Author Topic: Old Tom  (Read 1463 times)

Silver Tiger

Old Tom
« on: May 11, 2014, 06:43:04 PM »
OLD TOM

They pushed his wheel chair near to the window, placed what passed for a cup of tea on the table beside him, and went to deal with next person. 
“Did you watch … No, but I heard about … really, who’d have thought …” 
There was something soothing about their inane chatter.  The window was open.  New mown grass, daisies, and wood smoke scented the breeze that danced across his memory.

August, it was, a late hay making, on just such a day as this.  All scythes and pitchforks then, no fancy machinery making noise and smells.  There she was.  Walking across the fields, picnic basket over her arm, jug of cider in her hand, hair the colour of ripe corn.  All the men stopped work - and not just for the lunch, neither, but to watch her walk.  Like dancing it was.  Well, they could look, but her smiles were all for him.

Rumble of wheels, footsteps.  Another one washed, dressed, and left to sit by the window.  Jolt, two pairs of hands pull him upright in the chair, and shake him roughly.   
“Gotta keep wakin’ ‘em up or they don’t sleep at night.  Like kids they are.  Did I tell you about …”   
hands pat his shoulder, voices drift away.

Her hands now, they were different.  Rough, from working hard in the fields, but gentle.  Always gentle.  With him, with the children, with the grandchildren.  She was always gentle.  She loved to lie in their soft bed, talking over their day, making plans, always stroking his hair and playing with his fingers to soothe him into sleep.  No-one touches him now, well, none that matter.  Duty contact only.  Toilet, wash, dress, chair.  Not uncaring exactly, but impersonal.

Swallows are dancing in the sky, way marking, soon be gone now.  He remembers how she loved to watch them wheeling and diving about house.  Saying their goodbyes, she fancied.  Well, she always was a dreamer.  She was took ill in the Spring, when the Swallows were just arriving, and she died as they left, in Autumn.  He wishes they would go now and leave him be.  His memories have become painful.

His brain cries ‘Help me’, but his voice won’t work,  Hands shaking, can’t reach the bell.  Pain beyond pain,  then a soft, familiar touch smoothes his hair.  “Come to me, my lovely, I’ll take of you now”.  Gentle fingers take his hand and, suddenly, they are young again.  Tom and Kate, walking through the hayfield, laughing in the sunlight.

They pushed his wheelchair away from the window into a side room.
“Best leave him in here just now.  Doctor’ll be along soon - there’s no hurry.”

© Silver Tiger

Granny49

Re: Old Tom
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 10:25:55 PM »
OK Silver Tiger.  I read your story and, of course, it had me in tears.  It has taken me a while to click back on and say thank you, it was a lovely (if sad) story.
Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.

Citizen68

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 10:57:51 PM »
Silver Tiger, very evocative. Well done.

Silver Tiger

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 03:13:15 PM »
OK Silver Tiger.  I read your story and, of course, it had me in tears.  It has taken me a while to click back on and say thank you, it was a lovely (if sad) story.

Oh dear, Granny49, I am so sorry for making you cry!

Silver Tiger

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 03:13:36 PM »
Silver Tiger, very evocative. Well done.

Thank you!

Rita Postlethwaite

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 06:36:09 PM »
A wonderful piece Tiger and one I can well relate to.  :-*
Never look down on anyone, unless it is to offer your hand to help them up.

Silver Tiger

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 07:57:25 PM »
Thank you.