Author Topic: Hobby required for newly retired  (Read 4348 times)

OldboyRoy

Hobby required for newly retired
« on: Apr 30, 2014, 05:00:15 PM »
Hi, I need to have a hobby I can focus on and enjoy, so thinking of buying a good keyboard in the past I have just been a right handed player but would love to be able to get the left hand working right on the chords, years back I was in a town band playing trumpet/bugle etc but that was in my teens, unfortunately never kept it up, so thought this is now the time to really get down to it, anyone else taken up any musical instruments .

Johned

Re: Hobby required for newly retired
« Reply #1 on: Apr 30, 2014, 05:21:55 PM »
On occasion when my arthritic hands allow me, I still have a go at the keyboard.  I try to play it like a piano with both hands however as I can't take in my mind the special chords for the left hand described intricately in the instruction book.  I have a pile of sheet music dating back to my early years and reserve my "playing" in the living room whilst the rest of the gang are watching TV in the sitting room which, in general, I can't abide.  The TV I hasten to add not the "gang!"  I am now used to the occasional taunt of "Semprini is at it again!"  In conclusion, if I am ever fortunate enough to win the lottery, the selfish purchase for myself will be a baby grand piano!   

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #2 on: Apr 30, 2014, 07:30:00 PM »
I'm a very start stop guitar player. I hear a beautiful piece of fingering and go mad at it for a few weeks and then stop as I don't seem to progress! :-\
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

GrannyMac

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 07:13:30 AM »
Our smallest bedroom is like a music studio.   My husband spends quite a bit of time practising, recording and playing, and he gets a lot out of it.  He regrets not learning the keyboard when he was young, now he has all the time in the world! 

What ever you decide to do OldBoyRoy, the secret is to find things to do that you enjoy. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Rita Postlethwaite

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 09:15:14 PM »
Feisty Fox has a couple of guitars and took some lessons before he retired. It is a very hit and miss affair as he will play for a few days on the trot and then go ages without picking either one up! He always practises the month before Christmas so that he is able to play me a selection of carols on Christmas morning. Do give it a go OldboyRoy, far better to do something you enjoy than to sit around bored or miserable. By the way, welcome to the forum.  :)
Never look down on anyone, unless it is to offer your hand to help them up.

Citizen68

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 09:31:16 PM »
Oldboyroy, if I didn't welcome you before, welcome now - but thought I had done it earlier.

Rita, what a lovely idea for FF to play you carols on Christmas morning. Oooooooh! ;)

Rita Postlethwaite

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 09:36:01 PM »
He`s such an old romantic Citizen.  :D
Never look down on anyone, unless it is to offer your hand to help them up.

Jocko

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 12:57:12 PM »
I have purchased material for playing guitar and reading music associated with it, a course on playing blues guitar, and even guitar lessons, but I have found that the time I intended dedicating to guitar practise, after retiring, keeps getting swallowed up by other things.  I know it has been said MANY times before, but I don't know where I found the time to work.

Phil

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 10:45:22 PM »
I have purchased material for playing guitar and reading music associated with it, a course on playing blues guitar, and even guitar lessons, but I have found that the time I intended dedicating to guitar practise, after retiring, keeps getting swallowed up by other things.  I know it has been said MANY times before, but I don't know where I found the time to work.

"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

avalonmpk2

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 10:42:05 AM »
Living itself is the best hobby, eat well exercise well, keep the mind active! And keep ed ballsup out of the treasury! The latter , at the present time is almost a full time occupation for me, apart from the garden that is! ::) It has ceased raining going back out on the garden!
Stone walls do not a prison make nor iron bars a cage.
Richard Lovelace
DO NOT FORGET TO LOG OFF - REMOVE COOKIES

Jocko

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 12:25:48 PM »
I am addicted to Minecraft on the Xbox 360.  And I mean ADDICTED.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 01:59:21 PM »
I guess it's better than drugs, alcohol, cigarettes etc ;)  or maybe you indulge in those while playing ;D
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

rogermurphy

« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2015, 05:11:00 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to give my 2 pennies.

I've been playing the piano for a couple of years, and I have a lesson every two weeks. If you find a teacher who is very patient and willing to take things at your speed and let you work at your own pace, it can really make things a lot more enjoyable. Start off with simple things to play as well - I had the same trouble getting both hands together!

Do let me know your progress so far!

ronyork

« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2015, 05:33:03 PM »
Offer your services to the national trust, Iwas a guide at  the treasurers House in York until we moved to Huntingdon and I miss it greatly, unfortunatly my wife suffers now from Alzimers and I cannot leave her by herself for to long.

Scooter

« Reply #14 on: Mar 16, 2015, 09:52:38 AM »
Re music lessons - I´ve always wanted to play keyboard, but formal lessons were so slow, and I just lost interest. In today´s on-line world, there are loads of ¨teach yourself¨ lessons out there which just use set chord progressions in the left hand, and ¨top line¨ simple melody-lines for the right. With a digital key-board, these can be learned and played, along with the built-in rhythms to quickly gain enough skill in playing acceptable music. I used to play squeeze-box for a morris side, and learning is definitely quicker when playing along with other musicians, so if you can team up with someone else it will make learning easier and avoid the plague of boredom with your own lack of skill! It took me five years of practise on the ´box to be able to play solo in public, so patience is essential, as is playing something, even for only five minutes, every day.
Happiness is a boiled potato.