Author Topic: Beef  (Read 1483 times)

avalonmpk

Beef
« on: Mar 16, 2010, 04:25:15 PM »
I have a beef about beef.
What passes for beef today is full of water, its 'jet-washed at the abattoir( the same for pork & lamb), anyone know where you can buy REAL BRITISH BEEF.
I know the fear of CJD but what they are doing to our food is disgusting:
Viz:
In Britain about ten people died because of this in the space  of ten years. Exports were curtailed and at home the sale of beef was suspended for a period, and yet in the same period how many people died from car accidents were the sale and export of cars banned? Not likely No Tax on Beef!

John

Re: Beef
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2010, 06:59:45 PM »
From your local Beef Farmer. He may have a shop or other arrangement.

There is no taste as good as fresh beef straight from the Farm.

On par with bread from a proper bakery...

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2010, 08:48:49 PM »
Don't know where you are. Me? I go to my local village butcher who buys it from our local farmer! BEAUTIFULL!

There is also a very good mail service:

http://www.donaldrussell.com/Default.asp?&cookie_test=1

I have used them several times and they are also very good!
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

avalonmpk

« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2010, 09:17:14 AM »
Cheddar-Caveman,
I'm over the border in Wiltshire, I believe I know the butcher you mean, A good use of my bus-pass I think - Thanks for reminding me.
But the worrying point is the legislation make all slaughterhouses use the same method - too much water!

Papaumau

« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2010, 11:34:15 AM »
I have a beef about beef.
What passes for beef today is full of water, its 'jet-washed at the abattoir( the same for pork & lamb), anyone know where you can buy REAL BRITISH BEEF.
I know the fear of CJD but what they are doing to our food is disgusting:
Viz:
In Britain about ten people died because of this in the space  of ten years. Exports were curtailed and at home the sale of beef was suspended for a period, and yet in the same period how many people died from car accidents were the sale and export of cars banned? Not likely No Tax on Beef!

Beef must be "hung" by law for a minimum number of days before it can be legally sold.

After the vCJD scare there were rules put in place so that animals for slaughter were of the right age and from guaranteed herds to ensure that BSE/vCJD - in humans - was not allowed to pass into the food chain.

The incidences of vCJD have now been reduced to very small numbers but a new worry hs emerged: The authorities suspect that the vCJD prions may be transmittable via blood transfusion and this is being looked at at the moment.

As far as taste is concerned I am sure that it will vary around the country with the best still coming from Aberdeen Angus cattle. Supermarkets will source their beef from the cheapest market they can find and that will often be from abroad.

I am sure - as has already been said - if your beef - or other meats - are bought straight from your local butcher or farmer's market, they should be of the highest quality.
Regards....

Papaumau.