Author Topic: Out in the Garden  (Read 6665 times)

nanakath

Re: Out in the Garden
« Reply #30 on: Feb 06, 2016, 11:37:12 AM »
Thanks for the welcome everyone, so looks like some hard work and the compost heap, I'm sure I will be on here on a regular basis asking for help and advice. I am quite daunted by the clearing up I need to do before I get going but I am also excited and can't wait to start growing, am reading loads from the net but I like the idea of swapping ideas and getting advice from 'real people'

Sheila

« Reply #31 on: Feb 06, 2016, 12:03:42 PM »
One of the most successful things we have done on our allotment was to create two asparagus beds.  I grew them from seed (much, much cheaper but requires patience).  Meanwhile my husband dug the soil out of the beds, put horse manure in and put the soil back. 

If you have grandchildren they will enjoy eating vegetables if they have picked them.  We grow pots of peas for our grandchildren and they pick and eat them raw.  It keeps them busy for ages.  We have not had success with growing them on the allotment.  I think the mice eat the seeds.

As I have already mentioned on the forum, we grow loads of tomatoes and freeze the soup in single portion pots so we are never short of something for lunch.  Broad beans also freeze well and it's worth taking the extra bit of trouble to take the skin off.  I blanch the beans for one minute, let them cool and then remove the skin.  One of our neighbours on the allotment loves the beans fried in bacon fat.

Good luck with your allotment nanakath.  It can be fun and very sociable.

zoony

« Reply #32 on: Feb 06, 2016, 12:15:13 PM »
Thanks for the welcome everyone, so looks like some hard work and the compost heap, I'm sure I will be on here on a regular basis asking for help and advice. I am quite daunted by the clearing up I need to do before I get going but I am also excited and can't wait to start growing, am reading loads from the net but I like the idea of swapping ideas and getting advice from 'real people' 

Hello nanakath. I'll add my welcome to that of the other folks if I may. My only tip is to contact your local Scout troop and, playing the old lady card, explain your situation and perhaps get a couple of strapping Boy Scouts who will happily volunteer to help. All it will cost you will be lots of cake and some soft drinks. ;-))

"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

stellamaris

« Reply #33 on: Feb 06, 2016, 12:17:06 PM »
Hello nanakath. If the weeds are really bad, I would go for killing them first, every time.  Tipnut.com have loads of recipes for home-made weed-killers, mostly involving strong vinegar, but I have also used bleach, as well as patio cleaner or any strong weedkiller.  I am merciless.  I have a cheap pump-action sprayer with a long thin nozzle.  I have various size plastic tubes, but taking the bottom out of such things as large or small plastic plant pots will do the job.  Plonk the tube/pot over the weeds and put the nozzle right into it and drench the things with whatever you have chosen.  Of course you need a spell of dry weather and not much wind, but you can leave it it covered while you move on the the next one with another shield,  until you are satisfied it has settled.  Then just slice the tops off every time a new one comes up.  They eventually give up. After a few years!!!
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

Sheila

« Reply #34 on: Feb 06, 2016, 12:21:30 PM »
I'm horrified stellamaris.  Bleach or chemicals on the soil and then eat the food produced from it!  Not for me.  :o :o   :)

stellamaris

« Reply #35 on: Feb 06, 2016, 12:27:55 PM »
Ooops! Sorry Sheila ;D   I realised after posting that I don't have a clue about allotments, I was thinking of paths.  Is vinegar terrible as well - can I get away with that :) :)
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

Sheila

« Reply #36 on: Feb 06, 2016, 12:59:46 PM »
I'm sure vinegar is fine although I have never heard of it being used to control weeds.  I'll google it.  It's so difficult to keep on top of the weeds on an allotment.  There are only two perfect allotments on our site and unfortunately they are next to ours!

firenze

« Reply #37 on: Feb 06, 2016, 03:43:04 PM »
Hello from me too Nanakath...growing can be joy.  I'm your woman with Figs😄😄😄  the members between them can sort most things.   Got to say I favour no killers ever  but the time tested pulling of weeds on sight is great, unless a Sheila grower with allotment experience.
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Sheila

« Reply #38 on: Feb 06, 2016, 04:02:16 PM »
Hi figlady.  How are you?

Hugh

« Reply #39 on: Feb 06, 2016, 04:46:59 PM »
Nanakath don't try to do much at once, a small section at a time but do it well. Have a good look at what your neighbors are growing that will give you a clue on the type of soil you have and what is worth growing. Nettles are a fast growing weed but if contained a gardeners friend. They are a breeding ground for garden friendly insects. Nettles left to soak in a barrel of water turns into a good garden feed, a dark liquid which needs diluting before use. It stinks so do not use near your home.

firenze

« Reply #40 on: Feb 06, 2016, 05:29:47 PM »
Hello Sheila the Tomatoe Soup lady ;D  the Fig lady must address her Figs and kill a few off or my take for my favourite recipe .....Poaching in Brandy and Butter given by the said Tomatoe Soup lady will fade into obscurity ;D

I'm well ducks Thankyou I have just recovered from the current virus of eating and drinking where hygiene was not maybe at no.1 in the  cafe. 😘
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Sheila

« Reply #41 on: Feb 06, 2016, 05:52:01 PM »

I don't think it was me who suggested poaching figs in brandy and butter.  Perhaps it was Rita.

Sorry to hear that you had a dodgy tum.  It's horrible when that happens.