Author Topic: Authorities take your home to pay for care?  (Read 4175 times)

Chris

• Administrator
Authorities take your home to pay for care?
« on: Apr 02, 2006, 02:51:17 AM »
How true is this? My parents have worked bloody hard all their lives and payed a lifetime of tax & national insurance. Is it right they should be now be penalised for working so hard and managing to buy their own home, only to have it taken away? Whereas someone who has been living on benefits all their life in a house from the council, then gets free residential care as well. If it's true it doesn't sound at all fair to me.

Snail

Re: Authorities take your home to pay for care?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2006, 09:57:31 PM »
And why is it in Scotland, which is an integral part of Great Britain & the UK, this doesn't happen? Also they vget free NATIONAL travel throughout Scotland.

Jan H

« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2006, 07:22:40 PM »
Response to Snail.
Bus passes - free all over Scotland - great facility and I am sure when this comes to England, as is the proposal. you will enjoy jumping on a bus with all the other golden oldies, that is providing you can get a seat! You will appreciate this facility is being well used.  I do however sympathise with the way you feel and agree that the whole of the UK should have free bus travel.  By doing this we can travel all over the UK - at the moment we are confined to Scotland - but this is maybe something you welcome??
Homes being sold for home care fees.  At the moment we do need to sell our homes to pay for home care fees.  I know that there was a proposal about this being set aside but I am not aware of this being in place yet??  I believe there is a benefit to do with personal care. I am going to check this out! 

Snail

« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2006, 11:28:16 PM »
Yes. You are a haggis basher, then. So is Mrs Snail. We came down to Dorset to be with our son. Ten years later he took off with our grandchildren to New Zealand. What we really want is free passes on Singapore Airlines. We returned from a seven month holiday in Christchurch a month ago, but the pain of separation is still as great.
Scotland gets all the goodies. Maybe the Scots in charge of England are afraid their mates will restart the border raiding if they don't pay them in Scotgeld.

Jan H

« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2006, 10:03:36 AM »
To Mr & Mrs Snail -
Hi, thanks for the response.  I have checked the position re selling our houses in Scotland  to pay for home care fees and we DO have to sell our houses in Scotland to pay for home care fees just in the same way that you need to do in England. 

So what are the 'goodies' then apart from the bus pass that you are getting next year?  From what I hear you already get free local travel - is that right?

Why don't you move back to Scotland so that you can benefit from all our goodies??? (whatever they are)

Snail

« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2006, 07:56:27 PM »
We spent twenty six years in Scotland after we came back from Oz. During that time I came to realise that it's no place for an Englishman to feel at home in. However, in order to preserve the money which we have put into our home I was quite willing to return when it looks as if the Grim Reaper is approaching, but, if it is correct what you say, we'll have to think of some other haven. You never know, New Zealand could be on the cards. It's a pity, because Scotland is a beautiful country.
What is it that the younger Scots have against the English? We are all under the thumb of our Norman masters and always have been. All this tripe that gets spouted about Robert de Brus. He was a Norman who had lands in England and had this obsession to be king, so he picked Scotland. What did he do after the Scots put him on the throne? He built castles to subjugate them that's what. He betrayed Wallace to the Norman English king because he was a common Scot. Mel Gibson should remake his film and tell the truth - and Stirling should demolish that daft likeness if Gibson that they've erected. It's an insult to the memory of Wallace. Then we should get back to being what we've always been, the same people.
Slainte mhath! Snail mac an-t-shassunaich. Alba gu brath!

Sally

« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2006, 10:54:57 PM »
This is an important topic which we need to consider very carefully as we creep gradually along the ageing road.
My husband and I (no his name's not Philip) have altered the way we own our home to Tenants in Common.  This splits the ownership of the property rather than joint ownership to a 50/50 split.  So - if the surviving one of us should need care then only 50% would be able to be claimed by Social Services.  The rest would be left for our children. This is very important and something we should all be looking at.