Author Topic: Volunteer manned services.  (Read 412 times)

firenze

Volunteer manned services.
« on: Mar 17, 2014, 09:45:38 AM »
This practise being introduced widely by County Councils to enable the services to continue was news this morning because of the latest cuts to their budgets.

Maybe if the loss of jobs can possibly be borne by those unfortunate enough to suffer this loss it  may prove in the end...I only said may! It could become a cement to a community.
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

sarahbilly 1

Re: Volunteer manned services.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2014, 11:41:15 AM »
whilst volunteering is to be admired, it could have long term consequences for people seeking work in the future, it may be ideal for people who can afford to to pass the time, but it would probably, over time, be a very attractive proposition to local councils, as we have seen in lots of businesses offering zero hr. contracts. the  osborne and cameron keep pounding on about the something for nothing culture,?   

colin

« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2014, 12:05:29 PM »
It is all very well volunteering but who pays the cost of travel.

Just another way of getting out of paying a living wage.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2014, 02:21:01 PM »
I certainly don't look on volunteering that way colin, well not all any way. I am a volunteer with the ambulance service as a Community First Responder. I am invariably first on scene when someone in the village calls 999 and I do it because I like helping people. Being so far away from the nearest ambulance station we can really make a difference and no, I get nothing for the use of my car for doing this.
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

GrannyMac

« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2014, 02:38:47 PM »

In lots of cases volunteers are paid expenses.  During my work in housing I came into contact with lots of volunteers in Tenants' and Residents' associations.  Most of the time they didn't need transport as their volunteering was done close to home, but they were never out of pocket if they had to travel to training or for meetings.   I'm a volunteer for an older peoples' group, but all our meetings are held during the times when we can use our bus passes.   
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

colin

« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2014, 06:20:05 PM »
You are a benefit to your community Cheddar Caveman.
I could not get my head around all those volunteers for the Olympics whilst others are getting paid.
My thoughts are either all volunteer or all get paid, it is not fair to mix them up.
What about insurance whose pays for it, also does it affect your car insurance premium?