Author Topic: Rant alert!  (Read 2971 times)

Silver Tiger

Rant alert!
« on: Mar 28, 2014, 01:42:50 PM »
 >:(  Racing around town like a mad thing, short on time and tolerance, went into WHSmith's.  Needed to be on the first floor, access was via a narrow steep staircase.  Half way up I encounter a young mum with a toddler.  She was allowing the boy to climb up the stairs - and stop on every one for approbation of his achievement!  Staircase too narrow to pass them, also could not go back down as there was quite a queue behind me.  While I appreciate that children have to learn to deal with stairs surely this should be done at home, or grandmas, or a friends house  - a busy shop in the rush hour is not an appropriate schoolroom !!

On the bus coming home - young mum with a baby buggy the size of a small tank.  The buggy took up the whole of the buggy zone thus rendering the three pull down seats useless. Young mum sits on the next double seat with her offspring beside her.  That is five seats taken up by two people.  Although there were a lot of people standing she made no attempt to take the child on her knee and free up a seat.  Why take the child out of the buggy in the first place?

Grrr rr rr !!

Fred Smiff

Re: Rant alert!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2014, 01:56:50 PM »
Know what you mean Silver Tiger , sadly there's a generation of young parents around now , many ( but NOT all ) of whom have no idea of showing consideration towards others themselves . Therefore their children will be bought up the same .

SELF SELF SELF   >:(
My Mrs says I've got a mind like a Welsh railway........one track and filthy 😁

Jackie

« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2014, 04:32:27 PM »
We seem to be a nation of wanting to say to them what we are thinking, but hold back while waiting on someone else to speak first, then with luck one by one others join in on backing that person up, but not always the case. Many will just stay silent by keeping their noses out of it. For me I can tolerate a lot but it will depend on what mood/frame of mind I am in on that day, as to whether I open my mouth by telling them how inconsiderate and selfish their behaviour is to others. I guess we have ourselves to blame, if we dont say anything to them, they will just keep right on doing it without realising they are getting someones back up..

Silver Tiger

« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2014, 05:08:43 PM »
Point taken, Jackie, but the problem is - would we dare say anthing anyway?  Some these young tattooed and pierced mums look scary,  as though they could fell you with one blow! ;D

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2014, 05:24:17 PM »
I'm surprised that the only way up to the second floor of a hight street shop is via a narrow staircase! Sounds more like a fire escape to me? No lifts or proper stairs? Elf and Safety!
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

Phil

« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2014, 09:22:58 PM »
Point taken, Jackie, but the problem is - would we dare say anthing anyway?  Some these young tattooed and pierced mums look scary,  as though they could fell you with one blow! ;D

I saw a woman who was covered in tattoos & I asked my wife if she´d get some done,

When she asked me why, I said that if ever I couldn´t sleep I could read her. Lol !!
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

Citizen68

« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2014, 12:52:19 AM »
Silver tiger, guess we've all seen examples of this sometime. Space on the buses in our area is up for grabs by either wheelchairs or baby buggies. Sometimes this works, sometimes not, depending on how many people want the space at the same time!

Also, last time I got on the bus they had introduced a perpendicular bar across this space, floor to ceiling. This had the result that someone with a wheelchair who got on, couldn't use the space properly because his chair didn't tuck in behind the bar. A woman with a rather large buggy who was already on the bus, tried to move it out of the special space and sit nearby, thus blocking the gangway; and the man in the wheelchair was getting hysterical in case she rammed into his feet as she tried to manoeuvre her pram. Part of the trouble is that either buggies don't fold down like they used to, or mums just won't be bothered with it.

All in all, one bus full of people all rather embarrassed while this scenario unfolded.

granny bee

« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2014, 07:02:00 AM »
Its not just young mums - there can be some pretty inconsiderate usage of mobile scooters driven by elderly users as well! ::)

Bills Double

« Reply #8 on: Mar 29, 2014, 07:03:08 AM »
 >:( >:( >:( >:(

Only yesterday I was in a major department store in Southampton, when my OH & I had to wait for about 7 minutes for one of FOUR lifts to come up to the top floor to take us down to the car parks, there was a sign by the entrance to the lifts which said "PLEASE GIVE PREFERENCE TO WHEELCHAIRS & PUSHCHAIRS" [& not only in this store, I've seen it elsewhere as well] & I thought WHY, point one - I've been waiting 7 minutes & point 2 - what gives them the RIGHT to jump the queue when other people have been waiting. It's the same with "FAMILY PARKING spaces as well, I seen usually young mothers park in these spaces get out with NO children with them. When our children had young children & we were using a pram - we never had the luxury of larger parking space did we?  >:( >:( >:( >:(
"Happiness is a voyage, not a destination & growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional".

FLICKR ACCOUNT: www.flickr.com/photos/bills_doubl

john mounsey

« Reply #9 on: Mar 29, 2014, 12:56:40 PM »
Many years ago pushchairs and buggies had to be foldeed and placed in the luggage rack. Way back then thogh they were all of a reasonable size. :D

Rita Postlethwaite

« Reply #10 on: Mar 29, 2014, 01:26:15 PM »
You have hit the nail on the head John, they are ALL so big!!!  ::)
Never look down on anyone, unless it is to offer your hand to help them up.

Ladybird

« Reply #11 on: Apr 05, 2014, 04:04:59 AM »
Its not just young mums - there can be some pretty inconsiderate usage of mobile scooters driven by elderly users as well! ::)

But they're not using stairs or lifts on them I imagine, however the point is clear but, some of these mobile scooter users have perhaps never driven cars, so have no understanding of road rules, and this should be addressed by the government and is a very valid, but different, argument.

The staircase that Silver has described sounds like it's in a pretty old sort of shop where human traffic once flowed nicely and with thought for others and, from her description, it was just one mother with one child who was being over-indulgent with her child's "accomplishments" instead of gently urging the child for respect for other users of the stairway, instead of causing a back-up of traffic and yes, this achievement should be shown with the stairs at home, but instilled some consideration in the child whilst out shopping.

As for buses, I've no clue, as I haven't used one in over 40 years, but what has been described sounds like an horrendous way to travel.  I don't see why lifts etc should "give way" to buggies and wheelchairs though.  The people occupying them are hopefully sitting in comfort, whereas perhaps much older people who can't stand for any length of time would find it most uncomfortable waiting for 7 - 10 minutes.  There was a time when a lift was totally out of the question for me and I'd climb up to 10 flights of stairs when I was able rather than wait for a lift as I'm claustrophobic but sadly, I can no longer do that, so I take the lift at my surgery up to the first floor, and I hate it, but I've had to overcome that fear.  However, that is of no consequence and was just an aside to the content of the thread.

I would indeed give preference to a wheelchair user over a buggy user.  A person in a wheelchair may have been born to it or, through unfortunate circumstances it became necessary due to illness later in life.  However, if a person chooses to have a child, that is by choice so in my eyes their rights diminish.  Sorry if that sounds harsh, but those are my thoughts.   :)
At One With All Creatures of the Earth

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #12 on: Apr 05, 2014, 07:45:26 AM »
I would indeed give preference to a wheelchair user over a buggy user.  A person in a wheelchair may have been born to it or, through unfortunate circumstances it became necessary due to illness later in life.  However, if a person chooses to have a child, that is by choice so in my eyes their rights diminish.  Sorry if that sounds harsh, but those are my thoughts.   :)

In this country their rights increase don't they, child allowance, now increased child minder allowance, special parking spaces etc. Everybody but the parents seem to be expected to look after the children!  ;)
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

xetog

« Reply #13 on: Apr 05, 2014, 09:38:22 AM »
Collecting my paper at the local supermarket last Saturday, I was walking along a broad paved area in front of the shop when I saw two elderly ladies , side by side, on electric scooters coming to wards me a considerable speed.  Everyone was hurriedly moving out of their way.  A few feet in front of me a young mum with a child in a buggy and another of about 3-4 on foot quickly moved to one side leaving the separate child directly in front of the oncoming grannies.  She quickly realised and reversed course to scoop him up just in time to get out of the path of the grannies thundering towards them.  For  few seconds I had visions of standing still to force them aside or to stop.  However I rapidly realised that they were not even looking in my direction as they were gassing away absolutely oblivious to the chaos they were leaving in their wake and I was I dead duck if I failed to move.  As they went past at full speed I shouted at them, but they simply ignored me and roared off down the road.  Perhaps one should be licensed and insured to use these things.

M. 8)
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Silver Tiger

« Reply #14 on: Apr 05, 2014, 09:55:38 AM »
ooooh - don't get me started on mobility buggies !

While I appreciate they must be a boon to those who need them - I do firmly believe that training should be given, they should be licenced, and they should be fitted with warning bells like the ones on bicycles.     My worst experience of them is at Craft Fairs where space is limited and there are ususually crowds of people.  Buggie owners seem to think they have a God given right to barge through to the front of every queue and park there forever !  Not only do they block the view of other crafters but they also lose customers for the stall holders as disgruntled people go elsewhere.  The daftest thing I have ever seen was at Doncaster last year - a woman in mobility buggie pushing a baby buggy !  Surely she could not be said to be in control of either!!