Author Topic: Should they have been arrested?  (Read 2241 times)

granny bee

Re: Should they have been arrested?
« Reply #15 on: Jun 09, 2014, 07:41:05 AM »
Totally agree Gael.  When did having an overweight child become a criminal offence?  Sadly some parents seem beyond educating re healthy food, exercise etc., you only have to view the crap items in their supermarket trolleys.  The processed food industry has a lot to answer for, perhaps higher taxes on excessive sugary/salty foods is the answer, but then this of course penalises those eating sensibly as well.

Gael

« Reply #16 on: Jun 09, 2014, 07:48:46 AM »
Totally agree Gael.  When did having an overweight child become a criminal offence?  Sadly some parents seem beyond educating re healthy food, exercise etc., you only have to view the crap items in their supermarket trolleys.  The processed food industry has a lot to answer for, perhaps higher taxes on excessive sugary/salty foods is the answer, but then this of course penalises those eating sensibly as well.

I just put up a post on the false teeth thread about a family I am presently working with for the charity I volunteer for. The 4 year old has lost 7 teeth already due to dental hygiene neglect. The mother who also went the same route growing up due to not having a clue about brushing, flossing etc. has been given training for dental hygiene and now they both are making a concerted effort to prevent further problems.

Also with eating habits. Obesity is not the problem here, but lack of nutrition. The mother grew up without ever having proper foods and now we've helped her understand what constitutes a balanced diet and she's got on board.

She also has learning disabilities which they are watching the child to see if shes inherited it. So far I can see the child may be color blind but they will test her when she starts school. The mother is motivated that her child not have the life she had and even took a maths course so she could help her child later. My heart goes out to this mother who obviously had a bad start in life and wants better for her little girl.

She rescued an abused cat which they love and you can see there is a lot of love in the home. I could go on and on, but I'll end now.

colin

« Reply #17 on: Jun 09, 2014, 08:45:35 AM »
Hey Gael people are on the large size these days, just look at the love train vid from the other topic & compare them to today.

When I was a kid I was so fat they used to say if I fell over at the top of a hill I would roll down it. When I was a teenager I lost it all.

colin

« Reply #18 on: Jun 09, 2014, 08:52:21 AM »
 Here is another thought…They were discussing taking away the child allowance for those parents who did not pay the fine for allowing their kids to play truant.

Will they remove free school dinners for the fat kids?

GrannyMac

« Reply #19 on: Jun 09, 2014, 09:15:08 AM »
Good on you Gael for your volunteer work.  I agree in that I don't think treating parents as criminals is the way forward, working with them as you are doing is far more productive - probably in nearly all cases.  However, it appears that the parents of this boy haven't listened to advice or accepted help, hence a much more drastic step has been taken.     
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

xetog

« Reply #20 on: Jun 09, 2014, 09:19:19 AM »
Having mulled this one over and viewing some very good posts, I have to say that on this (rare) occasion I come down on the side of the authorities on this one.  I believe in the USA, even relatively minor child neglect is considered a crime punishable by imprisonment and  wonder if that might work here?  Our system has spawned a generation of indolent parents who would rather indulge their children than exercise a little self discipline over themselves or their offspring.  Obesity is assuming epidemic proportions and already costs the nation £millions and threatens to engulf the NHS with its attendant spin-off diseases within a few years.  The authorities take a lot of stick if they get it wrong and rightly so, but on this occasion I believe, on balance that they came to the right decision.

M. 8)
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Granny49

« Reply #21 on: Jun 09, 2014, 09:56:32 AM »
I came to much the same conclusion xetog.  It is not how I would want this to be dealt with but if it is the only way of getting real help for the boy then perhaps it is how it has to happen.
Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me, my attitude depends on you.

Gael

« Reply #22 on: Jun 09, 2014, 01:11:32 PM »
Hey Gael people are on the large size these days, just look at the love train vid from the other topic & compare them to today.

When I was a kid I was so fat they used to say if I fell over at the top of a hill I would roll down it. When I was a teenager I lost it all.

This child would be more in the category of morbidly obese which isn't just a large kid. Read it and weep:

Child health and obesityObese children are more likely to be ill, be absent from school due to illness, experience health-related limitations and require more medical care than normal weight children.1 Overweight and obese children are also more likely to become obese adults, and have a higher risk of morbidity, disability and premature mortality in adulthood. The table below provides a summary of recent evidence on some of the main obesity-related conditions that can develop during childhood and adolescence.
  Potential health-related consequences of child and adolescent obesityHealth Problem    Type 2 diabetesType 2 diabetes usually appears in adults, but recently more children in the UK are being diagnosed with the condition, some as young as seven.2 A surveillance programme of children under 17 in the UK found that 95% of those diagnosed with type 2 diabetes were overweight and 83% obese. Type 2 diabetes was found to be increasing, with children from minority ethnic groups at higher risk than white children.3 In the US, analysis of the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2005 –2006 found that the pre-diabetes rate of overweight adolescents was 2.6 times higher than those with normal weight.4 Recent analysis of the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health found that diabetes risk was particularly high in adults who were obese as adolescents compared to those with adult-onset obesity.5  AsthmaA recent meta-analysis concluded that overweight and obese children are at a 40-50% increased risk of asthma compared to normal weight children.6 In the US, analysis of data from the National Survey of Children’s Health (NSCH) showed that 19.7% of children aged 10–17 with asthma were obese compared to 12.2% of children without a chronic condition.7 A further US study of adolescents with disabilities aged 12-18 found a significantly higher prevalence of asthma in overweight adolescents with non-mobility restrictions compared to their healthy weight counterparts (25.2% compared to 16.6%).8 Results from a recent large, longitudinal study of children and young people aged 6-19 years suggest that a higher BMI contributes to asthma development and may also lead to more severe asthma.9 Findings from the analysis of data from eight European birth cohorts suggest there may be a causal link between obesity and asthma in children, with rapid growth in BMI during the first 2 years of life increasing the risk of asthma up to age 6 years. 10  Obstructive Sleep apnoea (OSA) A recent review on childhood obesity and obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA) reported that the prevalence of OSA among obese children and adolescents could be as high as 60%.11 A study of children with sleep disturbances in Taiwan found that the risk of having OSA was significantly higher in severely obese children than that of normal weight children.12  Cardiovascular (CVD) risk factorsIn the Bogalusa Heart Study in the US, 70% of obese 5-17 year olds were found to have at least one risk factor for cardiovascular disease (CVD) for example high cholesterol levels, high blood pressure and abnormal glucose tolerance.13 A nationwide surveillance study in the Netherlands recently reported that 62% of young (≤12 years of age) severely obese children already had one or more CVD risk factors.14 A recent cohort study in the US found that childhood obesity is associated with a quadrupled risk of adult hypertension (26% of obese children had hypertension as adults compared to 6% of normal weight children).15 A recent review concluded that childhood obesity not only increases cardiovascular risk in adulthood, but it is also associated with cardiovascular damage during childhood. 16  Psychosocial risks / mental health disordersThere are conflicting views on the association between obesity and depression or low self-esteem in children.17However, there is strong evidence to suggest that by adolescence, there is increased risk of low self-regard and impaired quality of life in obese individuals.18 Factors associated with mental health problems in obese children include lower levels of physical activity, low self esteem, body dissatisfaction, eating disorders and weight-based teasing. 19 Recent findings from the Millennium Cohort Study suggest that childhood obesity may be associated with emotional and behavioural problems from a very young age, with obese boys at particular risk.20  Musculoskeletal problemsExcess weight can lead to increased stress on the musculoskeletal system. The most common orthopaedic problems in children include tibia vara (Blount’s Disease) and slipped capital femoral epiphysis resulting from the impact of increased weight on the developing skeletal system. 21 A recent systematic review concluded that overweight and obesity are related with various musculoskeletal complaints in childhood. Musculoskeletal pain was found to be significantly higher in overweight children than in normal weight children. 22 In the UK, obese 17 year olds from the Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children were more likely to report musculoskeletal pain, including knee pain, as well as more severe pain than their non-obese counterparts. 23 An Australian study of 10-13 year olds found that obesity lead to impaired physical health related quality of life and activity restrictions such as walking and climbing stairs. 24 In a large study of Dutch children aged 2-17 years, overweight and obese children reported musculoskeletal problems and lower extremity problems more frequently than their normal-weight peers. Ankle and foot problems were significantly more common in overweight and obese children compared with normal weight children.25    

xetog

« Reply #23 on: Jun 09, 2014, 04:30:21 PM »
Gael.  I hope you didn't type all that out yourself ;D .

M. 8)
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Gael

« Reply #24 on: Jun 09, 2014, 06:28:18 PM »
Gael.  I hope you didn't type all that out yourself ;D .

M. 8)

You know I didn't. ;D