Author Topic: Golf  (Read 13852 times)

Hugh

Re: Golf
« Reply #60 on: Jan 15, 2018, 05:04:12 PM »
The new maximum handicap for every one now in place, a change from 28 to 54. Now gives beginners and oldies like my self to be able compete with the best

Hugh

« Reply #61 on: Feb 13, 2018, 10:06:08 AM »
The new handicap system now in place with a maximum of 54. which is 3 extra shots per hole. I have been given 36 which I feel is right for me at the moment, although I would like to get lower, but due to my age and starting so late in life 28 should be a realistic target. At least I know if i play to my handicap I have a chance of winning and not be wasting a competition entrance fee. Most good players can hit the ball over 200 yards and pro's over 300 yards. My body not so supple send the ball 150 yards on a good drive.
What I really enjoy about the sport I get out and about enjoying the company of other like minded people in the quiet country side, which doubles up as nature reserve.

Hugh

« Reply #62 on: Aug 29, 2018, 02:06:52 PM »
The two pics above are both very tricky holes. The one on the left is 160 yard par 3 with dangers both sides and a difficult bunker guards the front. The ground slopes towards it if to are short of the green. If you go beyond the green there is an Hedge to tend to.

The one on the right quite often as a cross wind which sends your ball into out of bounds farmers field. The farmer as a good crop of golf balls.

Hugh

« Reply #63 on: Sep 27, 2018, 12:17:41 PM »
This is one weekend where Formula one will have to take second place. Good job I have record button. Ryder cup always exciting for those interested golf. USA not won in Europe 25 years. They beat us in the USA 2 years ago, but the crowd there do every thing possible to put our players off their game. They are always screaming USA USA USA USA I had to watch with the sound off. They will quite often make a noise when a players taking his swing. The yanks are not very sporting. It takes place in France this years and not one French player in the team, we have five. Tommy Fleetwood a young player I hope does well. You can easily spot him because he as the longest hair style in the team.

Hugh

« Reply #64 on: Oct 02, 2018, 04:54:30 PM »
Watching the Ryder cup I often wondered what would happen if some one got injured while watching. One young lady is now suing Ricky Fowler, whose ball blinded her in one eye. The little white ball very much like a missile and its traveling at quite a speed. The rules are you shout FOUR if you hit a way would ball. Surprisingly rather than looking down and protecting their heads every one looks up to see if they can spot the ball, which I expect what this lady as done. I expect Ricky like most who play this game have golf insurance but would it cover where people are lining the fare-ways in a dangerous position ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???   

Michael Rolls

« Reply #65 on: Oct 02, 2018, 06:33:37 PM »
I thought most high level sporting events warned spectators that they did so at their own risk? Very sorry for the young lady, but it is a risk that has to be taken into account. I remember a school mate who in 1950 went to a cricket match at Mosley. Back then it was a tradition for touring sides to play a pipe opener on the Moseley ground against a side of reasonable quality, called, IIRC the Duchess of Norfolk's XI or something like that that. The ground was close to the river and it was a challenge for batsmen to try and hit the ball into the the river (Keith Miller did it, I believe, when the 1948 Australians were over) . One of the WI batsman ( I think it was Everton Weekes, but it was a long, long time ago) went for it and launched an almighty six out of the ground. Birtles (we called each other by surnames, no idea what his Christian name was) turned, along with everyone else, to see if the ball made it It didn't. Instead, it struck a tree on the bank and rebounded, hitting Birtles in the face. He came to school on the Monday, proudly bearing a swollen face and closed up eye on the left side of his face, already shades of yellow. mauve and blue. Scar of war!
Watching any sport can be risky.

Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Hugh

« Reply #66 on: Oct 02, 2018, 08:17:11 PM »
Be interesting to see what happens in this case Mike. I have golf insurance to cover any mishaps which can easily happen. The ball hitting a tree can go any direction.

Hugh

« Reply #67 on: Mar 25, 2019, 08:04:16 PM »
Had my first round of golf on Sunday and it rely showed how weak I was after my two weeks on an hospital bed. I got round the 18 holes with some difficulty but come the end of the game was unable to carry my golf clubs to the car park. A club member came to my aid. I have now ruled out playing Tuesday and Friday and try again next Sunday. I hope I am a little fitter by then

crabbyob

« Reply #68 on: Mar 26, 2019, 03:12:37 AM »
we have to take things easy Hugh, i hope you are using a trolley and not carrying... why not try a cart for the first few rounds, its worth it to get out,
tell me when your really bad and  will play you.. ;D ;D or perhaps you could come over and play nine holes at ours
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Hugh

« Reply #69 on: Mar 26, 2019, 04:02:23 PM »
I was in a buggy which just shows how weak and unfit I have be come with that 2 weeks in bed. I now always use a buggy for 18 holes.
Whats the name of your club crabbyob?

crabbyob

« Reply #70 on: Mar 26, 2019, 06:26:07 PM »
Owston near Askern its just a nine holer, but it is excellent
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Hugh

« Reply #71 on: Mar 26, 2019, 08:43:59 PM »
Just been locating it 42 miles from my home. Will have to wait until I fit again before I can play. What is the price of 9 holes and what days do you normally play?

crabbyob

« Reply #72 on: Mar 27, 2019, 08:19:09 AM »
i cant remember the cost...lol... and i play when either of my mates are available... i am very flexible unless a hospital appointment comes up... we could do a home and away..

Hugh

« Reply #73 on: Mar 27, 2019, 08:33:32 AM »
With the distance involved it may be worth finding a course half way. 84 mile round trip for a 9 hole game not on rely.   

crabbyob

« Reply #74 on: Mar 27, 2019, 10:30:28 AM »
i used to do that round trip to the Trent in the winter an dry net...lol...but you choose,but give me a couple of weeks to get home, then if you have a spare five minutes i will teach you everything i know about golf.. ;D