Author Topic: Green Deal  (Read 1974 times)

colin

Green Deal
« on: Jun 02, 2014, 04:00:37 PM »
 I was looking for a Green Deal Assessor in the Norfolk area so used the search facility on the Government site.

I got 90 plus results but none it Norfolk… Ok for Scotland, Wales, West Country.

Citizen68

Re: Green Deal
« Reply #1 on: Jun 02, 2014, 05:48:31 PM »
Colin, it may be the same as a number of similar things, e.g. people who prepare energy performance certificates. It is organised on a national basis, by region: and only so many people qualify and put themselves on the Internet. You have to recruit someone from there, and he/she probably doesn't live anywhere near you! Doesn't seem like the most efficient way to do it, but there you are!! (In getting an EPC cert. myself a few years ago, I ended with someone from up North, via an estate agent - but have found out since that there are people nearer.)

colin

« Reply #2 on: Jun 02, 2014, 07:00:26 PM »
 I suspect you are right but still a waste of time.

Some of the information gatherers (person answering the phone) just did not listen to my questions they just hit script mode as they only wanted my details.

xetog

« Reply #3 on: Jun 02, 2014, 07:49:02 PM »
Hve you tried:
[size=78%]

[size=78%]https://www.  [size=78%]epc [size=78%]register.com/  
[size=78%]

[size=78%]M.   :o
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

xetog

« Reply #4 on: Jun 02, 2014, 07:50:39 PM »
I'll do it again:

www.epcregister.com/

[size=78%]

[size=78%]M.   8)
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #5 on: Jun 02, 2014, 07:51:03 PM »
Hve you tried:
[size=78%]

[size=78%]https://www. [size=78%]epc[/size][size=78%]register.com/
[size=78%]

[size=78%]M.  :o
What the heck is that lot xetog ;D ? Oh and what's a Green Deal Assessor ???
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

colin

« Reply #6 on: Jun 03, 2014, 08:18:13 AM »
 Thanks for the link xetog, I already have this done it is the next stage of assessing what are the best improvements to make hence my search for somebody independent under the Green deal scheme.
This explains the basic C-C or go to http://gdorb.decc.gov.uk/assessors for a fuller explanation.

Green Deal Assessor Role
A Green Deal assessment is the first step for consumers to enter into a Green Deal plan, and can only be carried out by an authorised Green Deal Assessor. Following the Green Deal Assessment visit, a Green Deal Advice Report is produced which outlines the energy efficiency measures that can form a basis for the Green Deal Improvement Package.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #7 on: Jun 03, 2014, 08:35:41 AM »
OK, I've read all that but still have no idea what the end result is, the benefits to the consumer. It says they come in and "install" the recommended items - what - boiler - fires? Am I being thick here??
mjodeard@gmail.com

colin

« Reply #8 on: Jun 03, 2014, 08:45:38 AM »
 No you are not CC.

It is a way of paying for improvements such as Boiler/insulation/solar panels ect.

You get an interest free loan which is paid back by the money saved on you electric bill.

Example: Say you pay £50 per month now after the improvements your bill would be £40. You carry on paying the £50 with the £10 save coming off your loan.

That’s how I see it anyway.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #9 on: Jun 03, 2014, 09:21:55 AM »
Ah, thank you Colin. Anything that might save a few pounds sounds like something worth investigating. Some years ago I did look at solar panels but I don't have enough south facing roof space, or I didn't then. I understand that east and west come into the equation now so maybe worth looking again.
mjodeard@gmail.com

colin

« Reply #10 on: Jun 03, 2014, 11:16:50 AM »
 Looked at solar panels a few years ago but did not like the idea that it would take 20+ years to repay our investment.

Also er-indoors think they are unsightly.

Interesting side note had a cold call the other day about these panels and part of the script was they would be paid for after 20 years.  My reply was I could be in my box by then.

colin

« Reply #11 on: Jun 03, 2014, 11:19:00 AM »
 CC There are loads going up facing East around here, not sure about west though.

Citizen68

« Reply #12 on: Jun 03, 2014, 11:20:11 AM »
Colin, CC, I wonder how they can 'guarantee' what you will save, as each of us consumes gas/electricity in our individual way? Granted, you will save something if you have insulation added, for example, but - for myself - I would worry that it was going to be enough to repay that loan asap. Presumably, too, you would not 'save' anything on heating costs over the summer, so does interest accrue then? Is it also means tested??

colin

« Reply #13 on: Jun 03, 2014, 11:37:53 AM »
Citizen68 The assessor says what the saving will be NOT what it actually is.

It is not the amount of saving that is so important just that there is a saving.

There is no interest on the loan so if it takes 20 years then so be it.

Citizen68

« Reply #14 on: Jun 03, 2014, 11:42:19 AM »
colin, thanks for clarifying that.