Author Topic: Out in the Garden  (Read 6666 times)

Terminator

Re: Out in the Garden
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2015, 06:10:41 PM »
Pete90+ I am the same as you my grass keeps on growing, just when I think thats it thats the last cut I have to do it again, or should I say the misses has to do it again as I am notg able to do so myself.

Beannie

« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2015, 06:38:50 PM »
It has already turned cold here. The logs came, all stacked away.. Have a lovely open fire lit and thinking about toasted crumpets.

Think it will be a frost this way as well Hugh.

Sounds really lovely especially as warburtons have started making an extra large crumpet Yummy
You don't have chestnuts as well do you . Don't see them anymore and they are gorgeous

Countryman

« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2015, 09:18:58 AM »
I am glad I'm not the only one who can still hear the grass grow. I cut it in November, which have never done before. It now needs cutting again. Can I really cut it in December?  :o

Citizen68

« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2015, 11:03:25 AM »
Countryman, I think you can but don't cut too short then if there's any frost it won't get to the roots?

Countryman

« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2015, 02:19:30 PM »
Thanks C68. I gave it a fairly 'long' cut in November. Maybe I'll leave it a while!

forrestgumph

« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2015, 04:29:02 PM »
I can't hear the grass growing but I can certainly see that it is my back lawn is like jungle I bet you the frogs and insects are loving it out there.  Talking about insects I have three bug hotels now and the birds are also loving the space so I am well pleased with them ;D

Beannie

« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2015, 04:51:42 PM »
I can't hear the grass growing but I can certainly see that it is my back lawn is like jungle I bet you the frogs and insects are loving it out there.  Talking about insects I have three bug hotels now and the birds are also loving the space so I am well pleased with them ;D

Forrestgummph , I actually bought from the RSPCA little teeny wooden houses that bees and insects can stay in for the winter and I think you are blooming great xxxxxxx
P.s. You may not like this but if I see frogs in my koi and gold fish pond sorry honestly sorry but I net them and put them back over my fence because I read that frogs try to mate with koi  

Hugh

« Reply #22 on: Dec 15, 2015, 06:21:49 PM »
They won't harm your Koi Beanie and putting a frog over a fence won't stop them returning.

Beannie

« Reply #23 on: Dec 15, 2015, 06:36:48 PM »
They won't harm your Koi Beanie and putting a frog over a fence won't stop them returning.

Oh wow ok Hugh thanks . I did see on the TV that frogs try to mate with the fish and they actually drown because of the frog hanging on . Do they have a homing instinct then ? xxx

Hugh

« Reply #24 on: Dec 15, 2015, 07:08:56 PM »
I use to have a pond in my garden and i do not live close to any stream or pond etc but frogs arrived. I thing you will have to keep an eye on your fish during the spring and catch and remove the frogs should there be a problem.

nanakath

« Reply #25 on: Feb 06, 2016, 02:16:04 AM »
Hi,I'm new to this forum, I have just aquirred an allotment (after a longish wait) it has raised beds with paved paths which are full of weeds, anyone got any tips on an organic weedkiller I could use? Or would I be better trying to remove them manually, I am worried about damaging the soil in the beds if I spray the paths. 

GrannyMac

« Reply #26 on: Feb 06, 2016, 06:05:14 AM »
Hello nanakath, welcome to PF. Well done taking on an allotment, raised beds sound just the thing.   Sorry I can't advise re weeds, but I'm sure there will be someone along who can! 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #27 on: Feb 06, 2016, 08:20:32 AM »
anyone got any tips on an organic weedkiller I could use? Or would I be better trying to remove them manually
Welcome to the forum nanakath!
Nothing like a repeated attack with your hands, trowel etc. Any weed killer will do far more damage than you will, I don't care what they say on the label!
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

Hugh

« Reply #28 on: Feb 06, 2016, 08:33:39 AM »
Nanakath welcome to the forum. Weeds are just unwanted plants but have taken goodness out of the soil, so this goodness should be returned via the compost heap.

Maddie Malone

« Reply #29 on: Feb 06, 2016, 08:38:34 AM »
Welcome nanakath my gardening days are over .
I'm sure someone on here will come up with a few suggestions .
Hope you enjoy the site 😀