Author Topic: Is it right some must sell their homes to pay care home costs?  (Read 6989 times)

Phil

Re: Is it right some must sell their homes to pay care home costs?
« Reply #60 on: Mar 31, 2014, 10:42:13 PM »
if it was taken at source everyone would pay.  has to be a step in the right direction for fairness, admin. would have to be rigorous,

Of course everybody wouldn't pay, if the Government takes the levy from JSA, ESA or Pension Credits then they're merely recycling existing public money.

It's like you giving your kids spending money which they then use to buy you a birthday present when in reality you've  just bought your own present since it was your money to start with.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

Citizen68

« Reply #61 on: Mar 31, 2014, 10:48:45 PM »
Granny49, with respect, there is not a lot in the NHS these days that you can access and not have to make a contribution, in addition to the deductions taken from your pay.

The idea of putting something into a special pot towards the possible cost of care in your old age, seems a reasonable one for consideration, when it is becoming quite an issue nowadays. What would you suggest, if you have another idea?

sarahbilly 1

« Reply #62 on: Mar 31, 2014, 11:40:49 PM »
granny 49, totally agree with the reasons for  setting up the nhs, unfortunately the race to privatisation is eroding the n.h.s. as we knew it. my proposal [levy for care in old age] is born out of the desire to keep the nhs in the hands of the people.   of course my levy could just go on to ni. contributions, but  1. govs. would just do what i think they do now and throw it all in the one pot. 2. if all contributed a small levy to care in old age, then i believe it would be seen as a fairer system and prevent people having to use their homes for healthcare. i have since seen the proposal put forward by lord warner and am sceptical on first site.  the the increasing use by politicians of the phrase   "free at the point of use" worries me, could that mean in the future the free part will only be at reception upon admission, or the ambulance journey.  the idea i put forward for discussion, was for care in old age only, as comments have shown, the present arrangement is causing great division.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Granny49

« Reply #63 on: Mar 31, 2014, 11:48:58 PM »
Ugh Citizen68 I just hate the idea of yet another layer of bureaucracy.  I really do believe we should have seamless care rolling mental, care and health into one and going back to using National Insurance to pay for it - it would certainly make it clear what it all costs and tax would go down relatively as that's where it is coming from currently.

I have just seen SB's post and I must admit I thought you were talking about Lord Warner's proposal which I was not keen on - neither are his own party if the journalists are to be believed.  I do think we should separate the NI so we can see what is being spent and then, possibly, have some say in what it is spent on.
Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.