Author Topic: When to Pick  (Read 1541 times)

Shelton

When to Pick
« on: May 06, 2014, 11:37:10 AM »
As a novice gardener my biggest problem is knowing when to pick stuff out the ground. Radish is easy, as you can see it, but what about Beetroot, Parsnip, Carrot et al, does a little sign pop up saying 'pick me now' ? This is my second year of Greenhouse ownership and it is bursting with stuff ready to plant out, do I just go for it, or again, is there a sign ?
not phil

Citizen68

Re: When to Pick
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 11:49:56 AM »
Shelton, welcome. There are a few gardening experts on here, I'm sure they'll be in touch soon (but bear in mind that they may be busy at the moment with their own gardens, and not on the computer, so be a little patient if necessary!)

Sheila

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 12:04:15 PM »
When we first got our allotment I remember asking a more experienced gardener how to know when the sweetcorn is ready.  'When the squirrels start eating it' was the reply!

With regards to planting out, there is still a slight danger of frost. I am putting the plants out during the day and bringing them in at night.  I will probably plant everything out soon but watch the weather forecast closely and cover the more delicate plants with fleece overnight if necessary.

A very experienced gardener put his dahlias out this morning and thinks they will be fine.

We are in the north west by the way.  I expect it will be a bit warmer if you are down south.

Rita Postlethwaite

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 09:21:09 PM »
Hi Shelton, the best advice I can give you, and give to all would be gardeners, is to go to your local garden center and look for books by Dr D. G. Hessayon  called "Expert" there are ones on every subject gardening matters I could name and the one you seem to need is Vegetable and Herb Expert. These books are reasonably priced and simple to understand and follow, they cover every thing from planting, growing and the finished product. I personally have The Rose Expert, The Vegetable and Herb Expert and The Tree And Shrub Expert and would recommend them to anyone. Good luck.  :)
Never look down on anyone, unless it is to offer your hand to help them up.

avalonmpk2

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 10:43:13 PM »
Best advice: ask a mature neighbour who gardens in your area, or visit a local nursery to what, how, when, and were to grow.
Good tips: plant potatoes in green house on Boxing day for harvesting in May (South West) and then add seven days as you go north county by county.
Other potatoes: plant on Paddy's Day and harvest on King Billy's day. Most seeds can be sown while daffodils are in bloom in your area and transplant when the lilac blooms turn brown.
Stone walls do not a prison make nor iron bars a cage.
Richard Lovelace
DO NOT FORGET TO LOG OFF - REMOVE COOKIES

firenze

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 10:51:49 PM »
Love the planting maxims Avalon they have got to be Irish? :D
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

avalonmpk2

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 10:57:55 PM »
A white lie: They were given to me by Victor!! :-* :-* :-* ::)
Richard Lovelace

Shelton

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 06:40:54 PM »
East Midlands by the way
Everything blooming well in greenhouse, has been nice here so Runners are already out, as are Marrow, Cabbage and Beetroot. Leeks also, bit of an experiment. Radish been in, and now out, and eaten. Lettuce and toms doing fine in greenhouse, along with Chilli's, more radish, Spring Onion and Courgette. Spuds went in last week, a bit late. Beetroot been in the ground about 4 weeks, flourishing nicely in the warm sun and not quite as warm rain.
So, not a total novice, but still not sure when to pull stuff out the ground. ah well, more reading
not phil

firenze

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 07:15:22 PM »
Hello Shelton most impressed with your crops Avalon is your man he is the gardener par excellence of The PF to date.
  He would have your answers for picking but pretends otherwise ;D

Mark Twain.

avalonmpk2

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 10:57:46 PM »
Almost a year since anyone posted under this heading - have most of you given up on your gardens? I do hope not as it is one of the most enjoyable and rewarding of pastimes and helps one to live a lot longer and healthier - fresh air gentle exercise and great tasting crops.

Had a lot of heavy rain here today - great replenished the water buts, watered thoroughly all crops and the compost heaps and bins.
Weather better outlook for tomorrow will get the incinerator going and get burning all the prunings and other detritus.
Richard Lovelace

firenze

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 02:05:18 PM »
Not given up Avalon but my fig tree seems slow, I would love to grow produce but fear that boat sailed when i downsized to a rear patio area. Front and side garden has to beautify the area. Perhaps a pot grown turnip would give little pleasure.

Mark Twain.

avalonmpk2

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 02:09:00 PM »
Try "a spud in a bucket" or a carrot in a can! :P
Richard Lovelace