Author Topic: I can't believe any of you smart people smoke but..........  (Read 3357 times)

Gael

Re: I can't believe any of you smart people smoke but..........
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2014, 11:42:03 AM »
Blimey ! can you imagine it ? 15 tonnes of cod in a trawler , and every one of them drunk ! ;D ;D ;D

Doesn't bear thinking about. :o  And as it's the Irish Sea, they'd probably be singing and dancing too.

Gael

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2014, 11:45:36 AM »
Gael, I can understand your frustration, seeing someone you care about doing something that's damaging to health. It is an addiction, and unless he really wants to give up (not just to please you or someone else) he's unlikely to succeed. They say it's never futile to give up, but it is down to the person's determination. Trouble is, smoking is something you can't 'do' on your own without affecting others. Smokers often think we are selfish to restrict them, conversely, by outlawing it in public places, for example. Did notice, when in Greece recently, that more people proportionately seem to 'light up'.

I fluctuate between anger, fear and frustration. He simply hasn't got that will power component necessary to deal with any addiction. :(

And very true about smokers resenting non smokers "interferance". But any addiction clouds judgement. In my husband's case, he knows full well what harm he's done to himself and has tried over the years to stop, unsuccessfully.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2014, 05:45:59 PM »
Blimey ! can you imagine it ? 15 tonnes of cod in a trawler , and every one of them drunk ! ;D ;D ;D
You're living the dream of years gone by smiffy! I doubt many trawlers see 15 tons of Cod these days, the bloody Spanish took them all!
It seems most of us who are non smokers did so in our younger years, it seemed the the thing to do socially in the past.
Smiffy...drunken cod? Haddock sober........!!!
1950's - 60's just about everybody smoked, it was the thing to do, and we didn't know the risks. I joined the Navy 1955 and they almost gave you cigarettes and tobacco so I started smoking. I recall the cigarettes - Blueliners, because they had a blue line down one side, made by BAT, cost 2/6p - what's that 25p in today's money a hundred, same price ¼lb. tobacco. If you didn't smoke you used them as trading currency, someone would do a shift for you.
Today there is absolutely no reason to want to smoke knowing what we now know, the harm one is doing to your body!
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

Fred Smiff

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2014, 06:19:44 PM »
CC... I was thinking of a very big trawler........perhaps just a pipedream huh ? ;)
My Mrs says I've got a mind like a Welsh railway........one track and filthy 😁

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2014, 10:27:07 PM »
I don't care how big the trawler is, there just aren't that many fish left in our seas thanks to all the foreigners from the EU being allowed to fish in OUR waters!
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625