Author Topic: Watchdog  (Read 1696 times)

Maywalk

Watchdog
« on: Mar 21, 2014, 05:57:53 PM »
Does anyone watch this programme? I find it very informative and just wondered if any members have a dishwasher because it was showing ths morning how one caught fire. I dont have one myself but thought I would put this on here just in case anyone does have one.    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/features/recalls-hotpoint

cheddar-caveman

Re: Watchdog
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2014, 05:59:46 PM »
Um, interesting thought, the dishwasher catching fire! Have to keep an eye on the wife ;D
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

Fred Smiff

« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2014, 06:17:46 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
My Mrs says I've got a mind like a Welsh railway........one track and filthy 😁

sparky

« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2014, 06:27:55 PM »
CC, Are you implying your other half is hot stuff,

Sheila

« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2014, 07:52:58 PM »
Yes, it was frightening Maisie.  We have the dishwasher and washing machine in a utility room off the kitchen and often set a machine and go out or go and watch t.v.  After watching the programme I decided that I would at least put a smoke alarm in the utility room.

There seem to be some good programmes on during the day.  I enjoy 'Homes under the Hammer' and have decided that it is best to record some of these daytime programmes to watch in the evening.  Four in a bed is good too.

MARTIN

« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2014, 08:14:55 PM »
 RetiredJohn, the best you can do is to move to Spain not to the coast though; so many things to gain starting with your money “Point two present” more and everything cheaper here, fantastic roads in superb condition. As my wife who is Dutch says the British Government will tell you anything and the will believe it. If you would like to know more just ask, the quality of life changed for the better when I met my wife at my age of 41 I had been very very English before what a hold back in life.

Phil

« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2014, 08:53:07 PM »
Most dishwasher / washing machine fires occur not when the machine's working but when it's idle &  connected to a live socket  or fused spur because the machine's on-off switch is under constant electrical load.

The safest way is:

1: to never ever run the machine at night on a timer or when the house is unoccupied.
2: to never ever leave the appliance's socket switched on when the appliance is not running.
3: make sure all your sockets  & fused spurs are double pole.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

Sheila

« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2014, 06:46:04 AM »
Phil, I am trying to understand your post.  I don't always bother to turn off the switch at the socket.  I think you are saying this is dangerous.

'fused spurs and double pole' - you've lost me there.

Phil

« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2014, 09:00:57 AM »
Phil, I am trying to understand your post.  I don't always bother to turn off the switch at the socket.  I think you are saying this is dangerous.

'fused spurs and double pole' - you've lost me there.

Leaving the appliance connected to the mains all the time is the most dangerous thing you can do.  Most fires start because the mains is trying to flow through the machine but is stopped by the appliance's switch which can overheat & melt the surrounding plastic which then catches fire.

A fused spur is commonly used in most houses to switch power on & off to an appliance where the socket is at the back of the machine & will usually be located above the worktops.

Double pole - a socket or fused spur that switches off both the live & the neutral wires, completely isolating the appliance. The old single pole sockets only switch off the live wire leaving the neutral still connected which is not nearly as safe..
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Sheila

« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2014, 09:43:45 AM »
Thank you Phil.  I didn't realise that the electricity is trying to get through and will certainly be more careful in future.

My daughter has a dishwasher that is 'built in' so I will be having a word with her about checking for a fused spur.  There always seems to be a light flashing on her machine even when it is not in use.

sparky

« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2014, 09:47:44 AM »
Sheila, While I agree  with Phils advice on switching off socket outlets is worthwhile, although I never do, other than TV/AV equipment, don't start to panic if your sockets or spurs  are single pole, unless wired incorrectly which would be very rare, as the single pole  switch on a socket will isolate the live  conductor which is the one that could rarely cause a problem,  I also would not leave my dishwasher/washing machine on if going out or to bed, although very many people do which is why they are often fitted with timers nowadays.
Todays domestic installations are far and away safer than years ago with MCBs and RCBs. that will trip much faster than fuses of the past if or when a possible fault develops

Rita Postlethwaite

« Reply #11 on: Mar 22, 2014, 09:50:08 AM »
A timely warning Maisie and though both Jeff and I turn everything off when not in use or when we are away it is always worth having a reminder as to what can happen so stay safe everyone.
Never look down on anyone, unless it is to offer your hand to help them up.

MARTIN

« Reply #12 on: Mar 22, 2014, 03:12:30 PM »
 Please accept my apology for my last posting in “Watchdog” witch I should have put under the heading “Re: Budget Impact and Redesigning my pension”

Phil

« Reply #13 on: Mar 22, 2014, 03:56:51 PM »
Sheila, While I agree  with Phils advice on switching off socket outlets is worthwhile, although I never do, other than TV/AV equipment, don't start to panic if your sockets or spurs  are single pole, unless wired incorrectly which would be very rare, as the single pole  switch on a socket will isolate the live  conductor which is the one that could rarely cause a problem,  I also would not leave my dishwasher/washing machine on if going out or to bed, although very many people do which is why they are often fitted with timers nowadays.
Todays domestic installations are far and away safer than years ago with MCBs and RCBs. that will trip much faster than fuses of the past if or when a possible fault develops

I work with an ex-firefighter turned electrician who assures me that domestic appliance related electrical fires are anything but rare & in fact account for a large number of such fires.

Whilst the chances of having any domestic fire are quite small, like the original Lottery advert said, "it could be you".

sparky

« Reply #14 on: Mar 22, 2014, 08:48:17 PM »
Phil, I have no doubt your friend is right. which is why I said that your advice to turn off at the socket is worthwhile, but the idea that socket outlets and spurs need to be double pole is well over the top, and it was for that reason I said that as long as  the appliance was switched off with a single pole means of isolation,  the chance of a fire developing in the appliance is well nigh impossible, unless by some remote chance some dummy had reversed the polarity of the socket, any electrician worth his salt would always  check socket polarity after completing an installation.