Author Topic: Drinking problems  (Read 1082 times)

ronyork

Drinking problems
« on: Jun 05, 2014, 07:17:38 PM »
With the growing problem of drunks and drinking abuse. is it time to fetch back an earlier closing time for public houses, say 11 pm.

Rita Postlethwaite

Re: Drinking problems
« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2014, 07:24:09 PM »
Probably wouldn`t help that much Ronyork as it appears that lots of younger people get inebriated before even leaving for a night out.  :(
Never look down on anyone, unless it is to offer your hand to help them up.

firenze

« Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2014, 10:07:38 PM »
Not sure that would be a goer ronyork as the pubs hardly have clients in. The drink comes mostly elsewhere it would appear. My area  One closed and for sale, the second just gone up for sale too!
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Nick Clogg

« Reply #3 on: Jun 06, 2014, 12:19:35 AM »
I think alcohol is the present day similie to the Gin and Opium palaces of Victorian England, a reaction to cyclic feelings of hopelessness and social disregard. I've noticed a significant decline of 'pub related trauma' in my area over recent years, (although I'm not in a city centre)! As said here, many youngsters now 'pre-load' via Tesco et al, before sallying forth on their internecine adventures. The 'drink' lobby however is powerful and effective throughout Europe, so any 'ligatures', via opening restrictions, pricing etc to their 'pub property portfolio's', is very unlikely I would suggest. It's perhaps a sad case of profit and influence over health and diminishing social order. 'Civil liberty', as an over arching bastion, is such a convenient route for the various puppet inquiry committees to comply with and leave the status quo untouched.

Gael

« Reply #4 on: Jun 06, 2014, 06:57:15 AM »
Young ones here are half loaded even before they leave the house. Add to that the drug usage and it's out of control.

Drink is so cheap to purchase, they pick it up and start early in the evening.

Fred Smiff

« Reply #5 on: Jun 06, 2014, 07:27:08 AM »
I have to wonder if this society/world would be better off without alcohol . You see the problems it causes , or to be more accurate the problems caused by peoples lack of self-control , and it is appalling . The emergency services are already overstretched and yet they have to deal with an untold number of call-outs for drunks and problems caused by drunks.
Then the A&E dept's are swamped by them , adding to their workload , and causing delays for patients in the dep't. Alternatively the police are also swamped by this problem when they could be neede elsewhere .

The thing that has me guessing is exactly why is alcohol necessary ? is it not possible for folks to enjoy themselves without it ? If so , then it truly is getting to be a sad world .
My Mrs says I've got a mind like a Welsh railway........one track and filthy 😁

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #6 on: Jun 06, 2014, 07:44:56 AM »
Alcohol, in the form of beer (mead) was originally used here as there was no safe drinking water, everybody drank it. Not sure where the heavy stuff (spirit) originated, possibly in the form of rum though. Could look it up no doubt but not time just now.
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

firenze

« Reply #7 on: Jun 06, 2014, 10:08:37 AM »
Rather a reminder of childhood cowboy films when " firewater" was kept from the Indians.  It becomes rather like that in town centres on Friday and Saturday nights doesn't it :o
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

peterpensioner

« Reply #8 on: Jun 06, 2014, 10:09:51 AM »
I have to wonder if this society/world would be better off without alcohol

This is true of so many things, nuclear weapons, recreational drugs, religion, national identity etc. etc. the list is endless. Sadly we can’t “un-invert” things, we just have to learn to live with them.

sarahbilly 1

« Reply #9 on: Jun 06, 2014, 10:22:59 AM »
must be ok. to drink after all nigel farage, david cameron and now vince cable/nick clegg quite fond of photo shoots,  with pint in hand.

Fred Smiff

« Reply #10 on: Jun 06, 2014, 10:49:27 AM »
This is true of so many things, nuclear weapons, recreational drugs, religion, national identity etc. etc. the list is endless. Sadly we can’t “un-invert” things, we just have to learn to live with them.

True Peter , but it could be taxed to the extent of making folks think twice ...........and the extra tax revenue could be plowed into the emergency services and the NHS.

Gael

« Reply #11 on: Jun 06, 2014, 11:05:17 AM »
I have to wonder if this society/world would be better off without alcohol . You see the problems it causes , or to be more accurate the problems caused by peoples lack of self-control , and it is appalling . The emergency services are already overstretched and yet they have to deal with an untold number of call-outs for drunks and problems caused by drunks.
Then the A&E dept's are swamped by them , adding to their workload , and causing delays for patients in the dep't. Alternatively the police are also swamped by this problem when they could be neede elsewhere .

The thing that has me guessing is exactly why is alcohol necessary ? is it not possible for folks to enjoy themselves without it ? If so , then it truly is getting to be a sad world .

There was a little thing in the US called "Prohibition" from 1920 to 1933. It didn't work and led to the growth of criminal organizations including the Mafia.
And deaths from moonshine concoctions as well. Humans will always find a way to get what they want whether it's good for them or not.

Phil

« Reply #12 on: Jun 06, 2014, 06:15:38 PM »
With the growing problem of drunks and drinking abuse. is it time to fetch back an earlier closing time for public houses, say 11 pm.

It might help with the rowdy drinkers out on the street at 3:00am but it won't tackle alcohol abuse which is a different subject.

I used to be very judgemental until I become involved, via a friend in rehab, in alcohol addiction & studied the subject in some depth & then it totally changed my outlook.

Now when I see a drinker I see the ex-vet who could no longer cope with putting animals to sleep,

I see the woman who's so drunk she'll forget she was raped until she sobers up.

I see the woman who's getting drunk so that she'll be able to cope with her wealthy businessman husband's sexual abuse when he gets home from work ranting & raving with her kids hiding upstairs.

That's what I see when I see a 'drunk' .

"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

ronyork

« Reply #13 on: Jun 07, 2014, 07:59:32 AM »
I see a lot of excuses.

Fred Smiff

« Reply #14 on: Jun 07, 2014, 08:56:19 AM »
The term ''lack of self control'' comes readily to mind !.......JUST SAY 'NO' ! I did , to the addiction of nicotine after having smoked for 40+ years , so it CAN be done !