Author Topic: Passwords  (Read 946 times)

xetog

Passwords
« on: Jun 04, 2014, 01:47:19 PM »
I note that the banks are again to attempt to make cyber crime the responsibility of the account holder.  With stern warnings not to write down pass numbers or codes or save them in any electronic form.  They forget that they have pushed the elderly into opening bank accounts so that they can use the money of the careful and thrifty and that many of us who willingly agreed to the use of electronic media in middle age are now becoming elderly and much less able to retain complex numbers and word patterns in their own memory.

I have three bank accounts, each one requires a different format and two of them require 3 items of information before I can access those accounts. I also have  a number of credit and debit cards, each with it's own unique set of access codes.  In addition I have an unrecorded number of on-line accounts that insist on me joining some sort of customer list, again each has it's own access code, frequently having different key requirements.  How am I supposed to remember all of these?  I used to have them all on a locked memory stick (another code word!), but felt that it was too easy to loose, so I have moved them all to an account on the Cloud (another code word!)  Now I am considering other secure methods for my most critical data.  I have however removed my main bank codes from any record except my own mind and that of my wife, but she has problems remembering them.  I am thinking of giving each of the kids one item to remember so that they can access my money by putting all the parts together in the event I die or am disabled by some means or other.

Can it be so difficult to implement a single, simple system that is secure and protects the elderly and disabled from these cyber predators who would steal from the frail? And cannot the banks who having taken our money to pay their debts cannot be bothered to protect us from these disgusting savages use the brilliance they used to cheat their clients and cause the recession be made liable for their neglect?

M. 8)

If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

cheddar-caveman

Re: Passwords
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2014, 01:58:14 PM »
Can it be so difficult to implement a single, simple system that is secure and protects the elderly and disabled from these cyber predators who would steal from the frail?
In a word, yes! Todays cyber criminals are computer whizz kids, expert programmers and networkers who, with the aid of todays super fast computers, can crack just about anything. Luckily for us they tend to go for bigger fish than our bank accounts where they may get a few thousand and tend to concentrate on corporate institutions. Mind you, the latest virus doing the rounds, called "Gameover Zeus (GOZeuS)" is specifically aimed at us, the day to day PC users and these will fleece you. Users are typically infected by clicking on attachments or links in emails which may look like they have been sent by genuine contacts and may purport to carry invoices, voicemail messages, or any file made to look innocuous. These emails are generated by other victims' computers, who do not realise they are infected, and are used to send mass emails creating more victims." The virus only affects Windows, including Windows running on Apple Macs, and people are being urged to install anti-virus software and update their operating systems to the latest version to stop it form infecting their machines.
These programs, once on your computer, lie dormant until you go to a bank or similar site, then they "wake-up" and record your log-in details and send them back to their "control". Simple!
So glad I went over to Mac ;D
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

firenze

« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2014, 02:38:35 PM »
I have to be pleased to see the two forgoing posts.  I naturally always have a suspicious mind and lack finding giving trust to anything or anyone a huge hudle.  When I began to age and I downsized I decided technology beat me so reduced as much as possible.  I tucked savings away leaving me only a current an isa and a feeder account to worry about. Ceased telephone banking and am fortunate to be not far away from my bank branch so do business in person.
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Citizen68

« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2014, 03:12:38 PM »
In terms of the virus warning to computer users that the new virus(es) will hit within the next two weeks: DO NOT OPEN any e-mail attachment that appears to be sent by someone you know but contains nothing but the link.

After someone I know had his directory hacked, we received a number of these fake e-mails over a period of time where they appeared to have latched on to a name we would recognise. We deleted them unread.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #4 on: Jun 04, 2014, 04:18:28 PM »
Good advice. If you get an email from someone you know, with an attachment, contact that person first to check whether they actually sent it. If they did, all well and good but if they didn't their computer has probably been hacked and 1/. delete that email and 2/. tell them that they need to "clean" their computer up as it has probably been infected!
Almost all viruses get into computers via email - be alert!
mjodeard@gmail.com

xetog

« Reply #5 on: Jun 04, 2014, 04:26:39 PM »
Rather than something in software I was thinking of something like a card reader that can be plugged in to the USB port of you laptop/PC with a card which has a password known only to you that has to be typed into the reader.  The card could have an electronic chip to prevent duplication and the reader a constantly shifting code.  y old company had something similar to enable employees to log into their VPN network from anywhere in the world.

I always avoid opening any suspect attachment, one can usually see from the email address that it is not the one you are used to.  Although I almost got caught the other day as the email address and all the details seemed genuine, but I knew my bank would not email me with an attachment, so destroyed it.

M. 8)

colin

« Reply #6 on: Jun 05, 2014, 08:47:59 AM »

update their operating systems to the latest version to stop it form infecting their machines.

Is this just another way of making you part with your money?

Have you seen the cost of the current window operating system, then there will be the cost of upgrading the programmes that won’t work with the new system.

As for security passwords and not writing them down what did the bank do? they wrote it down and sent it to me by post.

xetog

« Reply #7 on: Jun 05, 2014, 09:09:19 AM »
That's true Colin and if it isn't in electronic memory somewhere, how do they know when you put the right password in.  Given CC's post I wonder how secure the banks own systems are.  It is probably easier to break in there and get all the information they need in one go, but of course the banks will never admit that their systems have been breached and blame us just the same.

A long time ago, I wanted a product on-line and the only way to pay was pay Pal, supposedly the most secure payment system there is.  I got half way through the enrolment process, decided it was too much bother and pulled out without confirming all my details and without placing and order.  Unbeknownst to me I was granted a Paypal account and some months later my credit card showed a number of purchases totalling about £800 all via Paypal.  I immediately contacted the card provider who blocked the payments and reinstated my money.  Paypal sent me a record of the transactions none of which was in my name, but made out to Mickey Mouse, Abraham Lincoln, etc, clearly fraudulent. I cancelled the account and despite promises they never did let me know how it was breached or what action was taken.

M. 8)

Fred Smiff

« Reply #8 on: Jun 05, 2014, 09:40:15 AM »
Xetog  , I am using Paypal currently , and have had no problems at all ,
My Mrs says I've got a mind like a Welsh railway........one track and filthy 😁

xetog

« Reply #9 on: Jun 05, 2014, 11:15:54 AM »
Fred.  Once you have had a bad experience with a company it is sometimes difficult to overcome the distaste.  I have loads of companies that I have only dealt with once and probably ever will again, but keep a record of the log-on just in case I need them again.  Anyhow most now give the alternative of a credit/debit card payment.

M. 8)

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #10 on: Jun 05, 2014, 11:48:27 AM »
Is this just another way of making you part with your money?
Have you seen the cost of the current window operating system, then there will be the cost of upgrading the programmes that won’t work with the new system.
So glad I use a Mac! None of this having to pay to upgrade, everything is free, and works! Just upgraded the full operating system on both our desktop and laptop, 5Gb of program, works a treat along with all installed programs. I do still have an old Windows PC as there are a lot of pictures on there, just use it as a storage device. No idea what version of Windows it's running!
Another advantage with the Mac is that very few malware and viruses are targeted at them as firstly there are not as many of them out there and secondly their operating system is much harder to infect. Windows has always been a soft target hence our switch.
mjodeard@gmail.com