Author Topic: Public Domain  (Read 737 times)

Hugh

Public Domain
« on: May 22, 2014, 07:59:37 PM »
I was just curious to find out just how much my life was in the public domain so I type my full name on google and clicked search it gave wife and Stepsons name and also gave a rough area of where I live. And quite a lot more details of my life on a computer. Give it a try for your self.

cheddar-caveman

Re: Public Domain
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 08:13:02 PM »
Same as the "You and Facebook" thread Hugh. If you are on, and putting details into any public domain, Face Book, this or any other forum, a lot of them are "searchable" and findable. They are PUBLIC no matter what you think they are so be very careful what you put where!
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

Granny49

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 08:37:39 PM »
It's not just finding out when you know who you are looking for as you have done Hugh.  Everyone gives away interesting things about themselves which allow people to work out who you are and what you do, etc.  All you can do is keep the personal information to a minimum especially on an open forum.

If you would like to see what I know about you from just your recent posts I can put it on here - you would be staggered, I was.
Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.

Hugh

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 10:13:39 PM »
Granny49 no it wouldn't surprise me at all. I am just a normal guy with no dirty secrets and nothing to worry about. I have never even tried to hide my identity there really is no point in it. If some one is really interested in you, they will track you down, no matter how little give out about yourself.   

Granny49

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 10:25:18 PM »
I don't think it is about "dirty secrets" Hugh.  Just as much as you are happy to give out information about yourself, etc., I do feel no pressure should be put on those people who choose not to do so.  Some people are very aware that the internet is for ever. 

When you asked everyone to tell more about themselves I think there should also be a balance of not expecting people to do this if they choose not to without anyone else mocking them.  Some people are just naturally private after all :).
Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.

Hugh

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 08:53:16 AM »
I wouldn't have thought asking forums members to share their pass time interests would do any harm. It would have given us some light hearted stuff to discuss.
I am just hoping spreading the word that age should not be stopping you being more active and trying out new sports. My life in scuba diving started by one young lady. I was making enquiries for my 2 sons about scuba diving and she said what about you? I said at 66 I think I am a little old in the tooth to start that game. She said rubbish you are just a youngster. I did a try dive that day and was hooked. It gave me a different out look on life. Never to old to try some thing new. I do not hide my age which is 75 in October. It may just make some one say if he can do it I can.
As far as the public domain is concerned, your personal details are be sold. and the reason we get so much junk mail.     

Fred Smiff

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 09:08:33 AM »
Problem for me is that I have the same surname as a famous actor  , so he keeps showing up when I google my name , even when i put my full name in  :(
My Mrs says I've got a mind like a Welsh railway........one track and filthy 😁

Granny49

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 09:15:12 AM »
I don't disagree with you Hugh, I think it is great to let people know that we still have a lot of life in us and I am really happy for you to share whatever you want with whoever you want.  All I was asking was that all members feel free to share as much or as little as they want without mocking comments being made :)

Hugh

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 09:25:09 AM »

Granny49 If my post seems as if I was mocking any one, I am very sorry it certainly wasn't my intent.

Granny49

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 09:38:37 AM »
No, no, no, no, no, no.  There were a couple of other posts that made me (personal reaction only) feel I was being mocked and pressurised.  I am sorry, I nearly put (not you) in my post but didn't, sorry.

Hugh

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 10:17:43 AM »
Thank you Granny49 you have put my mind at rest, but if I do upset any one at any time please let me know because at times I do unknowingly put my foot in it.

Citizen68

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 05:37:50 PM »
It's interesting: I Googled my name, and the info. in there is only correct as at 2002, from the then electoral roll.

Some of the info. about my partner is also only correct as at 2002, from the same source. This would now be misleading if anyone took it to be accurate today.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 05:49:11 PM »
Bad news G68, you ceased to exist after 2002. You'll have to contact "Him up there" to be re enabled ;D
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

Citizen68

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 05:59:00 PM »
CC, actually I'm congratulating myself!!