Author Topic: Privacy and the www.  (Read 412 times)

xetog

Privacy and the www.
« on: May 19, 2014, 10:44:44 AM »
Has anybody on here noticed one of the most momentous decisions to come out of the EU in recent years?  The new law gives privacy to all those who do not want their past misdemeanour's to be located on the web.  Most of those who do not want their past deeds available for a search on Google can now have the link deleted.  Of course most of those who don't want their records to be found will be rich/dishonest.  So if you need to have some idea with whom you may be dealing in the future, it will be next to impossible to find out if they have been dishonest in the past.  This perverse ruling by the ECJ is now law iin all EU countries.  Yet another reason to get out of THe EU with all dispatch.

M. 8)
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

stellamaris

Re: Privacy and the www.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 11:18:44 AM »
Is this law actually in place yet xetog, or still going through the procedures?   I agree that those with the resources to follow this through and the dishonest will be the ones to benefit most, and maybe at the expense of those who are not so aware of what is out there.   On the face of it  [and I don't really understand it yet] is it a reason to pull out of the EU. 

Maybe it is a good reason.  It is certainly something that each country should be able to sign up to or reject.  A free vote in fact, not foisted on everyone from a shadowy body.  Congratulations xetog, this is the first time I have come close to understanding properly why some really do want out of the EU.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

xetog

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 07:41:35 PM »
The ECJ interprets EU laws given specific cases.  In this case, as I understand it, we are looking at human rights law.  A Spanish man wanted to remove from Google the fact that he had his house repossessed. The ECJ decided recently that he was within his rights, so this ruling automatically applies immediately to all member states.

M. 8)
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Granny49

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 09:36:14 AM »
It is not about removing things from the internet but about removing the links from Search Engines.  Have Google removed the link yet xetog, do you know?  I seem to remember they did not the last time this came up and I do wonder if this court has any jurisdiction over them.

I would bet a pound to a penny that someone will find a way round it that can be used.  Governments and legal systems have yet to realise the lose of power that has happened due to globalisation of trade and the internet. 
Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 03:06:17 PM »
When did you last type your name into a search engine folks? Did it "find" you" If you're on here it will eventually and if you're on Facebook it definitely will!
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625