Author Topic: US Global Hawk Drones Given Access To British Airspace  (Read 907 times)

Johned

US Global Hawk Drones Given Access To British Airspace
« on: May 29, 2014, 08:10:37 PM »
I feel rather uneasy at reading this in the media today.  We are told this was part of a NATO exercise; naturally our fawning acutely pro US government fell over themselves in lauding this mission but in the future they could be used by our "closest" ally or by our government to spy on the British people for whatever reason.  We know the CIA were monitoring the miners' strike years ago and doubtless have observed other demos in this country but this gadgetry certainly obviates having feet on the ground.  I, for one, do not like it!

cheddar-caveman

Re: US Global Hawk Drones Given Access To British Airspace
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 09:12:57 PM »
Can't say I have a problem with it, ultimately to be part of the NATO umbrella. Flying at 50,000feet well above any commercial flights and it was not armed. With Russia rattling its bars again I think it a good idea to make sure we (the West) can cover all eventualities.
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

ChrisG46

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 07:40:13 AM »
Seems like an odd story - according to the Guardian (6th May) the UK military already owns around 500 UAVs, so why get hot under the collar when US-owned drones overfly the UK on specific, agreed and non-covert flights?

US-owned military assets already fly daily in UK civil and military airspace, so requesting overflight facilities for effectively just another highly capable aircraft doesn't seem like much of a step. US fast jet and other aircraft currently based in the UK have camera systems every bit as refined (and probably more refined) as those fitted to drones.

UK-owned military drones have normal access to UK military airspace, and apparently some limited civil airspace, and it appears likely that they will be able to access more civil airspace as time goes by. Flown by military operators in military airspace at present, movements do not have to be accounted for.

UK police forces have experimented with drones since around 2008, and several forces own them - but it isn't clear how much they actually use them.

If anyone wants to worry about any aspect of drone operation, I'd suggest that the increasing availability of radio controlled camera-equipped drones of various sophistication to members of the general public is a much more concerning subject. You can presently buy a drone able to legally operate up to 500metres away from you, and up to 122 metres high, over the counter at Maplins for a few hundred quid, and much more capable vehicles from online sources at rather higher prices!
Best wishes,
Chris

www.chrisgosling.co.uk

Fred Smiff

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 08:07:49 AM »
Well , I'm not doing anything I wouldn't want the Yanks to know about , so I couldn't care less about their drones , so long as one doesn't come through my back window ! :D
My Mrs says I've got a mind like a Welsh railway........one track and filthy 😁

ChrisG46

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 09:02:46 AM »
More likely to be your next-door neighbour, Fred . .  :o
Best wishes,
Chris

www.chrisgosling.co.uk

Fred Smiff

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 09:17:33 AM »
AH ! you know my neighbours the Chris ? ;D

xetog

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 10:12:57 AM »
ChrisG46 seems to have the most balanced view of this.  We live in a surveillance society in what we say, write or do is available to all.  I guess the US is looking for terrorist training camps set up by UKIP extremists  ;D .  Amazon will soon be raining parcels on us out of the sky, I only hope they are well packed!  I can see loads of road accidents being blamed on such devices "Well m'lud, I was driving along at 30mph minding my own business when I was overtaken by this parcel flying along at 10ft and I was so distracted I didn't see the police car at the junction and T boned him!"

M. 8)
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

ChrisG46

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 10:26:02 AM »
Ah, no . . you've missed a point! With the dashboard cameras the insurance companies say we'll have to have to get the best price insurance, we'll be able to film the drones that buzz us, and sue Amazon for damages . . it'll all add to the fun!

Mind you, I'm looking forward to a weekend training course with Nigel and the lads at UKIP terrorist training camp . . He'll be there if there's a pub nearby. 8)
Best wishes,
Chris

www.chrisgosling.co.uk

Shelton

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 10:29:39 AM »
I used Amazon last week, normal delivery was expected, but it arrived next day, now I know why, never heard a thing :D
not phil

ChrisG46

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 10:52:28 AM »
Are you saying you missed the drone of the drone droning in, and then the drone of the drone droning out again?
Apparently, in the US, they're talking about people shooting them down - perhaps we could use them as targets at the UKIP terrorist training camp mentioned above (I'm becoming increasingly keen on this as a possible weekend recreational activity).
Best wishes,
Chris

www.chrisgosling.co.uk

xetog

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 10:58:03 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D :'(

M. 8)

Fred Smiff

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 11:16:27 AM »
ChrisG46 ...PLEASE ...don't keep droning on & on & on ...... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ChrisG46

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 11:27:19 AM »
Sorry to take so long replying . . drone spotting . . (new leisure activity).
Best wishes,
Chris

www.chrisgosling.co.uk

granny bee

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 12:05:07 PM »
Alll very well until someone in some far flung place goes into zapping mode! ??? 

xetog

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 04:47:09 PM »
Hey Chris.  Clay pigeon shooting was big where I used to live, perhaps we could have a new sport of Drone downing.  A double barrel 12 bore would be an ideal weapon and the additional manoeuvrability of a drone over the predictable clay pigeon puck would add some extra fun and skill into the mix.  Added to which, if you manage to bring down an Amazon one, you never know what goodies you might win. 8)

M. 8)