Author Topic: Would you fly Malaysia Airlines?  (Read 2391 times)

cheddar-caveman

Would you fly Malaysia Airlines?
« on: Jul 27, 2014, 05:38:21 PM »
We are going down to Australia over the Christmas/New Year to see our sons and (I wonder why) the best deals around at the moment is on Malaysia Airlines. Quite a quandary for us but we will probably not fly them but not because of the shooting down of MH17 but because of the unsolved total disappearance of MH370. There is far more to worry about with this incident as jot would seem that airline personnel are involved and that it was a deliberate act.
Would you fly with them even if they "re brand" which is being talked about?
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

firenze

Re: Would you fly Malaysia Airlines?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2014, 06:57:25 PM »
No I would not fly Malaysia, my son has on a number of occasions. He was on a trip when that plane came to grief and for a wee while my stomach fell out. I saw him last weekend and asked the question his answer was people would not and he would think hard about it too many unexplained events.

Keep thinking CC!

Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Citizen68

« Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 2014, 07:14:55 PM »
CC, inclined to agree that the saving might not be worth the anxiety!!

granny bee

« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2014, 07:40:49 AM »
Think I would shop around other airlines CC, would rather feel safe than save a few bob.  Guess though any flight is a risk to some extent, having last flown to Oz and NZ some years we found 'round the world' flight cheapest, outward stopover Singapore. homeward via Cook Islands, Los Angelos.

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2014, 07:49:08 AM »
Ooo that sounds exciting granny bee but we are time limited and want as direct a route as possible to get us as much time in Perth with our "once a year visit" with our sons!
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

Phil

« Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2014, 08:38:47 AM »
Safer still, don't fly.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

xetog

« Reply #6 on: Jul 28, 2014, 08:58:13 AM »
I would not fly any airline that was not part of what I call 'rich country' airlines.  First, maintenance standards are always suspect in those who are outside the sphere of Western influence.  Whether it is because of lower engineering standards, or because there is less resistance to cutting corners, I don't know, but although I have sometimes flown outside this dictate,, it has never been with an easy mind.  Second, although the planes are often modern, they are not always equipped up to the very latest standards as far as things like radar equipment and ither expensive electronic safety systems not considered essential by their cash strapped governments.

I suppose there is a third in that I have been bought up in an era to consider British pilots the best.  Probably unfounded and have happily flow in planes piloted by Americans and Japanese, but for some third world 'wing and a prayer merchants do not fill me with confidence.  There are some parts of the world that you cannot reach without crossing your fingers and trusting your life to some higher authority, but as we know, that doesn't always work.

M. 8)
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Johned

« Reply #7 on: Jul 28, 2014, 04:26:20 PM »
I understand BA and Quantas wisely do not overfly this warzone but others still do as it would cost them more in fuel to deviate to an alternative route.  I admit I am prejudiced as I dislike flying intensely and fearful of the experience.  As a personal aside, the only time I felt really confident was back in the sixties on an RAF Transport Command Britannia captained and piloted by a very confident and decorated Warrant Officer; one of the last of the NCO aircrew, I understood at the time.  A rather obnoxious army Colonel in our party remonstrated with him as he did not like his allocated seat and to our utter delight this pompous ass was ordered curtly to sit down whilst in "my" aeroplane without even a "Sir!"  I bet things have changed since then.

Shelton

« Reply #8 on: Jul 28, 2014, 04:32:09 PM »
Oh dear me!! do you all stop driving if a certain kind of car/bus/train whatever crashes ? for goodness sake people get a bit of perspective.
not phil

xetog

« Reply #9 on: Jul 28, 2014, 05:09:04 PM »
Depends whether they kept having "bad luck" and whether I felt it was something more.  Loosing about 400 customers in two flights might be seen as a mite careless.  I remember the case of an American DC10 that lost a wing mounted engine (they had three including one mounted in the tail).  It was captured on video turning over on it's back and crashing, killing all aboard.  There was also voice from the pilot.  The reason the engine fell off?  The maintenance crew were in a hurry and felt they could ignore strict instructions from the manufacturers and use a fork lift to reinstall the engine after service.  In doing so they had over stressed to pylon mounting and the whole thing came adrift on take off and full of fuel with the inevitable consequence.

I don't remember the name of the airline, but I know I would have been very concerned about flying with them. There are always reasons for such disasters, Malaysian airlines took a calculated gamble with the lives of the passengers of MH17, I would certainly wonder what other corners they might cut.

M. 8)
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Shelton

« Reply #10 on: Jul 28, 2014, 06:46:51 PM »
All the info anyone needs - http://www.airsafe.com/ - happy to help  :)  (would hate to end on a curt note!)
not phil

Ashy

« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2019, 06:40:27 PM »
Hardly seems like a whole five years since MH370 was lost, and in all that time, and with the most extensive ocean search ever, next to nothing has been found.

fortyone

« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2019, 07:11:31 PM »
What lead to you finding this thread Ashy. I didn't spot the date and thought we had Cheddar Caveman back with more than a quick photo.

Regarding the search they can only make a best guess where to search and compared to the size of the ocean even a passenger jet is a tiny thing.

Ashy

« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2019, 07:21:26 PM »
I didn't want to start a new thread if there was one here already. Just sayin' really, it's such a pity that so little has been found after all this time, but it is like looking for a needle in a very big haystack.

fortyone

« Reply #14 on: Mar 08, 2019, 07:31:15 PM »
I obviously don't know but I imagine it probably broke up and you'd end up with bits that wouldn't necessarily be easily identified as part of an aircraft once on the bottom for a few years. I guess the water depth would be critical too.

They did find the light aircraft carrying the premier league footballer but they had quite a well defined area to search and the interview suggested there was a lot of luck involved as it was found by the commercial searchers pretty much immediately. From what I recall they weren't even sure of the course MH370 followed.