Author Topic: Utility companies  (Read 336 times)

Granny49

Utility companies
« on: Mar 30, 2014, 09:30:38 AM »
I keep wondering why, when profit is guaranteed to gas and electricity companies, they weren't limited to a profit of say 2% with anything else being ploughed back into development.  Why didn't they do this when they sold it all off I wonder.

Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.

xetog

Re: Utility companies
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2014, 10:10:41 AM »
Governments and their departments are useless negotiators (just take the deal with doctors as an example) and never think ahead of the awarding of the contract.  All sorts of private companies employ experts to negotiate terms with other companies, my daughter is one of their number, but politicians and civil servants can never see past the "pay day" when a few £ million is handed into the nations coffers that consumers will recompense by providing £ billions.  I have negotiated many deals, but often been overridden by bosses who think they know better.  I once negotiated a 3p an hour deal with some electricians which the bosses rejected and ended up giving an extra 30p/hour!

M. 8)
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

john mounsey

« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2014, 11:04:15 AM »
The utility companies (all of them) have been ripping us off for years. Unfortunatly  they seem to ignore their customers,  >:(and any attempt by the government to regulate them would simply lead to further price rises.

Granny49

« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2014, 05:19:26 PM »
I think you are right xetog and we have seen this inability to negotiate in many areas when I stop the think about it - MOD, NHS, etc.,

I know there is a special breed of negotiator working for many of the quangos and so called none governmental bodies, there just to tick all the right boxes when applying for grants from the government. :-[

Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.