Please read https://fullfact.org/education/uk_rank_international_education_attainment-29837

Of course we need to understand just what they are doing in China but the does not mean we need to copy them exactly.  You need to analyse what outcomes you are hoping for and so far their is no evidence that teaching the Chinese way will give us those.  We are also sending teachers to them to show how we teach pupils to think for themselves; something our employers require.

Hopefully we will also be bringing people over from Silicone Valley where they are using apps backed by highly professional teaching and are having great results for all their pupils not just those from the higher strata of society as the ones tested in China tend to be.
Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.

avalonmpk2

« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2014, 10:10:58 AM »
By the pupils the teacher he/she is taught!
Stone walls do not a prison make nor iron bars a cage.
Richard Lovelace
DO NOT FORGET TO LOG OFF - REMOVE COOKIES

Granny49

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2014, 02:08:04 PM »
By the pupils the teacher he/she is taught!

An interesting thought but I am not quite sure what you mean.  Perhaps you could explain.
Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.

avalonmpk2

« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2014, 02:24:42 PM »
If as a teacher you are unable to communicate with your pupils how on earth can you understand and  cater for their educational needs.
Richard Lovelace

Granny49

« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2014, 02:28:18 PM »
If as a teacher you are unable to communicate with your pupils how on earth can you understand and  cater for their educational needs.

Thank you avalonmpk2.  Could I ask which teachers can't communicate; do you mean the Chinese?  I am sorry but I am a bit lost.

avalonmpk2

« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2014, 02:50:26 PM »
Try Kipling!
Richard Lovelace

Granny49

« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2014, 02:56:08 PM »
Was he one of your teachers?  I am still unable to fathom what point you are trying to make.

avalonmpk2

« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2014, 03:07:59 PM »
Are you deliberately being obtuse?
Richard Lovelace

Granny49

« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2014, 03:19:35 PM »
No, but perhaps a little sarcastic, for which I apologise.  I was taught that if someone doesn't understand the point I was trying to make the fault lay in my communication not their understanding. 

I do not understand what you are trying to say.  You are not saying clearly what you mean.  I don't mind words of one syllable, an idiots guide or whatever you think will make it clear but so far it is not.  Once you have clarified exactly what you mean and how it relates to what we were discussing it will be possible to reply to whatever that is.

stellamaris

« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2014, 03:24:18 PM »
Kipling was a deep thinker and reading his books often take you to on a long journey through your own thoughts.    He had a lot to say on teaching and their are many quotes.  Unfortunately I can't remember them but something like 'No written word, Nor spoken plea' can teach young minds rings a bell.  Also of course the well known inspirational poem If which advises how to get through life with some satisfaction.

I doubt if this will help in understanding Avalon's meaning, but if he thinking along Kipling lines, you cannot be told what it means, you will have to think what it means to you.   Convoluted post, I know, I know, and possibly way off.

I notice that other posts have arrived whilst I was typing this.

Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2014, 04:01:11 PM »
I think it is "again" G49 as every few years something like this comes up and the MP's screw around with the "system" to see if it will get better. They don't communicate with the teachers to find out what they think is the problem (maybe because some of them are the problem?) so it's just an MP taking a shot in the dark.
It is industry that is saying that a lot of our children are not employable (not sure where Labour are going to find them all jobs?) when they leave education, they have little grasp of the English language, can't speak it properly, can hardly write a sentence and can't add 12 and 12 without a calculator. Our education as is is failing them. Some of it has to be the total lack of control in the classroom due to this "human rights" crap where teachers have their hands tied and some of it possibly the quality of some of the teachers. All in all the outcome is, and has been for quite a few years now, that our children are leaving school with very few skills to prepare them for the real world.
mjodeard@gmail.com

stellamaris

« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2014, 04:20:20 PM »
I've just realised I have made an unforgivable (?) mistake in my post, by typing their instead of there.  Typing error, honestly.  :D  There are other errors of course, but I might get away with them.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #13 on: Mar 12, 2014, 04:21:35 PM »
Ah ha! You see, just what I'm saying, not fit for purpose, off with the head! ;D ;D ;D  Blimey, you've got me checking back over my posts just in case! ???
mjodeard@gmail.com

Granny49

« Reply #14 on: Mar 12, 2014, 04:40:57 PM »
I've just realised I have made an unforgivable (?) mistake in my post, by typing their instead of there.  Typing error, honestly.  :D  There are other errors of course, but I might get away with them.

:) I think you may make as many grammar/spelling mistakes as happen stellamaris as long as you are not criticising someone else's.  I get very fidgety about splitting my infinitives (I don't correct them because it then sounds weird in today speak) only to press "send" and see something I had missed completely staring back at me.

Language changes and I wonder just how long their and there will last as separate entities.

Edited because I used "can" where I should have used "may".   That I can't leave as I can hear "We all know that you can (full name only used if I was naughty) but it is whether you may or not that is in question" ringing in my ears.