Author Topic: Adverts.  (Read 559 times)

Maywalk

Adverts.
« on: Mar 17, 2014, 08:02:30 PM »
I have had a well known magazine delivered today that my lovely d-i-l paid a years subscription for as part of my Christmas box. There are 67 pages of ruddy adverts in it out of 154.Disapprove    This does NOT include the blasted Healthy Living booklet that is fixed in the middle of the magazine that also has 16 pages. ???  What with that and the poor postie bringing stuff that is thrown straight in the bin it seems SUCH a waste.  >:(  YES I know it helps to keep folks in a job but it makes me wonder what other members think of this.  One good thing I can say for the other magazine that I have which is "THE BEST OF BRITISH" it does not have a load of ruddy adverts in it and its extremely interesting to read.  I cant say that for the one I had this morning.

Granny49

Re: Adverts.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2014, 08:22:45 PM »
That does seem excessive Maywalk.  I think there are some times of the year, when the actual content is thin, that the adverts get out of all proportion.

The ones I really don't understand are the charity adds with all the free gifts they post out.  Can they really be making more money than it costs? 

I hope there was enough in the magazine for you to enjoy after all that. :)
Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2014, 09:36:01 PM »
Hello Maywalk, nice to hear from you again. How's the knitting going?
Talking with our postman it's adverts that keep the PO going so they don't mind delivering them! As for magazines and papers, yes, mostly a waste of money, particularly the Sunday papers!
I think one of the best value for money magazines, if one is interested in their sort of articles is National Geographic. Wonderful photography and just a few adds front and back - usually Canon.
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

Citizen68

« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2014, 10:22:36 PM »
Hi, Maywalk, good to hear from you - Sheila was commenting on your absence, on another thread. Guess you were wading through all those ad's, eh?

Sheila

« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2014, 10:27:07 PM »
and she came back SHOUTING!    :D

john mounsey

« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2014, 11:58:32 AM »
Most periodicals rely on adverts to keep going.

Rita Postlethwaite

« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2014, 10:51:20 AM »
We too question the waste of such resources Maisie, we are both members of a couple of aircraft based museums and they insist on sending a quarterly news letter individually to the both of us! Jeff telephoned them and pointed out what a waste of peoples donated money this is but they say that it is computer generated so they can`t do anything about it! ???
Never look down on anyone, unless it is to offer your hand to help them up.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2014, 03:14:47 PM »
Turn the bloody computer OFF! At least us humans have that amount of control over them, haven't we? ???
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625