Author Topic: What angers you about modern life  (Read 13978 times)

Gael

Re: What angers you about modern life
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2014, 08:00:09 AM »
Shelton.  Not knowing makes me angrier than ever.  Modern life has many wonders that we never even dreamed of when I was young, but it seems to me that because of it, some of the more evil elements have gained ground because of it.

M. 8)

Yes, they come with a price alright. :-\

Gael

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2014, 08:02:29 AM »
Must admit I don't admire the current trend in entertainment, where the ruder you can be about someone, or the more you can criticise and demolish whatever they feel they have achieved, the better/funnier it's supposed to be.

I agree that the entertainment field has turned very dark indeed. Even outside in the public arena kids photograph violence amongst themselves on their phones and post it for entertainment. ::)

Gael

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2014, 08:04:54 AM »
Fair enough, but I have forgotten far too many things I knew to worry about things I don't know, if someone wanted me to know I am sure they would tell me. I would probably forget it quite quickly  :)

The blessings of being oblivious. My husband goes about like that and he sure is less stressed then I am, who is hyper aware and concerned  about everything.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2014, 09:08:17 AM »
And if you're saying that absolutely nothing about this modern age even annoys you then you're sure made of different stuff then the majority of the population.
I was going to say something along these lines Gael but didn't want to get into an argument with G49 so kept silent but yes, how lovely to go through life with not a care in the world, a very rare breed!
For me, "annoying" is seeing all these fat people riding around on their scooters claiming to be "disabled", and no doubt claiming disability benefits, when keeping their mouths shut would have solved there problem!
And yes, the heading IS "what angers you most about modern Life".
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

Granny49

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2014, 09:53:34 AM »
I don't think I am a "rare breed" Cheddar Caveman but perhaps I come from a line of those who don't blame "modern life" for anything I feel could be better.  My Grandfather (born 1891), who had seen a very different world to the one we have made, used to say "there is nothing new under the sun" and I agree.

Gael, you say you are a person "who is hyper aware and concerned  about everything".  Just because I do not blame the times we live in for the ills around us does not mean I am any less concerned and I have never been able to see how being angry, certainly just being angry, would change one thing.  I have, however, gone out and done things to try and change what I see as unjust, unkind or just thoughtless.

In our 60s and 70s we are the generations that made todays world what it is.  If we are angry at all it should be with ourselves for not  making it a better place.  We have had our turn and, although we can support the younger generations, it is their world and they are making the best of what we have left them.

Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2014, 10:06:38 AM »
I guess if there was one thing that annoys me more than others it is todays benefits system where any Tom, Dick and Harry (and immigrants) can just sign on and live better that I can on my pension having worked hard all my life. I am not responsible for this as I have no control over it, like so many other things in todays world.
mjodeard@gmail.com

Granny49

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2014, 10:19:31 AM »
So you are not responsible for something that is almost certainly not true Cheddar Caveman.  That's OK then.  If you want to be angry be angry with the people who keep telling you there are all these people living the life of riley on benefits.  Would you actually change your current lifestyle for benefits?
Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.

Phil

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2014, 10:24:31 AM »
I guess if there was one thing that annoys me more than others it is todays benefits system where any Tom, Dick and Harry (and immigrants) can just sign on and live better that I can on my pension having worked hard all my life. I am not responsible for this as I have no control over it, like so many other things in todays world.

"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2014, 10:36:54 AM »
Same old pro and anti Phil, the forum will never change! ;D
mjodeard@gmail.com

xetog

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2014, 10:44:31 AM »
I spent most of my life, letting the real world pass me by.  In my teens and early 20's I was encouraged to gain an education and I trusted those in authority to do what was best whilst I kept my head down and learned how to make a living.  From  then on, because I was thrust into the world of work, I gradually began to understand how misplaced that trust was, as those surrounding me gradually taught me what an evil place the world could be. However, the need was to keep my council (mostly) and keep climbing the slippery pole in order to provide for my family and give them a good start in life.  Once that was achieved (about 50) I realised belatedly that no amount of hard work was going to allow me to reach the top because those places were reserved for the privileged, the evil and the incompetent.  So, too late, I began to think for myself and looking around saw what a mess those those in charge were making of the world.  Now at every turn, I stop and look for the angle that is used to control the population by fair means or foul (usually the latter).  Now I am old and worthless and can apparently change nothing I warn, cajole and rail against authority that would have me silenced.  Too few listen, if they did I would be in prison or dead.  The majority consider me mistaken and bitter, although I am neither.  before I go, world, please wake up to the deception of the arch manipulators who would destroy all we have built whilst smiling with contentment at the enrichment that will bring them.

M. 8)
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

sparky

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2014, 11:03:22 AM »
It must be obvious that for very many living on benefits, its a chosen way of life, but it is equally obvious that there are many, due to redundancy, disabled, etc that should get all the help they need.
Is not the simple solution,  if a fit person refuses a job, for at least the minimum wage, and within practical traveling distance,  their benefit is reduced by say 15%, and a further 15 % for each and every further job offered and refused, with turning up for interview unsuitably dressed, or deliberately acting in a way that would prevent an employer from excepting them, would also count as a refusal.

Countryman

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2014, 11:13:35 AM »
Yes, there are things that annoy me these days, but I like to be positive and think of the improvements. We can all sit and grumble, bemoaning the fact that immigrants (without whom GB couldn't survive without) are getting all the perks and us poor native Brits are losing out.

Think positive and count your blessings. Medical advancements, technology, transport - all of which have enrisched our lives. Would you really want to go back to the 1930s?

I'm with Granny49 on this one.

sparky

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2014, 11:32:43 AM »
Here we go again, without immigrants we would not survive, what utter rubbish, for every single advantage to this country by immigrants I can think of half a dozen disadvantages, to the British people. 

Granny49

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2014, 03:11:21 PM »
Countryman, I'm really glad to see there is another forum member who doesn't bemoan his lot  - which for most on here seems to be at least acceptable and for some not too bad at all.

Cheddar Caveman, sixty-five years ago we wouldn't have received a pension we could live on reasonably well if needs be and nor would those currently finding working life difficult or impossible be helped the way that they are.  Both of those may need small tweaks and neither were designed to make the recipients rich but we are all better off with them than without. 

Xetog, I am really sorry you feel like that.  I am quite sure you, and your life, are valued and loved by those who know you and I truly believe that, at the end of the day, nothing in life really matters except family and friends; everything else if flotsam.

xetog

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2014, 03:51:02 PM »
G49.  I did say I wasn't bitter  :) , but I do wonder if, had I made sure I was better informed when I was young instead of educating myself and keeping my nose to the grindstone, I had entered the political fray, could I have made a difference?  It is frustrating to find that when one has the time to voice concerns, there is nobody who want's to listen.  That is why the professional political classes get away with it.  Those of us who do think are engaged in other activities when our voices would stand some chance of being heard.

M. 8)
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.