Author Topic: ‘Racist’ Padiham chip shop banner taken down after threats.  (Read 6766 times)

Shelton

Re: ‘Racist’ Padiham chip shop banner taken down after threats.
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2014, 10:44:48 PM »

As I said to Cheddar Caveman, there is a difference between a shop advertising it sells Polish food and one saying it is run by Polish owners, .
Okay, not fierce, sorry. But I do think with the above you are being a little naïve. It is really one and the same thing. It is highly unlikely that a shop selling Polish food is run by anything other than Polish folk (or whatever the nationality is)?, and yes, there will be exceptions to that rule, but not many.
not phil

Aduk

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2014, 10:50:01 PM »
Naive? Lol

Shelton

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2014, 11:03:21 PM »
Naive? Lol
Yes, why not ? I did say 'With that comment'.
not phil

Gael

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2014, 07:04:34 AM »
I think sadly, it is probably for the best that the business took the banner down if there are threats to burn it.

I can't see anything racist about a banner saying the owners and food are English.

Although I don't see why it's important to know such information.

Probably important if you want to make sure everyone knows your business hasn't any foreign influence about it. That would appeal to a certain segment of the society and he was hoping it would help his business. It backfired didn't it.

Taxedtothehilt

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2014, 08:15:35 AM »
Do we know who was making the threats to this shop owner,was it a extreme left wing group ?
Don't worry about people who don't like you, just care about the ones that love you.

Granny49

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2014, 08:44:37 AM »
As you say TTTH, we don't know.
Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.

xetog

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2014, 09:24:26 AM »
I think it is a legitimate advertising ploy.  To many English, the preparation of the true English favourite dish can only be achieved by an Englishman or woman, as they can best appreciate the genuine depth of culture and expertise in this most national of national dishes.  It's probably not true, but if that perception exists in the psyche of some, then why should it be considered racist?  If there were a Polish shop which advertised it was run by Poles (which they invariably are) would we be offended and see it as racist?  I doubt it and the same goes for Bangladeshi et al.  I note that in the past many French restaurants have advertised that their chef is French without any problems. 

I wonder who it is that see that advertising that you are an Englishman in England is such a heinous crime that it is worth burning down the premises?  Probably some fellow liberal minded Englishman keen to earn brownie points with his fellow travellers.  I consider that the battle in this country is not really between races, but between the ordinary person and those who would control our every word and deed by outlawing the very essence of Englishness in our society.

M. 8)
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

sparky

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2014, 09:50:39 AM »
 The new people should  have  boxed a bit clever, and just called it an ENGLISH fish and chip shop, the PC brigade could not yhen have done a thing, given that we have Chinese, Indian, Thia, restaurants

Johned

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2014, 10:30:10 AM »
In our little nondescript town, we have a Thai restaurant according to the signboard outside the premises.  I have not heard of any demos or violent demands to remove the description of the establishment's origins and knowing how laid back we are here should the owners have said "under Thai ownership" no-one could have cared less!

Granny49

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2014, 02:08:37 PM »
As a general thought, it should be fairly easy to understand the differences between a description outside a restaurant of the type of food served and the people owning it, or perhaps not ::)
Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.

Aduk

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2014, 06:16:24 PM »
Do we know who was making the threats to this shop owner,was it a extreme left wing group ?

How did I know you would say that?  ::)

Taxedtothehilt

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2014, 06:45:17 PM »
How did I know you would say that?   

I really don't know how you knew i would say that  ???   perhaps your a closet psychic.
Oh by the way Aduk , how did the beer festival go........ :D
Don't worry about people who don't like you, just care about the ones that love you.

Aduk

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2014, 06:46:18 PM »

I really don't know how you knew i would say that  ???   perhaps your a closet psychic.
Oh by the way Aduk , how did the beer festival go........ :D

Don't know what you're on about :)

Taxedtothehilt

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2014, 06:49:23 PM »
Just had a thought ,perhaps the chip shop owner was selling Aduk and chips ;D ;D ;D ;D

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2014, 08:49:11 PM »
TTTH, you are a hoot! 
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625