Author Topic: Now Costa del Crime is a haven for benefit fraud  (Read 2896 times)

Gael

Now Costa del Crime is a haven for benefit fraud
« on: Jun 03, 2014, 07:43:07 AM »
[size=0px]Hundreds of Britons – many of them retired - are believed to be cheating the welfare system as they enjoy life soaking up the Spanish sunshine [size=0px]

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2646291/Spain-harbours-highest-number-expat-benefit-cheats-700-believed-scamming-soaking-sun.html#ixzz33YX1sQX3  

xetog

Re: Now Costa del Crime is a haven for benefit fraud
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2014, 09:03:04 AM »
Yes Gael,  there has been a lot of benefit claiming by Brits in Spain because it was always considered legitimate within the EU.  It is only recently that there has been a clamp down and Ex-pats are being recalled to the UK to check their benefits.  It's a two edged sword really as these people would probably cost the UK far more if they were resident there.

I knew someone who suffered for years from childhood Arthritis, a particularly debilitating disease.  In the UK he had a lot of NHS treatment pinning his worn out joints and was on huge doses of expensive anti-inflammatory drugs.  He lost his job as a roofer early in the recession and could not find work, so moved to the Alicante region in Spain, but retained his benefits.  Within weeks his pain had ceased and mobility improved to such an extent that he was able to come off his meds and stayed that way (on benefits as he was still unable to find work).  Last year he was recalled to the UK or face loosing his benefits.  His pain and reliance on medication returned and he still cannot find work due to his limited mobility.  I imagine it's costing the UK far more to keep him at home than it ever was to support him in Spain.

My wife also has Arthritis in most of her joints, but is free from pain here and generally stays so for a couple of months after we return to the UK (although no benefits are involved). Isolated incidents I know and I bet there are many living off benefits in Spain that don't warrant the cash.  Many pensioners who retain their benefits argue that they are costing the UK no more than if they lived at home.  At least they are not a burden on the NHS.

M. 8)
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Granny49

« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2014, 10:15:57 AM »
I am sure, xetog, that this will be as complex as all other "frauds" :).  There was an article in the Times yesterday about this yesterday and I noticed that it said in 2013 there were 769 suspected cases involving Spain and this did not seem a large number to me.  Add to that they often seem to add together, as we have seen in the past, fraud and errors and that those errors include errors made by the DWP as well as the claimant and it feels to me as if it may be pretty insignificant.  They compared the figure of 769 with the 638 in Pakistan, 298 in Turkey and 282 in India - all suspect not actual.  I must admit that I would have like to have seen the amount of the actual frauds as well before coming to any conclusion about this although no doubt the DM is telling us to be "shocked" yet again.

No that any fraud is to be condoned but I come back to the argument that we should make the system easier and fewer mistakes or frauds can then be made.

One thing you may be able to clarify for me is why benefits for Pensioners are claimed from the UK and not from Spain if someone has permanent residence?
Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.

xetog

« Reply #3 on: Jun 03, 2014, 02:22:38 PM »
G49, I agree.  Apparently, the EU ruling is that all member nations must pay the same benefits to residents from other EU nations as they pay their own.  However since benefits in Spain are virtually nil, there is little point.  I think I said once before that the system would only make sense if there were one common system of benefits, then there would be little attraction for benefit seekers to come to Britain.

M. 8)
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Gael

« Reply #4 on: Jun 03, 2014, 03:35:09 PM »
Yes Gael,  there has been a lot of benefit claiming by Brits in Spain because it was always considered legitimate within the EU.  It is only recently that there has been a clamp down and Ex-pats are being recalled to the UK to check their benefits.  It's a two edged sword really as these people would probably cost the UK far more if they were resident there.

I knew someone who suffered for years from childhood Arthritis, a particularly debilitating disease.  In the UK he had a lot of NHS treatment pinning his worn out joints and was on huge doses of expensive anti-inflammatory drugs.  He lost his job as a roofer early in the recession and could not find work, so moved to the Alicante region in Spain, but retained his benefits.  Within weeks his pain had ceased and mobility improved to such an extent that he was able to come off his meds and stayed that way (on benefits as he was still unable to find work).  Last year he was recalled to the UK or face loosing his benefits.  His pain and reliance on medication returned and he still cannot find work due to his limited mobility.  I imagine it's costing the UK far more to keep him at home than it ever was to support him in Spain.

My wife also has Arthritis in most of her joints, but is free from pain here and generally stays so for a couple of months after we return to the UK (although no benefits are involved). Isolated incidents I know and I bet there are many living off benefits in Spain that don't warrant the cash.  Many pensioners who retain their benefits argue that they are costing the UK no more than if they lived at home.  At least they are not a burden on the NHS.

M. 8)

Always two sides to every story and thanks for relating that situation's scenario, Xetog.