Author Topic: Breakdown of the family dinner time  (Read 9375 times)

Gael

Breakdown of the family dinner time
« on: Jun 02, 2014, 07:42:28 AM »
[size=0px]Almost 900 of the children surveyed admitted regularly using technology while eating dinner with just seven percent claiming to switch off all their gadgets at meal times.  [size=0px]

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2645408/iGnore-Nine-ten-children-play-technology-eating-dinner-instead-talking-family.html#ixzz33SgKmoda

cheddar-caveman

Re: Breakdown of the family dinner time
« Reply #1 on: Jun 02, 2014, 07:57:13 AM »

This is just part of the problem with todays fragmented families and therefore fragmented society. Very few people know how to communicate as they never do unless it's by text!
Even today, when our family gets together, which unfortunately is not very often due to global locations, we sit at the table, TV off and all forms of modern technology are BANNED! We talk to each other and enjoy each other's company. Amazing what you find out by doing this! ;)
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

xetog

« Reply #2 on: Jun 02, 2014, 08:27:39 AM »
Same here CC

M. 8)
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

granny bee

« Reply #3 on: Jun 02, 2014, 11:37:57 AM »
Same here - the lost art of communicating over a meal around the table.  One of the things to be admired amongst our EU friends, French, Italians etc is the great pride they take in preparing good food to be enjoyed in a leisurely manner with family and friends.

Citizen68

« Reply #4 on: Jun 02, 2014, 02:17:07 PM »
Have to say, while on holiday recently, I was amazed by the number of parents who set up a Tablet showing a Disney video on the dinner table, to try and keep a toddler amused while they ate.

Gael

« Reply #5 on: Jun 02, 2014, 02:18:15 PM »
This is just part of the problem with todays fragmented families and therefore fragmented society. Very few people know how to communicate as they never do unless it's by text!
Even today, when our family gets together, which unfortunately is not very often due to global locations, we sit at the table, TV off and all forms of modern technology are BANNED! We talk to each other and enjoy each other's company. Amazing what you find out by doing this! ;)

Parents have to put their foot down and fight to have that precious family time together, especially at meals.

firenze

« Reply #6 on: Jun 02, 2014, 02:18:24 PM »
Grannybee I cannot imagine the meal times of the many shopping baskets I watch go through checkout, their  food is instant on the run I would hazard a guess.  Although I eat in solitary splendour I enjoy eating properly cooked food sometimes a bit adventurous more to do with leftovers than skill because most things are packaged for 2/4 people.   I mourn the passing of the regular family meals for today's young who miss the talk and information exchanged then.  iPhone free time should be held at least for some time in the home.
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Gael

« Reply #7 on: Jun 02, 2014, 02:18:43 PM »
Have to say, while on holiday recently, I was amazed by the number of parents who set up a Tablet showing a Disney video on the dinner table, to try and keep a toddler amused while they ate.

It doesn't surprise me. They use it as a baby sitting tool essentially.

Gael

« Reply #8 on: Jun 02, 2014, 02:19:25 PM »
Same here - the lost art of communicating over a meal around the table.  One of the things to be admired amongst our EU friends, French, Italians etc is the great pride they take in preparing good food to be enjoyed in a leisurely manner with family and friends.

The Italians are great at it too. That dinner table is the heart of the home.

Gael

« Reply #9 on: Jun 02, 2014, 02:22:25 PM »
Grannybee I cannot imagine the meal times of the many shopping baskets I watch go through checkout, their  food is instant on the run I would hazard a guess.  Although I eat in solitary splendour I enjoy eating properly cooked food sometimes a bit adventurous more to do with leftovers than skill because most things are packaged for 2/4 people.   I mourn the passing of the regular family meals for today's young who miss the talk and information exchanged then.  iPhone free time should be held at least for some time in the home.

I applaud your determination not to fall into the fast food trap people living alone experience. To make that effort to have a well prepared meal is the way to go if possible and health permits.

Worse are the young families that succumb to it. :-\

Granny49

« Reply #10 on: Jun 02, 2014, 02:46:40 PM »
Very few people know how to communicate as they never do unless it's by text!

Really?  I have come across very few people who don't know how to communicate.  What a strange world you life in :)
Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.

Gael

« Reply #11 on: Jun 02, 2014, 03:02:10 PM »
Really?  I have come across very few people who don't know how to communicate.  What a strange world you life in :)

You're lucky you're not around the ones that use texts to an abnormal degree. They're out there alright and you just are not seeing them, Granny. What a strange insulated world YOU live in.

Granny49

« Reply #12 on: Jun 02, 2014, 03:11:30 PM »
More sweeping statements made as facts.  People just communicate differently.  When I was young I knew of families where children were not allowed to talk at the table; everyone would have to wait for the most senior member to be seated before they sat down and grace was mandatory.  Why do you not insist we stick the these rules.  I can remember the wooden spoon next to my mother's place at the table and a sharp rap (on the table :)) would remind us that "all joints on the table will be carved" should an elbow stray. 

Personally I would rather have the more relaxed way I brought my children up telling that they needed to learn what others thought was appropriate so they could a) feel relaxed in company and b) know when it was appropriate to break the rules.

You have only to remember the lovely John Betjeman poem "How To Get On In Society" to understand that so called manners have always been used to differentiate one part of society from another.  The poor person in the poem, thinking they are obeying all societies "manners" rules is getting it (at that time) spectacularly wrong.  A lot of the rules we are told apply are sheer snobbery in the "I know better than you, therefore I am better than you" vein.

Phone for the fish knives, Norman
As cook is a little unnerved;
You kiddies have crumpled the serviettes
And I must have things daintily served.

Are the requisites all in the toilet?
The frills round the cutlets can wait
Till the girl has replenished the cruets
And switched on the logs in the grate.

It's ever so close in the lounge dear,
But the vestibule's comfy for tea
And Howard is riding on horseback
So do come and take some with me.

Now here is a fork for your pastries
And do use the couch for your feet;
I know what I wanted to ask you-
Is trifle sufficient for sweet?

Milk and then just as it comes dear?
I'm afraid the preserve's full of stones;
Beg pardon, I'm soiling the doileys
With afternoon tea-cakes and scones.

by the wonderful Mr Betjeman.
Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.

Granny49

« Reply #13 on: Jun 02, 2014, 03:19:00 PM »

You're lucky you're not around the ones that use texts to an abnormal degree. They're out there alright and you just are not seeing them, Granny. What a strange insulated world YOU live in.
I do not live in an "insulate world" Gael; I just choose not to be continually offended by my fellow man :).  Those who are offended by what they think is happening are all choosing to be offended.  Those who are so horrified are talking about people who are not living in their home - as there every is done "properly" - so why should you or I have be offended by how others live?

It would be really nice to see a positive thread but I have a feeling few would join it as grumbling and disparaging others seems to make many on here happy.

firenze

« Reply #14 on: Jun 02, 2014, 03:28:47 PM »
Quote:- by granny49
It would be really nice to see a positive thread but I have a feeling few would join it as grumbling and disparaging others seems to make many on here happy.

Oh dear is that really how you see the forum when they join in discussing a topic?
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.