Author Topic: Winter fuel payments to 100,000 expat pensioners to be scrapped saving almost £1  (Read 3374 times)

Gael

Payments    worth up to £300 annually will be halted for 92,983 of Britons living abroad in countries like Spain, France, Greece and Portugal.  

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/457423/Winter-fuel-payments-to-100-000-expat-pensioners-to-be-scrapped-saving-almost-17-million  

xetog

I thought the EU had declared this to be illegal?

M. 8)

If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

ronyork

Wonderful. The title of the payment states what its for. No problem.

GrannyMac

It will save almost £17 million,  I thought it must be more than £1!  :o   What's your opinion on this Gael?

I hope the next move is to make child benefit payments only to families with children living in the UK.  They've already made CB means tested, so higher earners, who already pay a fortune in income tax no longer get it.  I was against that move, as I believe in some universal benefits.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Gael

Seems extreme to me to expect money for fuel when you're living in another country. And obviously not where the climate doesn't warrant it.

We complain about people coming to the UK and getting benefits, so it seems logical to me to not expect to be in another country and get fuel assistance.

xetog

Gael. Although I agree with you on principle you will find that all these folk have paid the same NI as everyone else.  I own a property in Spain (We are there at the moment) and not only are energy costs very high compared with the UK, but Spanish insulation standards are very poor.  We stayed here over one winter.  Never again.  Even though we are in the south eastern tip of the country it can be very cold if the sun doesn't shine.  Some people live further north or up in the mountains where they regularly have snow.  In general I am not sure that WFP is a great idea as a universal benefit, but very few get the £300.  Only single retired get £200, otherwise it is £100 each.

M. 8)

Phil

"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

Gael

Gael. Although I agree with you on principle you will find that all these folk have paid the same NI as everyone else.  I own a property in Spain (We are there at the moment) and not only are energy costs very high compared with the UK, but Spanish insulation standards are very poor.  We stayed here over one winter.  Never again.  Even though we are in the south eastern tip of the country it can be very cold if the sun doesn't shine.  Some people live further north or up in the mountains where they regularly have snow.  In general I am not sure that WFP is a great idea as a universal benefit, but very few get the £300.  Only single retired get £200, otherwise it is £100 each.

M. 8)

Never met anyone who got £300.

GrannyMac

Never met anyone who got £300.

Over 80s single or couple.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Phil

"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

Gael

Over 80s single or couple.

Guess I don't know many octogenarians.

xetog

You should be able to recognise them easily as I believe they have eight hands!

M. 8)

David G

"We complain about people coming to the UK and getting benefits, so it seems logical to me to not expect to be in another country and get fuel assistance"  I agree, if you live abroad and spend your pensions abroad you shouldn't expect the UK taxpayer to pay you Winter Fuel payment. We shouldn't pay benefits to those who come here to live AND those who choose to leave the UK to live elsewhere. 
Opinion. A view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Granny49

Re: Winter fuel payments (rest too long and rejected)
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2014, 09:23:04 AM »
This is such a can of worms and really came about because governments have decided they wanted the benevolence brownie points and put these "benefits" (fuel allowance, etc.) in to make up for a low pension in comparison to many of the EU countries.

My view is that they should just make the pension reasonable and let us get on with our lives but I think that is unlikely to happen :)

Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.

xetog

G49.  I think that is he general idea, but it takes a long time to turn the ship.  The only solution would be to make all benefit systems throughout the EU the same.  I expect that would mean reducing the benefit levels of the UK and Germany, whilst boosting everyone else's.  Unfortunately those who would loose would also have to fund the improvements for others, so it seems a non-starter.  The other option is of course to make the country of your choice labile for paying the same benefit to you as your native nation would have done.  I cannot see that going down too well either.  The only real answer is for the benefits to be paid by the home nation.

M. 8)