Author Topic: My 2000th post!  (Read 3433 times)

Granny49

Re: My 2000th post!
« Reply #30 on: Mar 20, 2014, 11:52:10 AM »
I have recently decided to invest in an iPad or, as is more likely, to ask for one for Christmas.  This is not to replace my laptop but so that I don't have to upgrade my mobile phone :)  My phone is very simple, pay as you go and was given to me by my son before he went to Australia as "an early SOS button" that I could have in the car to call the AA if necessary.  It still serves that purpose and my mothers SOS company have the number but it has been given to very few other people.  It doesn't take photos either.

The iPad will, I understand, allow me to "Facetime" my granddaughter, who is beginning to ask to do this and also read books.  I have held out against ebooks but I realise I have to give way.  I will still have to buy some books, I love them too much not to, but it does seem a good idea to be able to have several available without the weight and ... they are cheaper.

Are you really rebellious xetog?  Did you march and sit-in in your youth.  Now there is a picture to conjure with :)
Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.

firenze

« Reply #31 on: Mar 20, 2014, 12:19:45 PM »
Of course you are not grumpy!!!  :-*  But...like myself 'always right' even when wrong. ;D ;D ;D
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

xetog

« Reply #32 on: Mar 20, 2014, 04:34:23 PM »
No G49, I was too busy learning my trade and earning a living in my youth to go on marches and the like and I can't say that I agreed with many of them anyway. My world was one of grimy overalls and to-tecters (nobody had thought to provide ear defenders and goggles I those days).  I didn't have much time for hush puppies, jeans and corduroy jackets favoured by what I saw as the trendy liberal lefties.  The men I worked with/for were tough individuals who took no prisoners, but that didn't mean I let them get away with supressing my natural desire to usurp authority. 

Although I do sit here now and blush a little at the irritation I must have been to those who undertook my education on "the tools" as a part of their responsibilities.  When you are a member of a team welding or plating, or working at height without any harness, nobody tolerates a jackass, but people still have to learn to respect you.  I have worked with and been taught by some wonderful men who will by now be long gone and hope that I will be remembered as kindly by those whom I have taught.  Like those before me I tolerated genuine attempts to be individuals with their own thoughts, but I was always right of course.

Like you, I do not use a smartphone because, in this world of ubiquitous smart devices, a small, simple, single purpose device suits my needs.  I do use Skype as our daughter lives in the USA and my sister on the Outer Hebrides. I have invested in a large smart TV and a special camera for this purpose, so that we can simply sit on our sofa and chat as if the distance between is were no more than a few feet instead of many miles. I think Facetime is a similar system for iPad users. I still buy books and also frequent our local library, in fact I have been there today, but when travelling a ready source of reading material can be a godsend.

Firenze.  Being naturally argumentative I always try to prove myself right, but happily admit when I am wrong (but don't tell my wife that ;D )

M. 8)
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Granny49

« Reply #33 on: Mar 20, 2014, 05:25:51 PM »
I must admit I don't always think I am right or think I am wrong xetog, I just like to test the opinion I am currently holding.  I am often (although I expect this will surprise some on here) a dreadful fence sitter.

When I was much younger, at home with small children (times changed, within about 5 years of me having my two mum's started going back to work much earlier) I was a member of National Housewives Register - it did change its name in later years to National Women's Register.  It was a network of groups across the country founded after a letter to the Guardian about the mind blunting affect at being at home with small babies in suburbia.  Sometime we prepared a subject, sometimes we had a speaker, etc. - it was a long way from the then WI. :)

We could discuss anything but child care although "education" did seem to creep into our meetings.  I loved them and many of my current friends were people I met through this group.  However, I was found out at one meeting when one of the new members said "but you were arguing the other way when we started".   Everyone laughed and someone explained that I liked to balance the discussion and would tend to put the argument for the currently least popular aspect.  I think some people find a similar outlet in U3A now.

Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.

firenze

« Reply #34 on: Mar 20, 2014, 07:24:36 PM »
Do go for the ipad if you can Granny Mac and Granny49 I have had mine for almost a year and deem it to be the best money I have spent in terms of entertainment value without pain.  So easy quick and comfortable to use, limitations for work aspects are true.  Who cares girls we are retired!   I had the rush of blood to the head when my grandchildren were becoming owners and I realised I was perhaps supplying the money and thought for myself I could not afford such an indulgence. :o
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Granny49

« Reply #35 on: Mar 20, 2014, 09:56:10 PM »
It's on the list Firenze.  We do Skype but I can see my granddaughter having greater access to mummy and daddy's phones and later her own and Facetime is her language so I need to keep up - a least a bit.  With the laptop to work on the limitations shouldn't be a problem.