Author Topic: What TV advert annoys you the most.  (Read 4761 times)

Papaumau

Re: What TV advert annoys you the most.
« Reply #15 on: Mar 19, 2010, 12:53:20 PM »
While I can not stand against charitable giving I do agree that not only do some of these BIG charities cost too much in admin charges but many of them have a lot of trouble getting the help to where it is needed the most.

This will always be a problem and it should not put us off giving to charities.

AND...please don't anybody spout the "charity begins at home" cliche as when one is living in a rich country like this one there is no reason why BOTH homegrown charities AND foreign charities should not be able to operate at the same time. One should NOT be done at the expense of the other !
Regards....

Papaumau.

Hells Granny

« Reply #16 on: Mar 19, 2010, 11:16:50 PM »
If charities can afford to pay companies to employ 'Chuggers' to mug folk in the street, also to put out big splashy TV commercials, then they show me they have plenty of money already, and don't need mine.

I do support charities, but increasingly the mail bombardments, the TV ads with Hearts and Flowers musical tracks in the background and the Chuggers, are annoying me to the point that Charities who use them will NOT get my dosh.

They should use the thousands they spend on these things to help the subject of their charity.

I was once stopped by a Save the Children Chugger, and had my small son in tow at the time. When he asked me to commit to donating to save the Children I just said 'Oh Good, You can save Mine!' and pointed at my son. (he knew what was going on).

All Charities who use such methods are on my Hit List. Beware!

Cheers, HG
What do you mean, my Birth Certificate has expired?!

John

« Reply #17 on: Mar 20, 2010, 02:12:03 PM »
A rich country with some very poor people in...

Papaumau

« Reply #18 on: Mar 20, 2010, 02:43:40 PM »
If charities can afford to pay companies to employ 'Chuggers' to mug folk in the street, also to put out big splashy TV commercials, then they show me they have plenty of money already, and don't need mine.

I do support charities, but increasingly the mail bombardments, the TV ads with Hearts and Flowers musical tracks in the background and the Chuggers, are annoying me to the point that Charities who use them will NOT get my dosh.

They should use the thousands they spend on these things to help the subject of their charity.

I was once stopped by a Save the Children Chugger, and had my small son in tow at the time. When he asked me to commit to donating to save the Children I just said 'Oh Good, You can save Mine!' and pointed at my son. (he knew what was going on).

All Charities who use such methods are on my Hit List. Beware!

Cheers, HG

Yes HG I have always stood against the professional fund-raisers that are paid to get money out of your pocket in the high street.

Unlike these mercenary people there are many thousands of unsung volunteers that give up their time and effort FREELY to support this or that charity.

There are also many charities that are highly efficient that serve a need that is essential to the wellbeing of the poor, the sick, the destitute and the war-displaced.

I am immediately thinking of Medicine Sans Frontiers, The Red Cross, War on want, Save the Children, ( do a great job ), The Salvation Army, The RNLI and Mountain rescue who many of us take for granted.

Again, one should never paint everyone with the same destructive brush.
Regards....

Papaumau.

John

« Reply #19 on: Mar 21, 2010, 03:06:51 AM »
I believe that some charities live on past reputation and remain as a fund raising brand.

I use the word charity lightly as some exist solely for tax reasons.

Papaumau

« Reply #20 on: Mar 21, 2010, 12:55:23 PM »
If that was the case then their books would show this and their charitable status would be taken off them !

Charities are only allowed their tax-breaks if they can show that they are doing the job that the charity was set up for.

I WILL admit that the watchdogs that are supposed to oversee these charities are not up to the job.
Regards....

Papaumau.

John

« Reply #21 on: Mar 27, 2010, 11:57:37 AM »
I would cite the General Medical Council as an example of this thin veil of charity.

But then again people have put their own spin on what charity actually is.

Replying to your post is a charitable act for instance - only joking.

Just showing the context.

Papaumau

« Reply #22 on: Mar 27, 2010, 12:21:39 PM »
As I see it.. the term "charity" should only be allowed when the body has what is called charitable status and that is supposed to be only allowed under VERY special circumstances.

Charitable status allows for private companies to do what they purport to do WITHOUT paying tax on capital gains and if they do not keep within the very precise rules concerning charitable status they can and often do lose their charitable status.

Find out all of the rules and application requirements of this status here: http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/publications/cc21.aspx

I personally think that just like with many of the quangos, ( I am sure that you will agree with me there ), many of the so-called "charities" should be shut down and barred from being charities if they do not follow the rules to the letter and carry out their remits precisely.
Regards....

Papaumau.

John

« Reply #23 on: Mar 27, 2010, 02:32:33 PM »
I do agree with you on this.

In all of this the Quango in charge is helping pull the wool over the majority of the Public's Eyes.

I expect that they would say, in between courses at Lunch, that the information is there for people
to see and the majority are not interested.